The Ghost June 2016 Issue: Without

The Ghost June 2016 Issue: Without

A Screenplay by Daniel Rodriguez
"

Rick Hart is missing. Can his ghostly sister find out where he is and stop a mob boss hellbent on revenge?

"
The Ghost June 2016 Issue

Without

By Daniel Rodriguez


Ghost: I hear voices. They tell me to do things. They cry out for vengeance and justice. Only I can answer their call. The dead must find rest. They shall be avenged. I am "The Ghost".

Announcer: The Ghost!

FX: Wind

Announcer: Fighting for the supernatural, defying those who would take advantage of spirits, and keeping the boundaries safe. When the dead can't speak!

(Music; something mystical)

Announcer: Born able to communicate with the dead, Rick Hart, Private Eye, has established an agency secretly dedicated to serving those who passed and keeping balance in the two worlds. Should there be a murder most foul, should there be a grave threat to the powers that be. Then prepare for an otherworldly encounter with The Ghost!

FX: Clock counting down the time till it rings midnight.

Announcer: The fates have set. The time has come for the fantastic adventure of paranormal proportions. Without.

Pause.

Malina: Perhaps it all started years ago. The murder, the quest for revenge, a dead body, and a case half closed for me and my living brother, Rick Hart. There would be nights, when he would sit, and look at me and ask, when will it come for us? I would respond, I do not know. He would then go back to his news paper, whatever assignment he decided to take on, and I would continue with my existence as well. One night ago, we walked unknowingly into the final act.

FX: Car parking on pavement.

FX; Door opens

FX: Foot Steps

Gangster 1: So, I see you are late.

Gangster 2: I was early, you weren’t here.

Gangster 1: I have this thing about being on time. It shows I give my word. My word is very important. You keep your word, you gain a reputation. You don’t keep your word you get…a reputation.

Gangster 2: You keep telling everyone your moves, you going to make an easy target.

Gangster 1: I keep things peaceful and civilized. I do good business. You have to be some kind of evil to drop a guy who does good business.

Gangster 3: You saying we should trust this guy because he thinks he is honest?

Gangster 2: There isn’t an honest person on your entire crew.

Gangster 1: Are we sure we want to start this meeting hostile? They say people who are paranoid of others reflect how truly trustworthy they really are. We are done here.

FX: Walking away.

Gangster 2: Stop!

FX: Walking halts.

Gangster 1: You don’t trust me, fine…

Gangster 2: No. You just insulted me, then turned your back.

Gangster 1: I know you are new at this, your brother, now he was a big fish, and you got shoes to fill so I understand why you are putting pressure on me to size me up. But me and your brother, we had respect. So much respect that we would go for drinks after a big deal. But look at you. You are glaring, your hand is just itching to reach for your gun, and as I stare into those eyes, I don’t see a man who has come to make a deal.

Gangster 3: Lets get out of here.

Gangster 2: No. This deal is happening, and then we go.

Gangster 3: But he has called you out. And he has insulted you.

Gangster 1: This was never about the deal was it? You think I killed your brother.

Gangster 3: It looked like your crew’s style.

Gangster 1: Look me in the eyes. Did I kill your brother?

Gangster 2: No, you don’t have the face of a killer.

FX: Distant walking closer.

Gangster 3: Looks like we have company.

Gangster 1: Who is there?

Tony: Hello boys.

Gangster 2: What? Who are you?

Tony: Don’t you recognize your brother?

Gangster 1: Tony? But you are dead? I heard you died a week ago.

Gangster 3: Boss? But…

Tony: Oh, I am very much dead. Isnt that right Joel?

Gangster 2: No. You are just trying to frisk us for a scam.

FX: Gun clicks.

Gangster 2: I don’t know who you are but you are a dead man…

Tony: I am dead. Yes. We have established that.

Gangster 3: But we buried you.

Tony: And one of you killed me as well.

Malina: Rick, this situation is going to get violent, you should switch back now.

Rick: No, let him continue to borrow my body, we need a confession before the police arrive. Tony, do you think you can get your brother to confess?

Tony: Come on little Joel.

Gangster 2: I am not little.

Tony: You were always too big for those size 29 pants.

Gangster 2: These are not 29’s!

Tony: How were you able to have mother cook you dinner the night after. How were you able to cry on her shoulder?

Gangster 2: I don’t know you.

Tony: You don’t know family, that is true. I mean what kind of family, kills their own brother so they could take over the business?

Gangster 2: The business? You were a joke! We had no claws because of you. We were a gang, and you pretended we were no different than those sheep who pay money, pay taxes, and have nothing to worry about. We were once feared in all the city. But you had to put business first and we became a joke. At any point some nobody could take us out, because did we have guns? No we didn’t have guns! Drugs? When you started to lower our intake…

Tony: You wanted to run through children.

Gangster 2: We had five high density high schools in our territory, prime market! You slapped me, in front of my men…

Tony: You were going to sell to children!

Gangster 2: And you treated me like a child. Me, the one with an actual vision for our family in crew. Why does mom still live in a two bedroom house, two streats away from the worst neighboorhood in town? You are such a hypocrite.

Tony: Put the gun down, and we can talk this over like men.

Gangster 2: Like men? You who treated me like a child, disrespected me in front of my people, trade insults even now… No. I have a better idea. How about I kill this person right now, your good friends.

Gangster 1: Whoa wait!

Gangster 2: He runs with our rivals anways, I will be doing this world a favor. Brother, what can you do to stop me?

Tony: Just tell me, before you kill him, why did you kill me? I deserve to know that much.

Gangster 2: Really, what it has always been about, power. That is why dear brother, I killed you. Because I am stronger than you, and I needed you to know that, as you laid dying.

Tony: You can have your body back. I am happy.

Ghost: Thank you.

Gangster 2: Did you just…ugh…

FX: Tussling.

Gangster 2: What kind of freak are you? Where did my brother go? You aren’t him.

FX:  Gunshots.

Malina: Rick look out!

Gangster 1: I am out of here!

FX: Sirens.

Gangster 3: The cops! Lets go…

Gangster 2: Let go…of me..

FX; Falling on pavement.

FX: Punch.

Malina: Looks like you knocked him out cold. I doubt he will be getting up.

Officer (distant): I heard gunshots this way.

Ghost: Alright, lets get out of here, we have ended this case.

Officer: Don’t move.

Gangster 2: ugh…

Malina: Um Rick…hes moving…

Ghost: What?
Gangster 2: (yells)

FX: Smack!

Malina: RICK!

Ghost: ugh….

Malina: He just pistol whipped you!

Ghost: (grunts)

FX: Punch.

Malina: Rick, you’re bleeding.

Ghost: Hes down for good this time, lets go!

FX: Running away

Officer: Come back here! Hey, whose this… Well I’ll be. Joel “Sal” Salvatore.

Officer 2: And next to him. Is that a tape recorder?

Officer: Gentlemen, I think what we just saw was a brief encounter with The Ghost. Who wants to bet there is one scary confession on here. Joel Salvatore, you are coming with us.

Dramatic Music.

Malina: He was hurt pretty bad afterwards. I laughed at him. Made fun of whatever man flu he felt like he was having and called it a done deal. However he seemed shaken up. We got into scraps before, but it always scares him when someone gets the drop on him. Had that man not shot his entire magazine, my brother could be dead. Not a very comforting thought and I think he knew that too. His days as a super hero almost undone in one instant in one random case by a nobody. Twice that evening he looked like he wanted to say something, but instead hung his head low and stayed in his silence. After thirty minutes he went to his room and I decided to seek entertainment for the night. Morning approached not long after. Before long, it was noon when I decided to check in on my brother at our office.

FX: Phone rings.

Linda: This is Rick Hart’s office. Mr. Hart is not in at the moment. This is Linda speaking, can I take a message?

Pause.

Linda: Oh hi. No. I havent been able to reach him all day. He gave me a key and on occasion I hold down the fort for him while he is gone. But I havent heard from him since yesterday. No. I am sure it is nothing serious. Rick isn’t the type to get into trouble. I mean he gets into a mess of trouble atleast three times a week. Just the other day we stumbled onto a murder…No. I don’t think you want to hear that. What I mean is… I just don’t think he is the type to get hurt or disapear. Sorry, your right I am rambling. It’s about 2 pm. Okay, just leave your number. I will make sure he gives you a call. Uh huh. Yes. I will definitely bring it to his attention.

FX; Phone hangs up

Linda: Rick.. Where are you?

FX: Temporal sound

Malina: Rick?

Linda: Whats the point of organizing all these dates, appointments, and folders if you arent even hear to look at these. I better be getting paid for this. My bills wont be payable at this rate.

Malina: I could tell the moment I walked in that the office felt too empty. There she was, Linda. Rick’s secretary and daily dose of human interaction outside of his cases and his meetings with the police. I never understood why she stayed at this job for all these years.

Linda: (Sighs)

Malina: I couldn’t tell if she was bored, or if she was pining slash worried over my brother in his absence. Although her saying that it was 2 pm got me worried. I had spent the night out in one of the more pro deceased neighborhoods to notice that he was gone. But my brother was always a workaholic. So, I walked into his office after a silent knock which received no answer.

Malina: Rick?

Malina: He wasn’t there.

Linda: Hello? Oh hi Detective Thomas. No. This is his secretary Linda. How goes the police world? You don’t have time for that? You need to speak with my boss? He isn’t here. I don’t know where he is. I am sorry. Do you want me to leave a message?

Malina: I could hear them in the other room, although it wasn’t like Detective Thomas to call on Rick unless he was desperate. I began to listen in.

Det. Thomas: Are you sure he isn’t there.

Linda: I am as sure as can possibly be. I am going to be honest. I am kind of worried.

Det. Thomas: Even when he was my partner on the force, he would often jump head first into things and leave me behind. But he always came out okay.

Linda: How long should I wait before I try looking for him.

Det. Thomas: Okay, I will call back later, but I am sure he is fine.

Linda: Okay then, I am sure he will be here then.

FX: Clicks.

Malina: I cast my thoughts aside and went back to look in his office. I was sure that if Rick had an emergency he would have left some clue behind.

Malina: Okay, where is it?

FX: drawer opens.

Malina: Nothing.

FX: Drawer Opening.

Malina: More nothing. Okay brother, if I were you…

Malina: As usual, the most obvious clue is the one right under the nose. It was a file, just hanging on his desk, literally. The file was open and pages were on the floor with half of the folder still on top. I instantly began searching the contents.

FX: Paper shuffling.

Malina: Se-ren-to.

FX: Paper shuffling.

Malina: The Serento case. It rings a bell. But the dates, they are a few years old. Why would you be looking at this?

Malina: Not waiting for my brother to maybe one day decide to return I decided to take some initiative of my own. There is an old tavern, abandoned, never reopened. We ghosts call it The Live Club. Nothing fancy to it, just a social place where my type gather to get social while we are stuck in this plane. It wasn’t the drinks or the company of kindred spirits I was seeking though.

Bartender: Malina Hart. I didn’t think I would be seeing you again soon.

Malina: Hello. How goes the business?

Bartender: Slow lately. But we get some interesting folk now and then. Can I offer you something?

Malina: Not today.

Bartender: Then what brings you to my neck of the woods? Last you were here, some spookster was laying low. Is that the case again?

Malina: I am here for information. Have you seen Matches or Books anywhere?

Bartender: Books is gone for awhile. He made enemies with someone and is in hiding, his brother though is still here. Hey Matches!

Matches: What? I am trying to nap here.

Bartender: No napping in my establishment.

Matches: Fine fine fine. What do you need. My tab is square.

Malina: Hello Matches.

Matches: Oh no. Not you.

Malina: I am just looking for information.

Matches: You and your weird flesh blood brother of yours are bad for business!

Malina: I am looking for him.

Matches: The infamous “The Ghost” is missing? A living person who goes by the name of the Ghost, is missing and you are looking to the actual ghost world to see if we can find him?

Malina: I figure you wouldn’t know where my brother is.

Matches: That Hart fellow is more trouble than I want to associate with.

Malina: Matches and his brother Books, they were information peddlers when they were alive. Problem is, they had too much info and were caught burried in shallow graves. However since they became spirits, they continued to grow an information network and if ever anyone needs information, for a price, you go to them.

Malina: Okay, forget about my dumb brother.

Matches: Guy runs around in a costume, have you tried to convince him to commit himself to a mental assylum.

Malina: Several times.

Matches: Well you havent done us any favors by failing to get him help.

Malina: Okay, now you are just being mean. I wont have you speak of him like that.

Matches: Okay, okay, what are you here for anyways?

Malina: Serento.

Matches: Sir Ando?

Malina: The heck is a Sir Ando? I said Serento.

Matches: Serento, oh yeah. Wait.

Pause.

Malina: Yes?

Matches: You just said Serento.

Malina: So I did, I need information.

Matches: You should not seek this line of query, especially from me. I mean I am dead already but I wont go poking around looking into that hornets nest.

Malina: Why is it a hornets nest?

Matches: You don’t know Serento?

Malina: Should I?

Matches: Your brother, he killed him.

Dramatic Music.

Malina: He told me to stay away, but for some reason, I feel like the rabbit hole was getting bigger. With each step I took outside that tavern and made my way back towards main street…

Punk: Hey.

Malina: Excuse me?

FX: Punch.

Malina: Ugh.

Punk: We hear you looking for someone.

Punk 2: (laughs) Yeah. We hear you looking for someone.

Malina: I heard you the first time.

Punk: Well maybe you better stop before things get a little serious.

Malina: What are you talking about.

Punk: Sleeping dogs. Let Serento go, and you can be onto your merry afterlife.

Malina: Is this a threat?

Punk 2: Definitely, it is definitely a threat. (laughs)

FX: Walking away.

Malina: So, I must be onto some track. The right track or a worse track.

Punk: By the way… there are worse fates than death. Don’t want you to find out what some of those are.

Punk 2: (laughs)

Fade into

FX: Phone Ringing

Linda: Hello, you have reached private detective Rick Hart’s office. This is Linda speaking.

Det. Thomas: It is currently 6 pm.

Linda; It is? I havent noticed the time.

Det. Thomas: Why are you still there? Let me guess, he still hasn’t shown up.

Linda: He hasn’t even called. I… I am really worried.

Det. Thomas: Dang. I really needed him.

Linda: Detective?

Det. Thomas: Yes?

Linda: He isn’t home, he isn’t at his usual places. Rick… I mean Mr. Hart…he is a missing person.

Det. Thomas: I was afraid this would happen.

Linda: I know it is sudden but…

Det. Thomas: I am coming over now. Stay there.

Malina; Home. It is lonely here. Ouch, that bully hits like a frieght train. What time is it? 9?

FX: Crack

Malina: Who is it? Who is here? This is my home.

Page: Ms. Hart?

Malina: Yes?

Page: Can you come outside?

FX; Walking.

FX; Phase

Malina: I don’t need you knocking, what is going on?

Page: I was sent by The Barber.

Malina: The Barber? Why would he want to meet with me?

Page: You are looking for Serento, right?

Malina: Yes? How did you know?

Page: The Barber has ears.

Malina: Ok, take me to him.

Page: After me ma’am.

Malina: The Barber is known dead as he was alive for his craft. He was a master worker. They said he could take any person, any face, and make them whole and new. Aparently when he died, he had the same power to manipulate the features of those who past. When a ghost wanted to disapear without going to the other side, they would see him. He would often keep neutral but in our line of work, me and my brother, we can get pretty much anyone to talk. I wondered though, why was he reaching out to me first?

FX: Bell rings.

Barber: Ah, Malina Hart!

Malina: We meet again.

Barber: I feared as much. I guess the rumors are true.

Malina: What rumors?

Barber: Your brother is missing.

Malina: And?

Barber: And Serento.

Malina: What do you know?

Barber: I only know that you and your brother have enemies. The Serento Brothers for example.

Malina: What makes them enemies of us?

Barber: Sit down, lets listen to some good music. No?

FX: Radio turns on.

Background Music. Relaxing Classical.

Malina: I didn’t come here for music.

Barber: Then maybe a good chat will suffice.

Malina: Depends.

Barber: You are more icy lately than your usual self.

Malina: I was jumped earlier.

Barber: Men?

Malina: Yeah.

Barber: How barbaric.

Malina: Its not something I am used to.

Barber: But that is not why you are on edge, is that right?

Malina: You said the Serento Brothers are our enemies, my brother killed one of them, right?

Barber: You remember this?

Malina: Carly Serento. That name has been popping in my head since I first looked into that file. But my mind keeps running in circles.

Barber: They ran the biggest mob racket on the east side of the city. The Cartel wasn’t named Serento, but the Mendozas.

Malina: I remember.

Barber: It is good you remember.

Malina: It was a murder investigation or so that is how it started out. They forced one of the kids to overdose so they could take over his territory. He didn’t want vengeance, just closure. But when we got to the family home. My brother was attacked, he…killed Carly Serento in the altercation.

Barber: And his brother, Ashley, swore revenge, do you remember that?

Malina: We didn’t think he could find us. I mean, Carly was dead. And my brother never revealed his true name to the crime family. They just know he was killed by The Ghost and that was the last we heard of it.

Barber: you are forgetting something very important.

Malina: And what is that?

Barber: Most of the community on this side know Rick Hart is the Ghost, and that you are his sister.

Malina: That is not all is it?

Barber: Correct, there is more. Ashley knows Rick Hart is The Ghost. His brother, he can communicate with him through special means. Even I do not know how.

Malina; WHAT!?

Barber: Carly wanted to go underground, so he needed me to use my gift to change his apearance. He figured if word got out, Rick Hart might come after him just as much as they want to go after your brother.

Malina: My brother, he has power over the dead. But are they that afraid of him?

Barber: And Ashley on top, is planning his revenge in the physical world.

Malina: Is my brother still safe?

Barber: I don’t know the answer, but I am sure that if The Ghost was killed, almost everyone would know about it instantly here.

Malina: He is out there, somewhere. Hiding. I can feel it.

Barber: Be careful. Watch your back. This tip is free, now do yourself and me a favor and do not contact me or look for me until this is all over. Oh by the way Malina.

Malina: Yes?

Barber: Rick knows this, but… The Serento family. They are up to something.

Malina: And what is that?

Barber: Resurrection.

Dramatic Music.

Det. Thomas: Okay, you said this is the place?

Linda: Rick left me a personal note, he said for me to remind him to call someone about a council meeting this afternoon..

Det. Thomas: Why would he care about this?

Linda: It was a reminder, nothing more, he didn’t give me any details. But, I don’t see him anywhere around here. Do you?

Det. Thomas: No, no matter how I look, this see of people, I see none of them. By the way, you said he wanted you to remind him to call someone…

Ashley: We are starting late, I apoligize.

Linda: His name was Ashley…S. No last name. Just S.

Ashley: The floor is open to debate, but I would first like to introduce what the measure enacted would be doing for the community.

Det. Thomas: Did he ever mention the name Serento to you?

Linda: No why?

Det. Thomas: That man, speaking right now, is Ashley S. Ashley S. Serento, and he is one of the biggest crime lords this city has ever seen.

Ashley: As you know this particular lot of land was once considered sacred, and believed to be the resting site of one of Americas oldest Ancient cities, more so recently recovered. We are going to dig up the area, and renovate it. These renovations will help us stimulate the economy, create more businesses, jobs, and move this country forward.

Det. Thomas: I hate to say this, but if he is involved some how, Rick isn’t just a missing person, he is in very big trouble if he isn’t dead already.

Dramatic Music.

Comercial Break

Comercial: LunaSense Works

David: Hello this is David at David’s auto shop. You may know us as one of the best sellers in cars and car related stuff but, did you know that we also put our brand on LunaSense.

Not David: LunaSense?

David: Why hello there customer. And what can I help you with today?

Not David: I would like to buy a car. My dad said if I get all A’s he would let me pick out a car.

David: Well you made an excellent choice in coming here. My name is David and I run David’s Auto Shop. Can I have your name?

Not David: Its…

David: Well here at David’s Auto Shop we sell all kinds of cars and car related stuff. So what kind of car are you in the market for?

Not David: Well my dad said we did have a limit, so can I see what is your middle line?

David: We here at David’s Autoshop do not have a middle line, we belive in go big or go home!

Not David: So what kind of car can fit my needs in todays economy?

David: Well, if you look at our higher end models.

Not David: And the lower?

David: What part of go big or go home did you not get?

Not David: Fine, show me the bigger ones…(Sigh)

David: Well you see, here is our S Class.

Not David: Wait a minute, isn’t this a pre owned car from like a decade ago?

David: Yes it is?

Not David: Then how can you sell it for full price?

David: The secret is LunaSense.

Not David: For that clean feeling?

David: Why yes. You see, when we get cars from average joes like your or your cheap father. The cars come back, dirty, muddled, incomplete, and overall inferior to todays more newer vehicles. That is where LunaSense comes in. It takes a no runner, and with a little LunaSense we make it sparkling and fresh, and superior.

Not David: So…I can’t get this for a pre owned price?

David: No, now that this car has been around for a decade, it has a superior vintage price. Sorry to tell you, but you should have asked to see our newer models. Now about the price…

Not David: Oh boy…

Theme song: For that clean feeling. (three knocks on wood) use LunaSence.

Spokesman: Use LunaSence, that clean feeling. Can be bought in most brand name stores.

End Commercial.

Announcer: And now back to the thrilling conclusion of this weeks episode, Without.

Malina: Come on, where is it?

FX: paper rustling

Malina: And this is why you need someone who can actually file things in a superior fashion for your more personal stuff. You are such a hopeless cause. No this isn’t it either.

FX: Cabinet slams

Malina: Okay, so it looks like we have these three pages here.

FX: Distant door open and close.
Det. Thomas: Linda; Are you sure about this?

Linda: It has been three days since Rick Hart has disappeared. We need everyone on this.

Det. Thomas: I have asked the chief to put extra people but…

Linda: If Ashley killed my boss.

Det. Thomas: I assure you he is not dead.

Linda: How do you know that?

Det. Thomas: Rick Hart does not die easily.

Malina: They are getting closer. I almost have what I need.

FX: Door knob turns.

Malina: I can’t fix this room. This is so unexpected.

Linda: For Rick to get involved with the mob!

FX; Door opens.

Det. Thomas: Oh my… this place has been ransacked!

Linda: it’s a mess.

Det. Thomas: I think I have some Lun…

Linda: Now is not the time!

Det. Thomas: But I think we might be onto something. Who ever was here was clearly in a mad frenzy. So, Ashley Serento might have been here.

Linda: What do we do?

Det. Thomas: We? You have been following me long enough.

Linda: I need to show Rick I got billable hours he needs to give me when he returns and come hell or high water, I will find him.

Det. Thomas: But we will be dealing with the mob.

Linda: Rick and I have dealt with worse. Now you are going to stop questioning me and you will get back on this trail. So tell me, what do you think all this garbage means?

Det. Thomas: Well, after we talked with Ashley Serento about the excavation of the Graveyard.

Malina: The graveyard?

Linda: It had a name didn’t it?

Malina: The Warriors Rest?

Linda: The warriors…

Malina: And he said resurection. I don’t believe it.

Linda: Do you see anything about the Warriors thing anywhere?

Det. Thomas: Among these papers?

Linda: I will just grab what I can. I will meet you in your car in five minutes.

FX: Walking away.

FX: Door closes.

Malina: The Man of Sand. I don’t believe it. They are going to actually try and use it.

Dramatic Music.

Professor: The Warriors Rest. Long ago, two fueding tribes, both names lost to history fought a great battle. Many died but in the end one side prevailed over the other. It was not completely uncommon for sides to fight, land, territory, resources. These things are common to give malice to others for. However it was here, that…

Det. Thomas: This better be worth my time.

Linda: Rick told me that he follows the leads, and since Serento is not moving, we got to find out what this is about.

Malina: I sat there, invisible to the eye, behind the two on Rick’s Trail. The Professor was going on about things me and my brother already knew, and yet, as I saw the pictures, heard him speak with passion, I found myself absorbed in one of my favorite bedtime tales.

Professor: In order to honor those who gave there lives for this battle, the two warring cheifs sought out a shaman to bless the land of their fallen comerades. The blood of the many stained the soil and the shaman said the dead would not know peace until a ritual was completed. So, he made his offerings, and laid a claim that not a single corpse or body would be further touched by man until the Creator would come and wipe creation clean. And so…

FX: Slide Projector click

Professor: We have found these.

Background: Murmering

Professor: While we cannot speak the dialect they use. This picture, is a drawing of the many warriors that act as guardians to preserve the graves. It is translated to “Man of Sand.”

Linda: What a dumb name.

Professor: We have never found physical proof of these guardian warriors but that is also because, since these days have past, the land has buried much of history and we preserve it by…Not doing what has been proposed to the council.

Background: Murmering.

Professor: This is history and the rights of our land. Certain people would have us dig it up and destroyed so they could build malls and other horrific things. The Shaman gave his word, the souls would be protected. The Man of Sand would stand guard, and since he cannot move, I say it is up to us to preserve history. Yes? You have a question?

Student: What is this Man of Sand? How can he protect it if we don’t even know if he, or they exist?

Malina: My brother would be having a field day right now, answering these questions if only he was able to speak of the dead, their history, their magic. After sitting through the questions, I noticed one regrettable familiar face, silent, staring at the back like a cruel child overlord observing the damage and chaos he has achieved. The lecture ended and I followed Ashley Serento back to his mansion. The drive in his car was quiet but he did not notice me. Good.

FX: Door open

Guard: Welcome home Sir.

Ashley: Is everything ready?

Guard: I believe so.

Ashley: And is she here yet?

Guard: She arrived ten minutes ago.

Ashley: Show her to my room. I need to speak with her alone.

Guard: As you say sir.

Malina: Walking through the enemy’s fortress was a fun unique experience. I could see the line of guards treating it like a war camp, an army ready to spring into action any second.

Malina: Wow this place sure is big. I wish me and my brother could afford such a place.

Guard: John!

John: Yes sir?

Guard: Make sure to tell the others that the boss is not to be disturbed for the rest of the night after you show the medium to his room.

John: Will do sir.

Guard: Good.

Malina: I felt bad for this John fellow.

John: Watch your back girl.

Malina: Okay.

Medium: So. Usual rate?

Ashley: Yes.

Medium: So you wish to know more about The Ghost?

Ashley: Yes, tell me more about…Rick Hart.

Malina: My brother?

Medium: No one knows where he is, but that is soon going to change.

Ashley: How can you tell.

Medium: I sense a familiar to him. One who shares his bond on this planet is near by.

Ashley: Who is this person?

Medium: Your brother has revealed to me that he has a sister and that she seeks him.

Ashley: Well then we will just have to kill her!

Medium: Your brother has informed me that she is already dead. But, that her connection to the spirit world make her as much of a threat.

Ashley. You think she can stop my brother from returning? How goes finding the Doll?

Medium: The Man of Sand, it is hidden well in the excavation site. I can sense its energy though, we should be able to find it within an hour of work.

Ashley: And do you think it will work.

Medium: The blessed blood that bathes the sand can be manipulated at will by any spirit entity. So yes…we can return your brother to the land of the living in the doll.

Malina: So they are trying to ressurect Carly Serento!

Medium: But we have one more pressing issue.

Ashley: And that is?

Medium: Rick’s Sister is in this room right now.

Malina: What!? She could sense me!?

Carly: Hello Ms. Hart. We meet at last.

Malina: Who…no. Carly Serento.

FX: Struggle.

Carly: You should have heeded the advice, and stayed away.

Malina: Never. Get off of me!

Medium: All is well, your brother now has her in his possession.

Ashley: Well well well. It appears we have all our targets lined up.

Malina: You! You don’t know where my brother is do you?

Medium: I sense a female with a curious nature, I believe she is asking about her brother.

Malina: You can only sense, you cannot hear. You are weak compared to my brother. He will stop you. All of you!

Carly: He wont stop me from making you wish you could pass on to the other side.

Malina: You think that. But he is not a failure like you. You couldn’t even survive a minute with him.

FX: Tightening grip

Carly: I wouldn’t say suich things if I were you. After all I am going to be one of the first ghosts to return to life.

Malina: By possessing a doll?

Carly: I will reenter this world and then the Serento family will rise to new heights.

Medium: She is trying to struggle but losing. Your brother is holding her captive, waiting for the word.

Ashley: Lock her soul into the casket.

Medium: As you wish.

Carly: With pleasure.

Malina: I will not be stopped by a low level thug like….you.

Carly: Your struggle just weakens your spirit.

FX: Loud knock.

Ashley: Who is there?
FX: Door opens.

Guard: It’s the police!

Det. Thomas: Ashley Serento!

Carly: Why would the cops be here!?

Linda: RICK ARE YOU HERE!?

Ashley: They know about Hart?

Carly: Wait what?

FX: Punch to the stomach.

Carly: Oof

FX: Loud Slap.

Malina: Off of me peasant!

Carly: Don’t think you can escape!

FX: Running away.

Malina: Watch me!

Carly: Come back!

Malina: If we meet again…(going distant) It will be your last!

FX: walking up

Det. Thomas: Okay, Ashley Serento, I have a few questions for you about Rick Hart?

Medium: Sir…she escaped.

Dramatic Music.

FX: Clock counting.

Linda: Today is day 4.

Malina: And my brother is nowhere to be found.

Linda: Those men were scary.

Malina: You have no idea. I was almost sealed to a box. (Shudders)

Linda: How am I going to pay my bills?

Malina: How am I going to find him?

FX: Paper rustling.

Linda: So, they were able to temporarily excavate the site before construction. Huh, whats this about a man of Sand?

Malina: What?

Linda: “Giant sand doll found under ground, moved to museum”

Malina: They found it? I better move quick.

Linda: I kinda would like to get a good look at it, but… I better stay here if Det. Thomas calls. Lets see whats on the radio.

FX: Flip

Music: Cheesy easy listening.

Linda: Ah.

Malina: After running for my non life all night, I want to say I am content hiding here, protected from evil spirits. But I felt restless. The music, designed to soothe the soul just made me remember that cruel night where a ghost, a medium, and a mob boss were colluding to destroy me and my brother. And I had no back up.

Radio Guy: We interupt this program for a major news break. One of the cities most decorated detectives was kidnapped in front of the precinct this morning. There are no leads. Detective Thomas was last seen…

Linda: No way.

Malina: Not Tom!

Radio Guy: This happened about three hours before the Museum had its newest exhibit stolen.

Malina: They got the Man of Sand too!? Undone! Undone! Undone!

Fade into: Evil Music

Ashley: Well gentlemen, we finally got it all together. This is a good job.

Carly: Soon, I will return to the world of the living.

Medium: Your brother is very happy.

Ashley: I know, we have been waiting for this moment for along time.

Medium: The trap is set as well.

Ashley: Good, I never imagined we would find two dolls in the short time. This is very fortunateness.

Medium: Get the doll ready. For this to work I need time.

Ashley: JOHN!

John: Yes sir.

Ashley: That doll in the crate. Its wrapped well, right?

John: We put three different sets of chains to wrap it with. Why?

Ashley: Do not question me, do what you are told.

John: And you sure, you want it in the crate? Wouldn’t you want to see it?

Ashley: I will not be back talked. Our enemies move against us.

John: Very well.

Malina: I am not too late. I can somehow salvage this situation. Hopefuly Tom can help me.

Carly: You walked right into this.

Malina: You again!?

FX: Tussle

Carly: You said next we meet it would be our last.

Malina: Your last. As is your end. Not as…

Carly: We found two of them. One is bound and tied in a box. You will be sealed to it and you will be trapped forever.

Malina: This will not stop me.

FX; Temporal sound.

Malina: Ugh.

FX: Box rattling.

John: Whats that sound?

Ashley: Nothing.

John: I think its coming from the box.

Ashley: Let it be.

FX: Box Prying open.

John: Oh, duh, its just the doll.

Ashley: Close it up quick. And get the new one ready.

Medium: The doll is ready to receive a soul. Once Carly Serento enters this, he will walk among men again.

Ashley: Carly. When you will, and I know you can hear me… step into the doll.

FX: Power outage.

Ashley: The lights!

Medium: I sense…malevolence. Malice. Anger…a lot of it. Its…overbearing.

Ashley: Are you in the doll?

Carly: Something is wrong.

Ashley: I can’t see, is it moving at least?

Ghost: It will not move for you.

Ashley: Who is there?

Ghost: It is I, The Ghost!

FX: Foot steps on sand.

Ashley: I can see it, it is moving! The Man of Sand is moving! The legend is true.

Medium: This isn’t right?

Ashley: Come to me brother. Welcome back. It has been too long…

Medium: No…

Ashley: Let me shake your hand.

Medium: Get away from it! THAT IS NOT YOUR BROTHER!

Carly: That isn’t me! Run!

Malina: Brother….it is amazing….

Silence.

Malina: I…am alive!

FX; Body rustling.

Malina: You can all hear me, can’t you?

Ashley: Who are you?

Malina: My name is Malina Hart. But since you now know this, I am afraid I can’t allow any of you to leave this place.

Ashley: John! Shoot this thing…John?

Malina: I can’t believe you haven’t put it together. You were searching for him for so long…when he was right under your nose. Who do you think freed me from the box and put me in here? There never was a figure you called John.

Ghost: It was me all along.

Carly: I will push you out of that body myself if I have to…I cant move…

Ghost: You tried to do something horrific to someone I care about. You not moving is the least of your worries. I have you under my power now.

Medium: I sense…

Ashley: You, the Ghost is here, my network has been infiltrated, and now my brother doesn’t have a body. This is all your fault.

Medium: I did what I could. What you paid me.

Ashley: There are going to be a lot of bodies on the floor tonight and we will start with you.

Medium: Wait…

FX: Gunshot.

Medium: But your brother…he is trapped by the ghost’s power…and you used your gun on me first….I could have saved…

Carly: No! Save me! Don’t leave me…to…disapear….

Ghost: You who cannot pass on by yourself to the next world, must be sent there. Say what farewells you can.

Ashley: And you are next Mr. Hart!

Carly: (Finishes fading out) I…..

FX: Gun c***s.

Malina: No!

FX; Gunfire.

Ashley: How dare a statue get in my way.

Malina: If you are going to shoot someone, shoot me!

FX: Gun discharges repeatedly

Ashley: Why won’t you fall.

Malina: My body, its bullet proof.

Ashley: And its made out of sand. If I can push you off into that pit…

FX; Tussle

Ashley: You aren’t very strong for something bullet proof.

Malina: Give yourself…up.

Ashley: You will fall. You will break, I will kill your brother, and then mine can…

Malina: Your brother passed on!

Ashley: He can’t.

Malina: He was exorcised.

Malina: It was then, I saw it in his eyes. Anger, desperation, and a look of a warrior wanting to take one last life with his. He tackled me. And we went off the cliff.

Ghost: Malina!

Malina: The sand that made the statue splattered, but I… I exist. And my one moment of having a body for the rare time in my non life, was gone. And I was back to being me.

Malina: Well brother, this was not the ending I would have liked.

Ghost: His neck is broken. I am sure he died on impact.

FX: Door breaking down.

Malina: The next morning, Rick and some police members raided the compound and found Detective Thomas in the basement.

Det. Thomas: Rick?

Rick: We found you, thank God!

Det. Thomas: Hehe…how…

Rick: You of all people know, it is a trade secret.

Det. Thomas: And here I was looking for you.

Malina: So brother. Who was this John fella?

Rick: It was because I knew.

Malina: Knew?

Rick: I caught wind that I was to be assassinated so I had to go into hiding immediately. I knew how egotistical the Serento family was and decided the best place to be was right under their nose. They wouldn’t look for me at their own home. From there I realized their plan was to use the man in sand to resurrect Carly Serento. It is why I left the breadcrumb for you to find.

Malina: I always was the smarter one.

Rick: That’s debateable.

Malina: So, did you really get a kick out of saying hi to me in the mansion while undercover?

Rick: You caught that?

Malina: Mad that I didn’t catch it sooner.

FX: Door slams open.

Linda: RICK!!

Malina: Oh no.

Linda: You’re alive. Im so happy!

Rick Get off me. This is a bit much. I didn’t know you were this…strong.

Linda: I am so happy to see you. And I am so happy with all those hours you are going to pay me for looking for you!

Rick: I am what?

Linda; And then I will be able to pay rent, go out tonight. Get some shopping done. It will be amazing.

Rick: And yet you still arent letting me breathe.

Linda: Sorry.

Rick: It is great to see you too.

Linda: And I hear you actually saved that detective who came to see you.

Rick: Yeah.

Linda: So..

Rick: Uh huh?

Linda: Where, were, you?

Malina: You better pick a good one.

Rick: Um…vacation?

Dramatic music

Fade out.

Announcer: The Ghost and all characters are copyright by Supernatural Magazine Monthly. All characters living or dead are fictitious and all similarities are practically coincidental. All rights reserved.

End

© 2016 Daniel Rodriguez


Author's Note

Daniel Rodriguez
it might need some more touching up than normal. The essential plot came to me that I try and do a noir staring Malina as the main hero. Any honest feedback and criticism welcomed. Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on June 1, 2016
Last Updated on June 1, 2016
Tags: Radio Drama, Mystery, adventure, The Ghost, paranormal, script, noir

Author

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

Phoenix, AZ



About
Hello, my name is Daniel Antonio Rodriguez and I am a wannabe writer. I am 27 years old and have been actively writing for the past 12-13 years. I enjoy writing scripts and breaking out into niche gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez