Chapter 2: Thorgrid

Chapter 2: Thorgrid

A Chapter by Tacitus
"

The first men

"


  1. Among the first men was Orius and he led them as the first lord. Tall and broad of stature, he stood proud before the gods and defended his people against all their machinations.


  1. Prakos came down among the people, scattering them with a great bellow from his horn, and stood before Orius and said unto him, “Bow before me, leader of men, for I am your god and you will worship me above any others.”


  1. Orius rose from his seat and refused to obey the god of the flow, saying, “I recognize you not, as worthy of my obeisance. Leave this place and harass my people no more.”


  1. The god, Prakos, flew into a blinding rage, and taking up his three-pronged spear, leaped towards Orius, intending to strike him a deadly blow. But Orius was cunning and skilled and stepped aside, delivering Prakos a terrible blow with his war hammer.


  1. Prakos fell dazed and could not fight further. Orius stood over him, his hammer held high, and said unto him, “I have no wish to slay one of the gods. Go from here or I will rage against you until my dying breath takes me from this world. And all my people shall rage against you from now until the end of time.”


  1. Prakos got to his feet and shamed, ran from the land of men.


  1. Returning to the heavenly firmament, he counseled with his brothers and sisters. He warned them, “Mankind has become strong and dangerous. They’re lord, Orius, leads them against us and will not bow.”


  1. Thorus, eldest and most cunning of the gods, replied, “We must strike Orius down. Without him, mankind is weak and will bow to us.” And so they prepared, and sowed dissention and chaos among the people of Orius.


  1. Orius had a wife, Stagrisanae, fair and beautiful as the first flower of spring. Crius went down and ensured Orius’ absence from their bed-chamber, detaining him at his court. Thorus entered, disguised as Orius and took her, filling her with his seed and ensuring her pregnancy.


  1. As he turned to go, she saw his face reflected in a mirror and she saw not the face of her husband, but that of Thorus reflected in the glass. Shame and fear filled her and she kept the truth hidden from her husband.


  1. A son was born and grew strong and true and was named Thorgrid. He grew to adulthood and all the while Thorus whispered in his ear, disguised as a small finch, filling his mind with poisoned thoughts and turning him against Orius.


  1. One night, Thorgrid slipped into Orius’ bedchamber and producing a dagger, slew his father. Hearing a great commotion, guards burst in and Thorgrid fled, retreating to the wilderness, where he remained in exile for many years.


  1. The gods rejoiced at the death of Orius and felt assured of their victory, but they’re ill-gotten pleasure turned to ash in their mouths, for Stagrisanae was pregnant with a true son of Orius and his line continued.

  2. Cython, the true son of Orius, though still a child was just and fair and there was no doubt among the people that he was the son of Orius.

  3. Thorus came to the child as he had come to Thorgrid and whispered poison into the child’s ear, but Cython’s heart was strong and pure and could not be corrupted. Enraged by his failure, Thorus contrived a more cunning plan.

  4. Returning to Thorgrid, deep in the forest, Thorus set to him a task. To please the Gods and become himself a king of all mankind, Thorus decreed that Thorgrid should corrupt the people and set them upon each other in a great war.

  5. Thorgrid listened and asked, “But father, how will I corrupt the people? I am exiled and hold no sway over them?”

  6. Thorus summoned a finch and instructed it in all that Thorgrid was to say an do. “This bird will remain at your side and help you in your task.” Then Thorus returned to the firmament, satisfied that Thorgrid would carry out his task.

  7. Thorgrid returned to the places where men dwelt and said unto them, “The Gods are not your enemies. You have been deceived by Orius and his minions. Why else would he have made himself king unless he wanted to be worshiped himself as a god? And now a child sits upon the throne and you, the people, are but servants to his whims. The Gods are your friends and wish you to be better than slaves to your fellow man.”

  8. Many of the people were swayed by Thorgrid’s words and became discontented and riotous. As Thorgrid’s words spread through the land, friend turned upon friend and neighbor upon neighbor. A great war was kindled and all the land was caught in the great conflagration.

  9. Though Thorgrid’s words had turned many against Cython and his family, many more remained loyal and the war was turned against Thorgrid’s followers.

  10. Tasting the sting of certain defeat, Thorgrid’s people prepared for a final battle, on the plain before the gates of Esoc, the largest city and seat of Cython’s kingship. The two armies met in a violent and bloody struggle and many people were slaughtered in the great battle.

  11. Thorgrid, himself, was gravely wounded by an arrow fired from the bow of Faro, a young warrior and Cython’s greatest friend. As he lay bleeding on the battlefield, Thorgrid cried up to the God’s begging their interdiction and help.

  12. Hearing Thorgrid’s plea, the Gods set about turning the tide of battle.



© 2017 Tacitus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on December 10, 2017
Last Updated on December 10, 2017
Tags: Among the first men was Orius


Author

Tacitus
Tacitus

CT



Writing
Chapter 1: Origin Chapter 1: Origin

A Chapter by Tacitus


Hunters' Way Hunters' Way

A Book by Tacitus