Chapter One: An Introduction

Chapter One: An Introduction

A Chapter by Dexterous Monkey
"

Though I knew little of Ethan, it seemed he lived a life cloaked in darkness. So I suppose it made sense that his home mirrored that.

"
Though I knew little of Ethan, it seemed he lived a life cloaked in darkness. So I suppose it made sense that his home mirrored that.

From the time I walked into his apartment, the thick door shutting heavily behind me, I could feel the unease growing, prickling heatedly against the flesh at my neck. It screamed, the silent begging of instinct, for me to get out, to go back, to be safe. I didn't listen. I never could.

He led me into his living room, a room lit by four red-bulbed lamps pushed into its far corners. I stood at the entrance, just opposite long drapes covering sturdy barred windows. In the distance, somewhere hidden behind one of the two bedroom doors, something was stirring; moving along the floor, bumping into things and cursing when it did.

“S'one of my roommates,” Ethan mumbled, lips barely moving, thickly lined eyes blank with boredom. “You can sit wherever. I can get you a soda or something? Beer?”

“Sounds good. Thanks.”

I chose to sit on the couch �" a wide, lumpy, dirty, gray monstrosity, covered in stains �" instead of the single recliner pushed against another dark corner. The recliner looked comfortable enough, though worn for wear, but something about its location made me wary. The lamp that sat beside it cast a strange and almost frightening glow, and every dip and bend in the chair's upholstery created a daunting shadow that seemed nearly villainous.

As I sat leering at the chair, Ethan returned to the room holding two blue labeled bottles. He placed one into my hand before taking the seat next to me, sitting a careful distance away.

Ethan was cute enough. Underneath the kohl eyeliner and dark greasy hair, lay a handsome face. Crisp blue eyes, a straight modest nose, full bottom lip, and bold but neat brows adorned that face. Tall and slim with easy lean muscles and fingers so long it seemed he must have possessed extra joints to control them. His body, what was underneath the layers of black t-shirts, hooded sweaters, and jeans filigreed by chains, was one that other boys might have envied, that girls might have lusted for.

I watched those fingers wrap around the dark bottle, overlapping a little as they met his thumb on the other side. They flexed for a second, knuckles turning pastier than the rest of his skin, and then he brought the bottle up to his lips. As his head tilted back, I spotted the bluish veins that lined his neck; saw the slight purse of his lips as they formed around the bottle's opening; followed the bob of his adam's apple when he swallowed. Yeah, Ethan could be cute if people only took a moment to notice...and I had noticed.

It was kind of my thing, to see beyond the rough exterior and grab a hold of something a bit more valuable, to discover their true nature, and to restore it to it's rightful place.

Yes, it was kind of my thing to find people like Ethan. Actually, it was kind of my job.

And I was extremely good at it.


© 2013 Dexterous Monkey


Author's Note

Dexterous Monkey
Thanks for reading. Feedback is always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on November 19, 2013
Last Updated on November 19, 2013