Dare to Care

Dare to Care

A Poem by Gabri
"

This is not really a poem. It's just a writing. Apparently there's not a category for that sort of nonsense.

"
Today on Pinterest I saw a quote that said, "The less you give a damn, the happier you will be." It's not the first time I've seen something like that. In fact, I feel like the sentiment often pops up Pinterest, Facebook, or some other sort of social media. But I disagree. I disagree strongly. The less you give a damn, the more cynical, aloof, hardened, and grown up you become. And that is a tragedy. Children are the happiest people I know and they care hard. They "give a damn" about everything. They cry all the time. They giggle whenever they want. They give hugs, kisses, and scratches freely. They have not yet learned that this world demands that you crush delights and wild emotion. They don't know that as they grow the world will plead with you to conform in so many different ways that it's hard not to get caught. It won't be long before they know that to be cool, one should not "give a damn." Well to hell with that I say! Give a damn! Care! Love! Be delighted at spring and new leaves. Be freely heartbroken when you lose something you love. And look up. Most importantly, look up. See the people around you. Say hello to them. Smile at them. Ask them how they are. Chances are they are trying to live by the words, "The less you give a damn, the happier you will be." Chances are they do give a damn though. Here's the secret: the more you care, the bigger your heart will be, the more room there is for love, the more room there is for joy. It also means that you will get hurt more, but oh! It's worth it! It's worth it! So dare to give a damn I say!

© 2015 Gabri


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on February 25, 2015
Last Updated on February 25, 2015

Author

Gabri
Gabri

Writing
Light Light

A Story by Gabri


A Dusty Place A Dusty Place

A Story by Gabri


The Delta The Delta

A Story by Gabri