A True Man

A True Man

A Chapter by Dev Rana
"

Martin has a decision to make a life-changing decision.

"
"Join... Goldsworthy!!?" I asked doubtfully.

"How many times do you want me to repeat it, Martin? replied Bruce.

That-- That was the start. I eventually started feeling a little nervous, the mafia is itself a substantial name. There might be more like me who would've heard the rumors about the mafia in New Port so it was actually a difficult decision for me. I stood up and I went to my fridge, I stood there for like 7 seconds and then I opened the door and took a water bottle out of it. I opened it and I just drank a bit when Bruce spoke up.

"I understand that you might be nervous... Well, it's not an easy question for anyone out there. I mean we are mafia, right? That's what you citizens call us, ain't that, Martin?" said Bruce.

My body was creeped out at that moment. I had no words which I could say, I couldn't process anything. Knowing that a mafia is sitting in my house, whom I have operated on is just a chilling moment for me. My heart was popping like a jet, I was honestly... Scared.

"I am concerned about a lot of things. What about the police? What about my family? Wha-" said I, and then I was interrupted by him.

"You have a family, Martin? I did not anticipate that... I mean... look at this place! Don't tell me you live here with your parents or someone." said Bruce.

"No no no! You are judging it all wrong! I do live here and I own this place too but my family does not live with me. They live in Cherry County. I arrived at New Port around a year ago for my job as a surgeon, which now I am not."

"You are now not a surgeon? Please elaborate, Martin."

"Well... If I break it down to basics, I operated a man under while I was not sober so... I lost my job. The hospital does not need me anymore, I am really ash-" 

"Which hospital is it?

"Port Central."

"Ha! You really are very unknown to facts, Martin."

"Why? What happened?"

That was the moment that changed my fate, my decision, my life. Bruce stood up, took his phone out, and called someone. He called him Charlie. When the phone was answered, he had to answer a few questions, where was he? What he has been doing? Is he injured and a few more. I wasn't surprised because it did not come as a shock to me... I mean, they're mafia! I wasn't able to hear all the chit-chat that he did but what alarmed me was one of his sentences. He said, "Tell Matt to call the surgeon back, and that's an order." This statement from him was unexpected. I did not know what he wanted to prove but whatever it was, I was reassured. 

"Martin, you can expect a call from the hospital." said Bruce.

"You... Really mean that?" replied I in a weird fascination.

"Yeah Martin, I do mean that."

These words of him. This moment... This particular moment... Changed my decision. Look at him! The most famous hospital in the city runs on his orders, he just calls someone and boom! I will get my job back! But... who needs it now?

"Bruce, could you do a favour for me please?"

"Anything for you, Marty Boy!"

"Call that guy of yours and tell him to not contact the hospital."

"Martin... Are you out of your mind?"

"I am certainly not, Bruce. I am out of this job now, because I think I found a better one."

There was a moment of silence between us. He was staring at me as he knew what was I gonna say but he did not open his mouth. He just stared at me.

"Do you know Martin, that what us mafias are known as?"

"What?"

"A True Man. Now follow me, I have important business at home."

"I think we are gonna need my car so I better get the keys."

"No thank you, Martin. The cars are on the streets already, just follow me."

I glanced by the window and I saw 5 black cars, each of them of different models standing on the street. I now have chosen my destiny... My destiny was to become... A True Man.


© 2020 Dev Rana


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

23 Views
Added on May 9, 2020
Last Updated on May 9, 2020


Author

Dev Rana
Dev Rana

Aligarh, India



Writing
Martin Langton Martin Langton

A Chapter by Dev Rana