End of Civilization

End of Civilization

A Story by Desert Dreamer
"

thoughts on end of world predictions

"

Since the nuclear disaster in Japan, I haven't had much inspiration to write.  Somehow, upon pondering the meanings of a possible end to the world, I felt inspiration returning.

 

If today is the end of the world, I say "Hooray"!
Since the world equals civilization to modern humans, does that mean it is the end of civilization?
If so, I'll be celebrating later, and the earth will breathe a sigh of relief.

I won't be among those ascending to heaven, obviously, thankfully.
I live in the physical world and have no hopes for an afterlife, it is such a joy just being alive, why should I ask for more?
Will this mean no more cars, no more electricity, no more air conditioner, no more bills, no more work (living is a different kind of work, a pleasurable one, I guess I mean no more meaningless work), no more computer...
time to remember the ways of my ancestors, to live in balance with the earth.

(I really don't believe the end of world rumors - having fun with the idea in my imagination)

 

If electricity were gone, I worry about all those nuclear power plants around the world....oh, maybe it wouldn't be so good to have electricity go away overnight. Can we keep the electrons flowing long enough to power down those reactors so there isn't a global nuclear meltdown?

I am still depressed about the disaster in Japan, knowing there is nuclear fallout to some degree all over the northern hemisphere. I suppose I am glad it hasn't rained here much. Nuclear energy is not the answer so many claim it is.

What I see from my observations is that civilization is killing the planet, there is no need for a prophecy to predict where things are going. The oil will run out (or at least get too scarce/expensive to use at the current rates) or the world will become too polluted to live in, or maybe all the oppressed people out there will get angry about having their resources stolen and their lands polluted to support industrialized nations. It isn't too difficult to put together the numbers and see that civilization as it is can't continue indefinitely...

So maybe there is some truth to the prophecy. It is time for another empire to fall. Currently about 150 or more species go extinct every day (yes, every day!!!) due to the actions of people, mostly industry, it is turning into another (sixth?) great extinction on the planet. At some point, we will be effected, after all, this earth is our home as well, and we depend on other living things in order to live...

Is there anything I can do to speed up the destruction of civilization?
I look forward to the end of civilization, for the trees, for the rivers, for the birds, for the polar bears, for the salmon, for the humans, too.
I prefer to live in a healthy world.

© 2011 Desert Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It is good to ponder on these things...it is true that we are destroying our planet. We are taking more than our share, at the expense of trees, rivers, birds, polar bears and salmon. We have to take responsiblity for our own actions. It starts with each one of us. Especially here in the US. We have built a society of materialistic gluttony - our insatiable appetite for newer and better things trying to live the "American Dream." Leaving behind a monumental heap of refuse. Feeding into the media's perception of "success." buy this, eat that, then soothe your aches and pains with this medication.
I tell my students...look at the traditional way of life for our Native people. We lived in hogans, teepees wikiups. We could take down our dwellings (mud, logs and grass and within a short time frame, you could not tell anyone lived there. Try that today in the houses we live in now.

And they called us savages.... we were living in harmony with our surroundings.

I like to remind them frequently -in many of our beliefs, habits, and way of life...we are far beyond the dominant society we live in today. We need to help our "Wasichu" brothers learn a more balanced way to live.
Sadly...I see more of my people buying into the frenzy and chaos of capitalism and forgetting the traditional ways that protected our people.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The time for change has passed...we must somehow band together as one voice and be heard.... pity we can't gather everyones collective writes, art ect on this subject and publish a book....
Take care hon
peace & love

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wonder when we'll truly accept the fact that we arrived on earth alongside the creatures and plants, all shapes and sizes. Man is only a small part of what there is on this planet earth and as such should - by rights, inter-act, protect, share

It's only our arrogant belief in our power to take in and use knowledge that makes us act like fools. Few use their given instincts because most have forgotten how, consequently, excess takes the place of instinct, that means mis-use of what's in life: creatures become encumbrances and amenities, the earth is for digging up, detonatating and so it goes on.

Man lives to succeed .. in the process he'll fail, his home will explode into space .. and just because we won't be here to see it happen, we don't care.

OOps, off my soap box .. a brilliant post, one to bite on and savour. Thank you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story is one of the most selfless thoughts pertaining to the end of the world that I had the delight of reading. When it comes to the world ending, everyone seems to be so afraid of death and the unknown, and the idea of everything in this universe truly being finite in lifetime. But it really touched me to read about the end of civilization meaning the almost "rebirth" of planet Earth without all the artificalities and destruction.

"I live in the physical world and have no hopes for an afterlife, it is such a joy just being alive, why should I ask for more?"

Even when faced with death people are selfish to yearn for a good life, so concerned with good works and good, and what it means to be good when it all seems so selfish in the end... but that one line to me defined what it means to be good... to just be selfless and be grateful instead of grabbing for more at the given opportunity. Thank you for the eye opening read.



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wonderful wonderings

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My Dear Writing Friend Alleqaq Cakaar Eluciq,
I have pondered your write for hours. My thoughts may run contrary to yours but I ask you hear me out as I try to speak with straight eyes. You and I are descendents of the Unhzah’ Ina, In English that is the First Peoples of North America. We think different; we look at things in the context of Deep Time. A time when we were free and secure, a time ruled by customs, traditions, and spiritual beliefs that shaped our environment, a time of sovereignty when the Great Spirit, Nageltani Gela, was sought with all our being and was seen in nature. A time when nature and Unhzah’ Ina were one. A time when we all walked with straight eyes.
Now the world seems to have gone berserk. Greed rules, at the cost of the environment. And because it is this way it is all the more reason for we Unhzah’ Ina need to go back to the teachings of Deep time and not measuring ourselves by European standards. If all hell breaks loose and a few pockets of humanity survive, we will need to teach them the concepts of Deep Time so they will respect Nature, and each other. And if this happens we may be blessed by stopping the cycle of destruction of the nature, our very soul.
Who know’s, you may some day teach others Yuuyaraq, In English this means the way of the human being. A way that respects Deep Time and its oneness with nature as you walk with straight eyes and walk without shame!


Blessings My Sister, Ggagga Nk’dlih


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cycles of these thoughts are natural I think.....I think a lot of people would gladly sacrifice themselves if the earth could live in freedom!
I know you know my thoughts on this from AB lovely, so shall leave it there lol
But, wow! This piece made me want to give you a hug :)
xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Somedays I too wish we could just start over... but in the same right I still love what we have. Yes we are disorganized and chaotic in our thinking but I still believe in humanity and that we can turn it around.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice, solid work. I have to agree with you.

I wrote these lines in a recent poem

"Civilization is simply a myth
Once the electric flow quits"

"You see why we embrace the void
It's a fate we cannot really avoid"

Humans can't seem to avoid it, there always seems to be a faction of us, if not the majority of us that wants us to consume everything in our path and no leave some blue up above and leave us green on the ground. It's really sad.

This is a solid piece of work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well thought out and written. I think you did an excellent job expressing your thoughts and opinions.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nizhoni...great writing, and profound thoughts.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

690 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 22, 2011
Last Updated on July 14, 2011
Tags: civilization, end, world, predictions

Author

Desert Dreamer
Desert Dreamer

Sonoran Desert, AZ



About
I joined Writers Cafe to inspire and be inspired, I hope you are looking for the same. I always review other peoples writing in return for a review (sometimes I am slow) and I look forward to any con.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Crossing Crossing

A Poem by Robin


Kisses Kisses

A Poem by Robin


Night train Night train

A Poem by Robin


Old Man Old Man

A Poem by Robin