Alveolate

Alveolate

A Poem by Miss Evans
"

It's so easy to be liked when you fake your life, friends are an accessory, and in the end your rosy appearance will resign to the bitter thorns of your roots.

"

Alveolate

 

They call her beautiful,

She’s the one the masses aim to beat;

Everyman vies for her heart and heed,

They do not know her desolate essence.

 

Fluff and nothing more,

Her personality all for show;

How far can this façade take her?

Only God truly knows.

 

The genuine girls are overlooked,

Their talents left in the dust,

To the one who swears her intentions are meek,

And her vista docile-

Yet there is a pretentious air about her.

 

Fret not for your comparison to her,

The favored rose amongst the calla lilies;

For every rose has its thorn,

Every empty heart its blunder.

 

For she is a Alveolate, full of nothing,

Empty as the weeping willows;

Your charm will be found one day,

Everyman will suddenly look your way-

For with her fake air comes a price,

An envoy easily taking her place;

Your genuinity will get you far,

 

And her fleeting fame left in your wake.

 

© 2012 Miss Evans


Author's Note

Miss Evans
This was inspired by Summer D.’s ‘Juliet’, I suppose I have a different take the meaning of beauty and worth, it’s never a physical thing. The most aesthetically appealing people can be wretched and bitter inside, just as the most homely person can be talented and gracious. The term of ‘Juliet’ really didn’t sit well with me, so I thought to write my own take on the matter.

The definition of Alveolate is that of being ‘hollow’, like a honeycomb. It has no true filling or substance- For me this poem is about people who become shells of their former selves, so hyped up on who they project that they really aren’t anything but a show.

The colors all have meaning. The green of ‘Alveolate’ stands for greed and deceit, the red of the majority of the text stands for the struggle and journey that people go through in life, and the blue at the end is the victory- When those people who deserve recognition get it. I chose the fonts that I did out of personal taste, though.

I chose to use the analogy between the rose and the calla lilies because I’ve noticed that so many people, male and females alike, have such an obsession with roses- I myself never really liked them, they are the logo of those sweet but lethal people you meet, who seem so harmless when looking at them, but have so many thorns. My mother used to have an array of calla lilies, and I’ve always appreciated the beauty of the more simply elegant flowers, as opposed to the vainglorious nature of the rose.

I get highly annoyed with people when they change so quickly from one personality to another, just going with whatever gets them more friends and attention. I see people, like one of my meeker friends here on WritersCafe, who really should get all the attention in the world, but are overlooked for someone with more seeming wit or ‘creativity’, that’s usually just a façade of foolishness. The only trouble with an air of false pretense is that someone can easily take your position, but no one can mock or emulate your originality.

I suppose the thought I’d like to leave everyone with is, are you the calla lily or the rose?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is such a beautiful poem. And very well written too. I love your wonderful comparisons and use of vocabulary. Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Just a bit of address--

I must edit my poem and add yours as a 'response' poem. I was debating between calling my poem, "Earth" and "Juliet." Though my choice of song while writing the poem did influence the title... I chose Juliet for a more humanistic feel. Shakespeare wasn't exactly on my mind... Juliet was a tragic figure.. Confined by others wants and needs... T

Our take isn't much different in that sense, " I suppose I have a different take the meaning of beauty and worth, it's never a physical thing." Throughout the poem and in my author note; I express more of an infatuation with her inner being rather then her 'outward' appearance. Beauty, to some, is outward. Beauty to others is inward. Experience and my upraising has taught me to pay more attention to what most might hide.

The colors was clever. It's hard to answer your question when I think of a rose and a calla lily in both different lights. Perception is key. I'm sure many wouldn't agree with the 'rose' being thought of 'vainglorious'. I think both flowers are rather simple to be quite honest. I like to give flowers humanistic attributes. I think of them all as rather vain, beautiful, creatures. With their intoxicating scents.. colors... and structures... The way they gather such attention from us... They are vain creatures... In my humble opinion.

Perception is key. I have an 'aunt', by heart, who despises roses. She never could quite uproot the roses in her backyard.. So they grow back every year. She cuts them. I personally find all flowers beautiful. I try not to pick favorites. They're all beautiful in their own way... Much like humans. It's a mindset I try to have.

But, for the sake of your poem, you have given them definition.. an phrase to name. It works...I disagree with the thought of Vanity though...

"like one of my meeker friends here on WritersCafe, who really should get all the attention in the world, but are overlooked for someone with more seeming wit or ‘creativity’, that’s usually just a façade of foolishness."

This provoked a small smile from me; as I had written the poem for someone specific. Amrah. I'd paid her the compliment, that used to be found on her profile, that she is a rose that blooms only in the sweetest of company. Admittedly, I had her in mind.

Her shyness.... modesty... faith.. and kindness never fails to astound me. I admire her of sorts. In comparison to my brashness... outspoken behavior... and firey compassion... She is truly a Juliet. By my definition of course. Whether or not you agree with my choice of words...

Those who stand in an "Alveolate" shadow... should never fear. Your conclusion sums it up but there is one more thought to add to that.

Those who could never see your worth to begin with... are not much at all.
Pretenses...


"She is such a rose that blooms only in the sweetest of company. "

Your message, however, is something I cannot despise.
It was true and honest-- it struck home.
Thank you for your response.

Good poem.
Write more. :)

Will add you as a response when I get back! Thanks. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is beautiful, and holds a very true concept. I love the simplicity in your approach and the wholeness in your idea, though I agree with Summer when she says that your allusions were somewhat broken. I do like the use of roses, a metaphor everyone can understand, compared to calla lilies, which are gorgeous, but generally unheard of. I had to look up calla lilies myself, becasue I wasn't familiar with the flower. The sense of relativity added to the contrast nicely. THe entire piece was well written. Thank you.

I want to say I'm a calla lily, but I know that's not entirely true, I have a bit of a split personality, so I can't really control what I'm like, but sometimes I'm more of a rose myself. :P

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a very simple piece that brings home the issues with society today. I love how you took this piece to this place in an attempt to make people see.

Your use of vocab. was great!

Now if everyone could just look past all the fakes and stick with what's real...we'd have it made. Great piece, keep it up.

95/100

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great poem. I prefer a simple black/white scheme but that's all trivial. Just a thought..

Nice use of vocabulary... Not overly showy to were the flow (not particularly my favorite) and meaning is disarrayed...

"The favored rose amongs the calla lillies."

The use of roses.. thorns... to show a rather chimerical sight.. is a little bit over done. Your allusions of nature were somewhat consistent but they broke up here and there.

Comforting. The truth and honesty to this piece overlooks whatever qualms I might have about presentation.

Decently Simple.

These simpler... and more genuine beauties.
We are Juliet.

If I could rate

*90*

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

483 Views
5 Reviews
Added on June 11, 2012
Last Updated on June 11, 2012
Tags: Deceit, Popularity