A tale of Fenrir

A tale of Fenrir

A Chapter by DVampire

(There are many was of telling this fine tale. One of them has found its way to my hall and step. When I heard it, it was from an old woman, a Helja Runar (another name for Erulian) who told me many stories of the old ways. And though this may not be the exact re-telling of more famous poets, each story is told in its own way, each story possessing truths of its own. So I warn you thus, if this story is not like the one you have heard, do not dispute a dead-woman’s words, but take it as a simple story of old from a different point of view. ~Spaerunn Helgardar)


They say that long ago, when the gods of Asgard and the gods of Vanaheim were at peace, the world of Midgard found its golden age. The goddesses of Wyrd, the three sisters known as the Norns, foretold the end of the world… telling the all father, Woden, through the seer Voulspa.


Ragnarok, the end of the world, would be hastened by the children of Loki. Jormungandr was said to strike the world dead, poisoning the sky. Fenrir would devour all the gods, including Odin himself. And Helja would weave a shadow over the world, casting it into darkness eternal.


For this, the children must be disposed of. But Odin was not unwise and not a cruel man, though many would make such claims of the All-Father. He devised a plan to keep them all from the world itself and from the Ragnarok.


The three children of Loki and Angrbroda, Odin did summon:


Jormangandr, the great serpent, he threw within the ocean of Midgard. The serpent grew so large that it encompassed the world itself, biting its own tail. Odin knew that by doing this he would protect Midgard for many years to come from the accursed Giants.


Hel, goddess of shadows, he banished her to the lands of Nifelheim. There she met the old goddess of death and life, Helga, and with her help learned the domains of the dead and living. It was from there that deep within the ice she would create a city where the dead could rest…Eljudinir. This domain would be where all in the nine-worlds would come to be judged. Odin knew that by doing this, he had given the world further order to those who passed from old age, sickness, or from hard work. In her world, past the nine gates called Nagrind, the evil would be laid upon the frozen shores of her city and devoured by Niddhog, the chaos dragon, and the good would sleep until their next incarnation deep within her halls.


Fenrir, the great wolf lord, he is gave to the god Tyr. For only Tyr was brave enough to feed and care for the “monster”. Odin knew that by doing this perhaps the monster would be made friendly, and the love and strength of the god of warriors would instill discipline and honor in the creature.


Many years passed, but finally the wolf became too large for Tyr to handle. The great god, Fenrir, lord of the wolves, began to run across the lands of Midgard challenging all who would get into his way. Fenrir killed many gods and people alike.


Odin called his court together and asked of the gods to slay the great beast. But none dared to answer, for fear of the creature who could kill gods. But even if they had been brave enough to answer, none would…for in their midst sat Tyr, his eyes filled with tears. He looked up at the All-Father and announced himself, saying that he and only he would slay Fenrir… his once long time friend.


But Tyr did not wish to kill the great wolf, and so he traveled to the Dvergar (the dwarves). With dwarven craft Tyr drew forth the magical silver from the ground itself, made pure by the smith magic of the Volunder. He had them mine the special metal of magical silver known as Mithril. He then traveled to the Alfar (the elves). To them he requested many things: the sound of a cat’s footfall, the beard of a woman, the roots of a mountain, bear’s sinews, fish’s breath, and bird’s spittle. After gathering these, he took them to the great smith Wayland, and the ancient weapon smith of the gods forged him two magical chains: one named Loethinger, the other Dromi. With elven craft and with the ingredients gained from dwarf and elf, a cord was forged that they named Glipnir. Tyr wove the magical silver into a cord that nothing could break, not even a god….and it was from this gift, they say, that the great God Tyr would bind Fenris himself. 


Tyr traveled to the isle of Lyngiv in a lake called Amsvartnir, and there he faced the great wolf god. It was there that Tyr challenged the great wolf to the Holmgang (a battle of honor). But before these two great beings would do battle, Tyr wished to see great feats of strength, so that if the wolf god lost the Holmgang, Tyr would be able to tell his great deeds to the world.


Fenrir laughed at this, but agreed to placate the warrior god, for he did not think that he would lose. The first challenge was that of Loethinger, a chain made of earth and and fire. Fenrir tore this chain in twain easily. The second challenge was that of Dromi, a chain made of water and air. Fenrir tore this chain to shreds as well. The third challenge was that of Glipnir. Fenrir saw how thin the cord was…silver and thin, elven make yet of dwarven metal. He sensed a deception. He promised to take the challenge only if the warrior god promised to place his hand into the wolfs mouth…thus ensuring that Tyr would keep his word to free him if he was truly bound. Tyr agreed.


Tyr stood forth and placed his hand in the wolf’s mouth, wrapping the loop around Fenrir’s neck. Instantly, the god was bound, and he growled, demanding to be freed. Tyr refused the god, and thus his hand became forfeit. Tyr took the god wolf Fenrir to a place where he knew that he would never harm another, and sent him to live upon the moon. Tyr drove a silver pin deep within a stone called Gijoll. He buried this stone deep within the moon to the heart of it, called Thiviti, so that the wolf god could not leave. Tyr then thrust into his mouth a sword called Berkvai: the guards caught in his lower jaw, and the point in the upper. This became his gag. He howled hideously, and slaver ran out of his mouth: This formed a river that is called Van; there he lies till the Twilight of the Gods.


To this day, we know that the wolf god Fenrir is tied to the moon, for the wolves of Midgard still howl in homage to their bound deity.

 



© 2011 DVampire


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on December 13, 2011
Last Updated on December 13, 2011


Author

DVampire
DVampire

Varna, Bulgaria



About
I love Vampires I love music I love books I love movies (animes, Asian dramas) Dark Angel Generator more..

Writing
SECRET ORDER [1] SECRET ORDER [1]

A Chapter by DVampire