Beloved Ezra

Beloved Ezra

A Story by DD

Beloved Ezra

Just one year ago, life went on pretty well for 16 year old Ezra. Grew up in a small city to his busy career minded parents who felt that it was easier to have a caregiver to take care of Ezra as they could not commit their time for their only child.
Since birth Ezra grew up with Aunt Bella, she took care of him like her own Son.
Ezra had never missed his parents as Aunt Bella had always been loving and always being there for him in his ups and downs. More than he shared with his parents, he was much more comfortable with Aunt Bella.
A passionate boy who was also studious and had talents for music and sports. He played violin and is also an aspiring Soccer player in school.
His routine in life was pretty much the same, until last year on April 2016.
It was the last exam paper for the semester and unusually he found it hard to wake up on that morning.
Aunt Bella notice that he was getting late in preparing himself for the morning, she went to look at him and found him still in bed, when she approached him she had realised that something was not right. She saw Ezra groaning in pain. It did not felt like a normal pain, she felt that the pain had sheeted through him with a terrible intensity.
He did not say much but was expressing his pain in non verbal terms by pressing on his head.
Aunt Bella got him to the paediatric hospital that was just 10 minutes of travel from their home. The Doctors did their physical examination and served him with analgesics to relief his pain. He felt better after two hours of observation and got discharged. Two weeks later the same symptoms occurred and the Doctors felt that it could be a stress related one and termed his condition as Migraine.
Few days later the severity and frequency of headache was getting intensed and this time it was associated with vomiting and numbness in his lower limbs. He barely could feel his legs and he could not walk therefore aunt Bella had to call the ambulance to convey him to the hospital. The Doctors had to arrange for his head scans and Aunt Bella was getting very anxious and nervous. She had tears welled up in her eyes and she could not find the right words to tell Ezra that everything will be fine. Ezra hold on to her hands tightly as he was getting scared when he was told that he had to go for his scans.
After the scans the Doctors were frantically pacing up and down to the observation area where Ezra was being placed.
Aunt Bella had observed that the Nurses and Doctors were all seeing Ezra in a pitiful manner. She was literally curious to find out the results of Ezra's scan.
However for obvious reasons no one came and spoke to her yet.
After two hours, two other Doctors came to her and identified themselves as an oncologist specialist and they explained to her that Ezra has to be admitted for further investigations and observation as he may be suffering from a tumor in his brain.
Deeply stricken by the news she fell to her seat totally distraught.
The next two weeks was not very easy on Ezra and Aunt Bella, as they came to know that he was suffering from Brain tumor that was cancerous. They also learned that he had passed on the stage where it was too late for a surgery as he was too young and it could be life threatening. Over the months as his illness progressed he was also deteriorating.
Now it has been two years since Ezra had left his parents and Aunt Bella. Still grief stricken, never a day pass without having his thoughts in her mind. Aunt Bella still has vivid memories of how she held him in her arms when he was a baby and how she nurtured him for the pass 16 years of his life. Ezra's parents are still leaving with guilt as they were never part of their child's life. They moved in back to the same house where Ezra lived in, as days went by they discovered a diary of Ezra. The diary had emotionally been written down by him on how Aunt Bella had been a great support in his life and how his parents had neglected him since young. He even penned down on how he had wish he could play a Soccer game with his dad and how he could play a song for his mum on the violin. That diary even stated his pain when ever he had to go through chemo therapy and how he tried to stay strong just for Aunt Bella, because each time when he saw her tearing he felt a sharp pain in his heart. His parents spent hours reading his diary and they felt that they failed as parents. However for the past two years this diary was the only thing that kept them close to him. Aunt Bella mentioned to them on how they had missed a wonderful child and they will all never be able to see him again. Today on his birthday she went down to his grave to pay her respect and brought him his favourite Soccer ball and soccer team jersey. Aunt Bella reckon that if Ezra had still be around he would have been 18 by now pursing his college and be selected in the national Soccer team.
She misses him very much and currently is volunteering her time and service with the Paediatric cancer Organization where she see all age of kids with various cancer diagnosis.
She shares to each and every kid about how Ezra was a strong boy and how he had spent his last few months of life before leaving her.
Ezra will still live on in her memory for many more years to come.

In loving memory of Ezra

© 2017 DD


Author's Note

DD
Thanks for taking the time to read my story. This is my first time trying out. I am open to feedbacks, please feel free to share with me on your thoughts about this write up. Thank you once again.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

a very well written story :) its emotionally connecting with the readers and that's what a writer needs. wonderful piece for a start. cheers.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

DD

6 Years Ago

Thank You very much Jayanth! It's very pleasing and gives me more motivation to write more. I am Gla.. read more
jayanth

6 Years Ago

you're welcome and cheers :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 19, 2017
Last Updated on June 19, 2017

Author

DD
DD

Singapore



About
A Daughter, Sister and a Nurse by profession more..

Writing