Perhaps

Perhaps

A Story by nihilistictablelamp

There is a thin, ephemeral line between infatuation, love, and obsession. These can be crossed in an instant. Imagine a moment so perfect in time; The air is chilly, and not too flat, just like the soda pop that sits clasped within your clammy hands. Her hair is impeccable, as well as her sublime face. Quite honestly, you haven't set your eyes upon a more beautiful woman since the discovery of Playboy magazines. 

And then you question yourself if you've fallen in love with her.
Which, of course, draws out into deeper questions, like how, and when. 
Was it when you clasped hands with her, leading her down the steps of her home as her father gave you a frustrated look, glancing up from his newspaper as her velvet dress brushed against your hip?

                                                                 Or was it earlier?

There is underlying truth hidden beneath a film of lies that we must scrape so delicately enough to see.

A man can go mad questioning himself countless times throughout the day, to a point where a silly psychiatrist may label it as a severe case of Obsessive-compulsive disorder, whereas any man with sense - a mere philosopher.

"There is a loneliness in this world so great that you can see it in the slow movement of the hands of a clock. People so tired, mutilated either by love or no love."

Perhaps we confuse ourselves into concepts, play around with simple ideas and find "jobs" and create a "family." Such words seemed unfamiliar to the typical by standard at the time they were coined. But as time drags on we begin to accept these things, surround ourselves with, dare I say it, "love." And even now, in such an era, there is no definite answer to what such a thing is. It is as if we built up these invisible walls, plastered snapshots of our lives upon them, and made it so that we forgot about our inevitable departure. 

And the morose part of the majority is that we can't do a damn thing about it. We live our day to day lives as optimists and pray to a God that he will grant our beloved aging mothers or sickly daughters several years to live. We live our day to day lives believing that there is such a thing as love, that perhaps it isn't just the fact that you were attached to your mother's umbilical cord at birth, or that it is merely attraction to the girl you spent decades living across the street from. We want to believe, so, so earnestly, that there is a light at the end of tunnel, that after this malignant monstrosity is eradicated, it is only roses and beautiful embers burning for days to come. 

Because that's really the only thing we can do, is put hope into a sieve labeled "perhaps" and watch it dwindle into a glass of unknown. 

© 2013 nihilistictablelamp


Author's Note

nihilistictablelamp
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Profound in places, but overall it's a thought fest more than a story. The idea here is you're being told everything, being made to think specific questions - perhaps even questions you're asking yourself and as a result it becomes more apt as a spoken word or just speech to inspire knowledge in others - being 'a mere philosopher' if you like.

It is, however, interesting and exactly the kind of thing people should be questioning themselves on more. So I thank you for sharing will admit I was intrigued by the write. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Humans are meant to be in relation with each other. Some do well at it, the whole relationship thing, and others do not. Good piece!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Profound in places, but overall it's a thought fest more than a story. The idea here is you're being told everything, being made to think specific questions - perhaps even questions you're asking yourself and as a result it becomes more apt as a spoken word or just speech to inspire knowledge in others - being 'a mere philosopher' if you like.

It is, however, interesting and exactly the kind of thing people should be questioning themselves on more. So I thank you for sharing will admit I was intrigued by the write. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is really well done. Great work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was very good. I'm new here and this is the first piece of writing that inspired me to acknowledge. Hope to see you tackle a story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nihilistictablelamp

10 Years Ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I appreciate your authors note more than the rest....lol

You are thoughtful and inspired I see.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nihilistictablelamp

10 Years Ago

Ah, thank you. It's by Albert Camus by the way.
soliloquy

10 Years Ago

oh, ok. I assumed it was you. It was still a great read.
"When madness integrates with love it is called love and when love integrates with madness it is still love. For love is the undefined and defiant constant in which we thrive and live in this plane of the mundane and inane. However there are frequencies of madness in its highs and lows which shall appear before us, to that we leave it to the heartthrobs, the poets and the artists to take us into the Elysian heights."

"It's a challenge to those who are inexperienced as it is to the experience it is a mere hindrance. However love is the revolution of evolution in which pollution has nothing against it. For it is about breaking the damnation of this contagion in which is cured by the remedy of which we call our heart. The depth of it is unfathomable and it is tireless as it is indefatigable too. For when we aim, we must take it into heights of which it will hit not only the stars but the souls in our true self. This is the intoxication of what love brings to those who love each other."

"Moreover even as we love there is a sacrifice in which we must learn to take in by stride. That is life. What life brings, it brings of hope, despair and chaos but it takes to know that we are ready to experience the exceptional which is faith, trust and a miracle."

"A world without its enigma is a world with a looking glass. Always presumed and assumed of what will happen whereas if such glass is taken away we are blinded by those who are even in front of us."

Saw this as a poetic argument and I loved it! I am ending up posting this here and on my Facebook writing page. Hope you don't mind! I loved it for sure :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


nihilistictablelamp

10 Years Ago

Deeply appreciated :D I'm glad you liked it.
Zero_Edge88

10 Years Ago

Thank you :) It was more of a love than a like because I ended up posting it on my Facebook writing .. read more
A splendid one. I love your thoughts on the world and its enigma...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

436 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 14, 2013
Last Updated on July 14, 2013
Tags: Philosophy, Comprehend, Coin, Simplicity, Love

Author

nihilistictablelamp
nihilistictablelamp

TX



About
I want to keep smashing myself until I am whole. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..