VALKYR

VALKYR

A Story by Digganobz
"

Character backstory for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign.

"

Name: Valkyr Bludhand

Age: 32

Occupation: Professional Bounty Hunter

Hobbies: Tampering with mechanics, any kinds of machines and inventions, inventing his own things, blacksmithing, tampering with anything that can produce an explosion, making bad puns and saving the World

Backstory:
Some time ago, there was a famous engineer working at the Imperial City. His name was Erik Bludhand. He had gained renown across the country by inventing machines that varied from transportation to war engines that were capable of wrecking castles. He was a genius, and together with his partner, Daeryn Kharnae, they were noticed by the King himself and he gave them an official recognition and thus they began their work for the Empire, strengthening the city fortifications and defences. Daeryn was an adept alchemist that had the talent, knowledge and skill that could match any or all of the alchemists from the College of Alchemia, and he created the first Alcannon. Together with Erik, he designed a cyllindrical chunk of metal, hollowed from the inside, that could fire projectiles at long distances by creating a controlled explosion using two special liquids designed and concocted by Daeryn. It was a weapon capable of creating havoc and devastation that did not come from any kind of magic. It was purely man made. And so, the fame of Erik and Daeryn grew as the years passed. Erik was a peoples' man, and the crowd loved him, as he often made invetnions that entertained the common folk. Daeryn, on the other hand, was always a kind of an introvert. He preffered to be left alone in the Workshop and spent a large portion of his time upgrading and improving alchemy based weapons. Ten years after the Alcannon was invented, Erik brought his 9 year old son, Valkyr to work with them in the Workshop. The years passed, and Erik was a fast learner. He was focused on getting as much knowledge from both his father and Daeryn. At some point, Valkyr developed an interest in explosives, and since he possesed a genius mind like his father, while learning from another genius that was Daeryn, he quickly mastered all the work that needed to be done, and became a certified member of the Workshop. He was proficient at blacksmithing, designing and upgrading inventions and some minor alchemy. When he was 19, he started researching and designing a special powder that would be able to replace the two liquids used in Daeryn's Alcannons. It was cheaper, easier to come by, more compact than the liquid and would potentially be much more devastating than the liquid. Daeryn wasn't very happy about that. He was in the King's own favor as a Master Alchemist, and if a young kid, that was also the son of his rival (although, no one really thought that Daeryn considered Erik his rival) managed to invent a powder that could replace his alchemy, he would be forgotten and replaced. He did not like that. Not at all.

One night, after secretly overseeing young Valkyr's research, Daeryn managed to solve the problem Valkyr couldn't. He found the last ingredient that Valkyr needed so much in order to make the formula stable. And so, he decided to craft large amounts of it, in secrecy. He proceeded to set it up all over the Workshop, and mixing it together with his alchemy, he had set a trap for Valkyr. He had planned it for months. The explosion would destroy the Workshop, killing young Valkyr and destroying all evidence left.

And so, while Erik was away, Daeryn had planted a note in their house that told Valkyr to come by the Workshop and signed it as Erik. Incidentally, Erik returned home and found the note, confirming all his doubts against Daeryn not being the partner he built his life's work with. He knew he had to stop him. And so he left for the Workshop. As he left, Valkyr returned home and realized that his father had come back, but couldn't find him so he concluded father must've gone to the Workshop. He hurried there, and as he was about to get near the door, he saw a glint of light inside. That light suddenly got so bright it blinded him for a moment and turned into a huge, devastating explosion. Valkyr saw his father dissapearing in the flames, as he was thrown back from the force caused by the explosion, he crashed into an abandoned house, got thrown right through the wall, destroying it; and crashing through the wooden floor into a deep cellar. The explosion was so powerful it shattered glass on the neighboring houses and lit up that block like it was broad daylight.
Daeryn watched it all from a distance, and saw Erik was the one who had died. Valkyr couldn't be found for days, and so the City thought both of them had died in an accident caused by Valkyrs ignorant and inattentive experimentation with explosives. It was a sad day for the Imperial City, but a most joyous day for Daeryn. He took control and ownership over the Workshop and became a powerful and wealthy man.

When he woke up, Valkyr felt like a herd of horses had galloped over him at full speed. Like a mountain had hit him. He tried to get up, but it only resulted in him groaning in horrible pain. His leg, ribs, an arm, shoulder and hip were all broken. Pieces of sharp wood were stabbed into his flesh and he was bleeding. He thought he was going to die. The place he was in was extremely dark. Even looking at the ceiling, he realized that the light he can see was far away on the surface. He realized that he fell down a deep hole. He was cold, injured, hungry and weak. His body broken and his soul shattered since he knew he saw his father die in that explosion. He wish it was just an illusion but he knew that somehow, he was the one supposed to die. He lay down on the cold floor for some time, applying pressure to his bleeding wound with his healthy hand and let his mind flow. Suddenly, he realized that Daeryn was behind all this. He was the only one who knew what Valkyr was doing and hated him for it. Valkyr felt a rising surge of energy that was caused by the suddent amount of anger, grief and hatred he had felt in a mere moment. He clenched his teeth, and started painfully screaming as he dragged himself back on his two feet. His leg was broken, but he did not care. He was standing, and was determined to get out of the dark cellar he was in.

As he was walking around, he noticed a faint glow in the distance. It looked like the cellar went really far underground. He groaned and continued walking, holding to the wall. As he closed the source of the glow, he saw a wall, that had an arch that looked like a doorway. But strangely enough, where the door was supposed to be, there was more wall. It was fairly lit up by the strange runes that were etched along the doorway arch, and on the wall, there was a carving of a winged man, wielding a large weapon, and around him was encircled a large dragon. He touched the wall with his bloodied hand, and suddenly the dragon carving started moving in a circle. He backed away from the wall and saw his bloody handprint. The blood started to glow red, and it now looked like it was on fire. The wall seemingly soaked in the molten blood and the entire carving started to glow with a firey color. Valkyr was standing there, baffled. The entire carving now dissapeared, and the wall started to burn. Instead of the wall, there was now a very light doorway, burning and swirling around, and Valkyr heard a thundering, growling voice echoing from within his mind: „Step into the light.“. He clenched his broken arm, gritted his teeth and threw his body through the portal. His vision blacked out and he lost consciousness again.

When Val woke up, he realized that he is lying in sand. He felt that most of his body was buried under sand that the wind sweeped up on him while he was unconscious. He tried to get up, and he still felt his broken bones, but his wounds were all closed up and weren't bleeding anymore. He felt an entirely new energy that is coarsing through him. He was still tired and was feeling like he was about to pass out and die, but something within him gave him energy to get up and start walking. It was hard for him, since every step he made with his broken leg sent a jolt of pain directly into his brain and the more he walked, the weaker he felt. Suddenly, he saw silhouettes of buildings in front of him. That gave him motivation to continue on until he reached them. So he walked for another fifteen minutes, and just as he was about to pass out, he heard a thundering roar that echoed through the skies. The buildings in front of him suddenly vanished under a massive cloud of smoke and sounds of collapsing, as something as large as a castle had landed there. He shielded his face from the oncoming gusts of sand created by the shock. When he felt the dust settled, he removed his hand and looked in front of him. There stood a gargantuan dragon, with scales that were black but shined a reddish color when he moved. His eyes were flaming red. Val fell down to his knees because all of a sudden he felt like he was about to die. His vision was blackening, and his mind was fading. The dragon raised his head and opened his mouth. Valkyr closed his eyes, because he thought this was the end for him. No more. He thought about his father, as he felt the air around him instantly becoming hotter and hotter. He did not need to open his eye to realize that the dragon in front of him was breathing fire onto him. His skin started to burn, his brain was boiling. Valkyr let out a blood-curdling scream as his charred body fell in the sand.

The air was warm, but the wind carried a relaxing, cold breeze. Nothing could be heard except the loud breathing of a large dragon that was curled up on the ground, watching with a waking eye at the man that was sleeping leaned against a large stone.
Valkyr suddenly gasped for air and sprung up on his feet. „WHAT THE HELL!?“, he roared as he was now standing, while the last thing he recalled that a dragon had burnt him and he had died. He saw that very same dragon in front of him, and the dragon was watching him. Peacefully. It almost seemed like the dragon enjoyed the sight of a confused man. The dragon let out a sound, and Valkyr was convinced that the dragon just snickered at him for having a dumb expression on his face. Something was wrong, Valkyr thought. He felt alive, more alive than ever. He did not feel sharp pain in his body, and there were no wounds on him. It was like he was somehow healed and put back together like nothing had ever happened.

„What...the hell happened to me?“ he asked, not sure if the dragon would answer him.
„Boy, does your face look stupid.“, the dragon suddenly spoke, and right after started laughing.
Valkyr was very confused. „I..I'm sorry...sir?“ he nervously asked. „Why am I here?“.
„Well, you did pass through the Dragon Gate, idiot. That's how you got here. Remember?“ the Dragon answered.
„Y...yeah...I do actually. I touched the wall with my bloody hand and suddenly I ended up here.“
The dragon was silent for a moment. He was thinking. „That's funny. You see, only the ones with unique blood can open the Gate. Who might you be, boy?“, he now asked, in a serious tone.
Valkyr stood up straight. „My name is Valkyr. I'm...I was an engineer in the Imperial City.“ He spoke, cold as ice, while images of his father burning and their workshop going up in flames flashed across his mind. He remembered Daeryn, and clenched his teeth as he felt rage take over him again.
„Do not let the anger consume you, boy. You came to me for a reason.“ The dragon said.
„How did you know I was angry?“ Valkyr suddenly asked.
„Your father died in your stead, because someone close to you did not like what you were doing. I know everything about you, boy.“ The dragon spoke again.
Valkyr was speechless. He did not say anything.
„You see, the gate you passed to here is a gate only the ones who are destined to become Dragon Knights can pass. The gate is magical, and tied directly to my power, and it recognizes the blood of the Chosen.“ The dragon now raised his head a bit.
„You are here, boy, for a greater cause. I am to grant you the power of Dragons and you are to fight with me as your Master. You think you're up for that?“
Valkyr was silent for a moment, and then he spoke. „You say that I will become powerful?“
„Yes, you will become extremely powerful. Cities will tremble at the sight of you, people will cower in fear when your name is spoken, you shall be my Champion. A warrior with the essence of a dragon and dragon blood coarsing through your veins. You will wield the power of Fire and fight in my stead, for I am ancient. And I am not suitable to fight the oncoming darkness that is soon to engulf this World. Therefore I have created the Gate, and I waited for thousands of years until the one who was Chosen had arrived.“ The dragon put his head down again. „All I can see is an angry human who is ready to throw a tantrum at the mention of the tragedy that befell him. Also, you still have that stupid facial expression, boy.“ He snickered.
Valkyr felt the urge to punch the dragon, but he managed to stop himself. He was here now, even though this entire ordeal felt like a dream, but he still decided. Accepting it is the only thing to do now. So he got serious, and knelt in front of the dragon. He bowed his head, and said: „By my father's name, by his memory and by my life, I swear to serve you, Master...“ and he stopped mid-sentence, since he was clueless about the dragon's name.
„Naaroth. That is my name. Once they knew me as Naaroth the Guardian of Fire, but that was even before the kingdoms of men. I am now old, and my power is not what it once was. Slowly, powerful dragons, my brothers, slowly vanished from this World, seeking tranquility and eternal peace. I am the last of the Guardians.“ Naaroth's eyes looked extremely sad for a moment. Then he stood up high, and from above spoke with a thundering voice: „I accept your oath, Valkyr Bludhand.“. He raised his hand to his mouth and cut it on one of his teeth. He held that hand out to Val and said: „Drink now, boy. Drink and become who you were destined to be.“
Valkyr cupped his hands and filled them with the blood that seeped out of the small cut. And he drank. First, it felt like his insides were burning. A painful sensation, but soon the pain turned to pleasant warmth, and that warmth turned to newlyfound powerful energy that now started to well up inside him.
„Also, heads up.“ Naaroth suddenly said, with an obvious undertone of laughter in his voice. When Valkyr raised his head, his face met the scales on Naaroth's tail. Val was sent flying and he smashed into some trees. As he collected himself and stood up, baffled and surprised as to why he did not die from this right now, he heard Naaroth's thundering laughter, echoing through the skies. Valkyr smiled. „This is going to be interesting.“, he thought to himself and started walking toward his Master.



Valkyr trained under Naaroth's supervision for months. He reached the peak of his physical strength, his athletic prowess and achieved the steel calm of his mind. One day, after many months, Valkyr said to Naaroth: „Hey Master.“
„What is it, shorty?“ the dragon answered.
„I want to challenge you to a fight.“ Valkyr said, with a smirk on his face.
„You know you're gonna lose that, idiot?“ Dragon spoke, without interest.
„No I don't. But neither do you know that you're going to win!“ Valkyr said, and launched himself into the air, while preparing his fist to punch Naaroth. The dragon yawned and lazily smashed Val into the ground with his hand.
„Yes I do.“ Naaroth laughed again.

„We've had 300 fights until now, and I won without you even touching me. Are you even trying?“ The Dragon suddenly spoke to Valkyr.
„Oh don't worry, you old lizard. I'm going to get you once.“ Valkyr answered.
„Yeah? You know that I am ancient. And in all my years of life, I have never been defeated, not even by my brothers. What makes you think you, a dumb human, can do such a thing?“
Naaroth snickered.
„I'm your Chosen, remember?“ Valkyr put a huge grin on his face and launched himself into the air, transforming into his dragon form. Naaroth understood that he wants another fight, so he lunged in the air too. Valkyr flew fast, heading straight for Naaroth. „Are you seriously trying to do that again?“ Naaroth taunted him as he readied his enormous fist to hit Valkyr.
Valkyr said nothing, and when he was close enough, he noticed Naaroth crashing his fist down on him, but suddenly Valkyr suppresed his dragon form and dissapeared somewhere under Naaroth. „What the s**t?“ Naaroth thought, but his thoughts were interrupted as he felt a powerful punch throw his flying off balance. His head rung like a bell, and he fell distraught for a second, but then he sensed Valkyr under his jaw and smacked him with his thick head. Valkyr fell to the ground like a meteor, and made a huge crater when he crashed. Naaroth landed, and waited for Val to get himself back up.

When Val got up, he brushed the dust off of him and simply said: „Almost had you there.“
Naaroth was silent. Then he smiled, as gentle as a father would to his own son, and spoke in a calm, but majestic tone: „You are ready, boy.“. He breathed fire in front of them, said something in a language Valkyr never heard and on the ground was a gate, similar to that through which Valkyr passed all that time ago. He came close to the dragon, and put his hand on the dragon's head. He whispered: „Thank you, Master.“
„Go now, my Champion. Seek out your destiny, now that I have given you power. You will know what you must do once you come across it. I will be waiting, when everything has ended, I will be waiting for you.“ Naaroth spoke. „To beat your a*s again, that is.“ And with that, he cracked a smile and knocked Valkyr in the portal with his head. Valkyr smiled as he fell through it.

He found himself in front of the wall he found some time ago, but now the gateway, and the carving on it were slowly fading. Valkyr got up and went to search for a way out of there.



Later on, Valkyr joined an order of Imperial Bounty Hunters in the Imperial City, keeping a low profile, not wanting himself known yet. He hunted monsters and humans alike, and was a member of a special divison that wasn't comprised of many people that were the only ones strong enough to handle the hardest missions and the greatest challenges. One day, he was summoned by his Commander, Victor and was told that there is a tiefling that needs killing on an island where there were reports of a night hag that had taken control over the forest. And so, Val set forth on that mission, but along the way found out that there was a bounty on his head, alongside four other individuals. He made for the island, with a smile on his face and the smell of destiny in the air. He knew he will find the answers to that which he seeks soon enough. And when he does, he's going to come for Daeryn. And he is going to make him pay for his betrayal.

© 2019 Digganobz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on July 2, 2019
Last Updated on July 2, 2019
Tags: fantasy dnd character

Author

Digganobz
Digganobz

Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina



About
Just a creative nerd looking for ways to express his mind. more..

Writing
JAX JAX

A Story by Digganobz


Lovac Lovac

A Story by Digganobz


INQUISITOR INQUISITOR

A Story by Digganobz