The Sister and the Mirror

The Sister and the Mirror

A Story by DETHRAE
"

short tale about vanity...and evil

"
Once..there were two sisters.
They lived in a tree cabin with their mother.
One was elegant, her room furnished with wonderful artifacts and decorations bought by her and found throughout her travels.
The other sister cared not of fancies, yet did not understand why her sister pampered herself so.
What is in true beauty? She wondered.
Relying on her intuitions and feelings, she never discovered the answer.

Then one day, when the other's door was open and she was away, the sister peeked into the room.
Out of all the glimmering antiques, a plate of mimicking image struck her reflection.
Finally the sister knew her sister's vanity derived from the advantage of direct reflection.
All her expression, movement, impressions could be seen and altered according to what she saw, not truly felt.
Is the way she looks even real?

There were too many incomprehensible products the sister did not bother using them for herself.
She might have been allergic.
Suddenly, her sister entered the cabin and was arriving to her room.
The sister gasped and took one last glance in the mirror before fleeing her sister's room.
The other sister entered the room and everything was fine.

It goes on. For a while the sister waited for another day she could look into that mirror again.
She tried simply imagining herself, and how she would look in that mirror if she made certain movements and gestures, but it was not the same.
Imagining a distorted memory compared to seeing yourself in the present, the now.
She could not resist the desire to see herself.

One stirring thought about her was how she could look different, changed, and not know it.
It did not conjure jealousy, for she could have had gotten one too, and mother does not have one either, but it is too late now.
Nothing to pray for, however.
Her instincts have proven accurate so far in her life.

It was hard, very difficult, to resist any longer.
The sister needed the mirror.
One evening, that before a holiday, the sister asked the other if she could investigate her room for a stray ferret lurking around the cabin stealing things. 
She lied that she was missing a charm, a fancy one part of a bracelet assemblage, shaped like a fox's ear. 
The other sister complied, and there they were in the same room. 
The other's, of course.
The sister looked in the mirror and saw herself, adoring.
When the other sister grew impatient and knew the investigation was over, she began forcing the sister out of the room.
The sister refused and a fight ensued.
Then the sister thought she could steal the mirror, and whilst fleeing with it smashed it as the other sister pulled her back.
The sister became insane and sliced at the other sister, with a shard, which shared a glimpse of her wild reflection with every swing.
The other sister was torn up and blood ruined the shining decorations in her room.
As the sister sat there, viewing herself in the mirror shards, her mother was heard coming up the stairs.
The mother shuddered and exclaimed in angst of awe of terror, aghast.
The sister just smiled

© 2013 DETHRAE


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on April 2, 2013
Last Updated on April 2, 2013

Author

DETHRAE
DETHRAE

PA



About
I decided to post on this site because of easy-to-use publishing and the community. Hopefully I get some reviews/feedback, still I don't know exactly what I'll be posting here.. more..

Writing
Fish Wars Fish Wars

A Story by DETHRAE


Batman dream Batman dream

A Story by DETHRAE