How Apricots Bruise

How Apricots Bruise

A Story by Dina

Jolly was a small town girl. No one really knew her name, or much about her. And she preferred to keep it that way. She enjoyed a meaningful but quiet life, for the most part. As a solitary figure, it didn’t take much for Jolly to feel satisfied.

One day at the local supermarket, she managed to bump into a mysterious figure. He seemed rather unfamiliar to be in a small town’s territory. Women quickly rushed up to offer him assistance, to which he was slow to decline decline.

Jolly watched the man from a distance. Im small towns, everyone talks. News spreads fast, and so strangers stick out like a sore thumb. After a few moments, Jolly determined that she should proceed with her shopping and went on to pick out her cart.

She managed to work herself to the back of the grocery store to grab some of her favorites snacks when the same man from before managed to appear at a nearby intersection. This time, he was alone. Molly managed to make brief eye contact with him before continuing on with her trip.

Eventually, she would work her way to the front of the store. And to her surprise, the man would turn up once again. This time, in closer proximity. Close enough to make friendly eye contact. It feels too coincidental to be true. And so out of fear, Jolly prepares to check out and exit the grocery store as soon as possible.

She’s manages to cut the process down to 5 minutes before zooming out the door with a few bags in hand. Near the exit, the man happens to bump into her once more. Jolly smirks at him before laughing nervously.

“Do I know you?”

“No, but I know you.” He utters.

“As if that isn’t creepy�"“

“Jolly Mazzalean. 32 years old, college educated, currently commutes by foot to work because it’s ‘better for the environment.’ Avid consumer of manga and strawberry pocky. Frequents the local�"“

“Hold up! Who the hell are you?” Jolly interrupts.

The man smirks as Jolly does her best to hide her anxiety.

“A friend. Maybe a fan even.” He flirts.

Jolly grows suspicious of the man, doing her best to find her way out of the taxing situation. She looks at the exit and examines the distance it will take to walk back home. She the. looks back at the man, who is ever so curiously reading her like a book.

“Well, I guess I’ll be going now.” Jolly fashions.

“Wait, Jolly--“

“I’m sorry, I have to go.”

Jolly runs off before the man can finish his sentence, dropping an apricot behind as she leaves. The man picks up the apricot and holds on to it. Smirking as he further examines it.

A few weeks later, the man has managed to impose upon the small town, making his presence known to anyone who will listen.

“People of Fensviille, I have a unique proposition for whoever can help me locate someone form this town. She smells of Apricots.” He states, while examining the same apricot from the grocery store in admiration.

“Her name is Jolly.”

An onlooker from the crowd chuckles. “Jolly? You mean Jolly with two left feet? Jolly who can’t look a guy in the eye because she’s so shy? The hell you looking for her for? She owe’s you money or something?”

The mysterious man’s charming demeanor quickly turns vicious as he shoots the straggler a menacing stare. He studies the apricot once more before slowly pacing before his audience.

“So you mean to tell me, all of you are better than her?” He challenges. “And why’s that? Give me one good reason you feel that way and I will leave from here at once. Never to return.”

A young girl steps up and is first to respond to the man.

“Well, I’m better looking than her. I’ve gotten every man I’ve ever wanted. And I am highly sought after in these parts.” She smirks as she closes her eyes bashfully.

Following the young girl, a slightly older woman decides to speak up.

“I’m much smarter than her and have much more common sense. My reputation proceeds me. The people in this town are fond of me and trust me with matters small and large.” The woman summarizes proudly.

Not much longer, a young man steps forward, having had experience with dating Jolly before.

“She isn’t even all that. One trick pony. Emotional as hell. Talks your ear off. Always going through something.” He scoffs while looking off to the side with disgust.

The mysterious man continues to examine the Apricot in silence as more and more volunteers begin to step forward. The man waits patiently to see if anyone else would come forward and speak on Jolly’s behalf. To his surprise, another man volunteers to speak up.

“Jolly doesn’t have the best self esteem, you see. And her insecurity hasn’t made her the best person. She’s a bit of a, how can I say this nicely, w***e? She’ll sleep with anything that gives her attention. She’s probably filthy, if you know what I mean.”

The mysterious man continues to study the apricot. Pacing back and forth.

“Anyone else?” He utters, keeping his intentions cloaked until the people have spoken to their satisfaction.

This time, an old friend chooses to step forward.

“I went to school with Jolly. She was a bit of a recluse. I say this with your best interest in mind, but I would look elsewhere if I were you. Jolly is a bit of a problem child. She’s struggled since she was young. And life just seems to have a way of, well, giving her a hard time.”

The man continues to examine the apricot in silence. This time, he doesn’t bother to ask if there are anymore witnesses who wish to share their perspective. He simply stands in complete silence, examining the apricot with intensity.

Finally, he holds the apricot before the crowd. The people look and study the apricot, trying to understand why it’ could be so captivating to him.

“You see, this apricot was dropped two weeks ago at the local supermarket. But I decided to pick it up and nurture it while in my care. By the looks of it? You never would think it were two weeks old.”

The man studies the apricot for a moment more before abruptly holding it upward and slamming it to the ground. The crowd moves back defensively before staring at him with concern.

The man smoothes his hair back and rolls up his sleeves before picking the apricot up to hold it before the crowd.

“Now, tell me. What do you see now?”

A woman speaks out.

“Well, you went ahead and bruised it.” She speaks in a matter of fact fashion. The man smirks while studying the apricot once more. He paces back and forth and walks in circles in complete silence, as the crowd studies him and tries to understand his vision better.

“You see” he attempts, before pausing once more to get one last good look of the apricot.

“Before I tossed the apricot on the ground, it went two weeks in my care, remaining in perfect condition. But when I took it and smashed it on the ground, it became damaged. Who would’ve thought that the apricot I held only 5 minutes ago could be the same one as the one I’m holding right now? Had any of you not been here to witness me smash it, I’m sure none of you would believe how fresh it was when I first pulled it out.”

The crowd begins to murmur amongst themselves, slightly catching on to what the man was getting at.

“So,” He continues.

“Is Jolly damaged? Or was she damaged?” He poses.

The crowd grows silent. From the back of the crowd, a girl with sunglasses can be seen making her way towards the front. She weaves through the crowd, keeping her head down so not to be identified. Upon making it to the front of the crowd, she removes her glasses. It’s revealed to be Jolly.

Jolly and the man hold warm eye contact with each other. There is an understanding that much can be felt without needing to be spoken.

“I was wondering where that one went.”

Molly utters, before reaching to extend the man a warm embrace.

© 2024 Dina


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on April 27, 2024
Last Updated on April 27, 2024

Author

Dina
Dina

CT



About
Just keep swimming 🪬 more..

Writing
The Ingenue The Ingenue

A Chapter by Dina





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5