Dog Rose

Dog Rose

A Poem by Delmar Cooper
"

Short rows of words that rhyme

"
(Dog Rose:  A semi-wild variety held by the ancients to cause fits of doggerel.)

A malicious pixie has been loose on my place.

I say to you, surely, into my garden she crept.

Dandelion, crab, and other grasses she seeded

On soil that I tilled, and nourished, and weeded.

She marred; she despoiled that one friable space

With weeds of all manner she sowed as I slept,

And lesser than I would have hung head and wept.

I’ll be up with the sun before the dew has receded

With rake and with trowel her mischief unmake

Revenge in the roses is the vengeance I’ll take

© 2021 Delmar Cooper


Author's Note

Delmar Cooper
I read a poem by rew (not her real name) about weeds and roses. Go see her poem for the real deal.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the rhyme scheme. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if you were the local english teacher always hyping up Shakespeare. Not a bad gig I think. All kidding aside, I thought this was pretty damn good verse. I don't garden anymore for the exact reasons you describe.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

1 Year Ago

Thanks for reading. No, not an educator and scarcely educated. This one was for rew a really amazi.. read more



Reviews

I like the tenacity of the poem as it forged ahead to the final line. Rosa canina! Wow, I had to look up some photos of it growing wild. I despair of weeding and ordering garden beds. But this appears to be a suited solution. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

1 Year Ago

For me to attempt any rhyme is an act of tenacity, so spot on with that. I like plants because they.. read more
I like the rhyme scheme. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if you were the local english teacher always hyping up Shakespeare. Not a bad gig I think. All kidding aside, I thought this was pretty damn good verse. I don't garden anymore for the exact reasons you describe.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

1 Year Ago

Thanks for reading. No, not an educator and scarcely educated. This one was for rew a really amazi.. read more
Your poem harkens to gardening in general, as there's always some scourge to mar the produce or prompt painful stooping to weed. I love the idea of personifying the evil garden plotter! (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

2 Years Ago

I don't know what they look like but there are evil spirits that plague gardens and see their handiw.. read more
goes to show that the best is wild and free to anyone who knows where to find it

Posted 2 Years Ago


Delmar Cooper

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and taking time to comment. Free is good.
 wordman

2 Years Ago

you`re welcome
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
rew
Dog rose? The pink dog Rose from which all other roses evolved from and incidentally is the national emblem of England.

This is the rose which has the most beautiful scent.
It grows wild amongst the hedgerows and is generally ignored by people passing by. But what one can find growing along side are brambles (blackberries) and crab apple trees and these also are, mostly, ignored.
Except by me!
I've got several lbs of blackberries in the freezer now from September's bounty and a few crab apples although I don't need to freeze these because they'll be around for quite a while.

Crab apples feature in Shakespeare - think Greasy Joan keeling the pot - I've used a few just recently in a pork casserole, cored but not peeled, they just add, more taste...hmmm, Gorgeous.

The blackberries? I use a few with muesli defrosted of course. Or if have the oven on for a roast joint (meat not Maryjane) I might slice a crab apple and interleave the slices with that fruit with just a tiny amount of added sugar.

Blackberries are also featured in literature - Margarette Atwood for one - and my favorite simple blackberry rhyme - " blackberry-picking " by Seamus Heaney.
(because it reminds me of me and my grandma, doing the same)

Rew.




Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

2 Years Ago

We are accustomed to blackberries where I live my grandmother made wonderful blackberry cobbler as w.. read more
It's been raining for weeks where I am, and weeds love it. They're growing so fast. If I'm not careful they'll overrun everything. So, I can totally relate to this poem. :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

2 Years Ago

We too have had rains worthy of Noah. Weeds and mosquitoes thrive.
I think she might be visiting my "garden", too. So many veggie fatalities, I'm sure it isn't my fault. "Yeah, right", says the tomato ghost. This is an enjoyable poem to read. Makes me see vivid images.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. Here in Alabama we don't count our tomatoes until they're sliced , so many pest.. read more
there is unrest in the fields but he will not go gently into that good garden! all manner of intruders will blow to defile the toil of hands bled for the sanctity of province! fight you must with hatchet spade or scythe to vanquish the interlopers who would steal your sweated bounty! rage my friend... RAGE

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Rage? Well I am slightly pissed off. I'll plead down to that.
You have humour Delmar. I like that. You know any gardner worth his salt knows that he has to invest as much time removing weeds as planting potential beauties. I like the dog rose, mainly in hedgerows. That rhymes too. This is definitely a poem. Doggerel is for others not on this page:)

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

So there is Dog Rose after all? I constructed the creature to fit my needs. Now I find it was the.. read more
Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Yes, and very fragile and pretty pink it is too :)
I'd say this is the real deal! Took me back in time, feels like your garden is beneath a castle in England. Lovely poem, darned dog rose.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and for graciously assuming I have a castle, a real garden and a rose when all I .. read more
PamiAnde

3 Years Ago

Asked my husband ("Wilford") what "doggerel" was. You're funny. And you're welcome!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 8, 2021
Last Updated on March 8, 2021

Author

Delmar Cooper
Delmar Cooper

Trussville, AL



About
I write- a little. I don't write to reinvent the wheel, or discover fire. I just drag along from sentence to sentence hoping for a spark. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


Leaves Leaves

A Poem by ...