The List 26-30

The List 26-30

A Story by Meaghan M
"

Tears, Foreign, Sorrow, Happiness, Under the Rain

"

#26 Tears

            The car came to a stop. He got out from the driver's seat and opened the back door for her. She got out and stood still as he closed the car doors.

            "In front or behind?" he asked.

            Giving a quick glance and an annoyed smiled, she replied, "Which ever pleases you officer."

            He spun her around gently. She felt him snap the handcuffs onto her wrists. Lightly grasping her forearm, the two made their way down the path and through the large gates.

            From first glance, the security guard could not tell that the two were an officer of the law and a convict. He was wearing clean pressed black suit. She wore dark dress pants, a white button-up shirt, and high heels. It was not until they passed him and he saw the handcuffs that he realized what they were.

            The two walked in silence passed several rows of graves before turning onto the grass. The officer stopped her short of their destination.

            "You sure you're ready for this?" he asked softly.

            She turned her head toward him, but did not raise her eyes.

            "I missed her funeral because I was being arrested for murder. I at least owe her a visit." she said.

            Nodding, they walked three more graves to reach her mother's. He stood next to her in silence for a few minutes. She merely stared at the headstone. Twenty minutes went by.

            "We have to start heading back now kid-o." he said with a sigh.

            "No, I can't leave yet." she said.

            "We have to go-"

            "No, I can't." she snapped.

            "Why not?"

            "I haven't cried yet!" she shouted, but quickly lowered her voice again. "I can't leave until I cry."

            A moment of silence passed.

            "I watch my father kill my mother, murdered my father, left my four younger siblings to the care of the state, and received a life sentence." she said. "And I didn't shed one tear."

            The officer kept silent. She turned to looked at him again, her face red with frustration. He could not help but pity her. Her eyes flared with anger.

            "I can't shed one single tear."

 

 

#27 Foreign

            The door swung open loudly, and Addy was dragged into the room. One of the men bolted the door shut as the others strapped Addy into a chair. they took the bag off her head, but kept the blindfold and the gag on her. She heard them once again speak in the strange language.

            Addy squirmed in the chair until she heard the door open again. Another man entered the room. The blindfold and the gag were removed. The man Addy did not know placed his hands on the arms of the chair, and leaned in toward her. He asked her question in the strange language.

            The best that Addy could do was guess that the language was Russian or something like that. What she did know was that she did not understand a word they were saying. He asked the question again, this time louder. Addy merely sat there in silence, shaking uncontrollably.

            Backing up, the man looked away for a moment before throwing his fist into Addy's face. Afraid to make a sound, she held back the scream. Spitting out some blood, she turned back to the man. He leaned again the chair and asked the question again. When Addy did not answer, he gripped her throat and came closer to her face.

            "What do you think you're playing at?" he asked in English with a thick accent.

            "I don't understand what you're saying." Addy gasped for air. "I don't speak-"

            "Don't pretend you don't understand us girl." he demanded, tightening his grip.

            Once more, he asked the question in the strange language.

            "I don't understand. You're got the wrong girl." Addy cried.

            Pushing away, the man left the room.           

            "You've got the wrong girl! I don't understand what you're saying!"

            One of the other men put the gag back in Addy's mouth and tied it tight. Addy screamed. The others began to leave the room. As the last one reached the door, he switched off the lights. He left and bolted the door shut.

            The sounds of Addy's muffled screams echoed through the night until, they assumed, she passed out or had not voice left to scream.

 

 

 

#28 Sorrow

            Tikki felt Dunbar's hand on her shoulder as she was led out of the house. Most of the village had gathered at the boundary. The Elders were there as well, looking solemn in their formal attire. She had expected them to take the shackles off her as soon as she reached the Elders. When the shackles were not removed, she began to worry about the decision they had come to.

            "Tikki," one of the Elders announced, "you have been charged with the intentional and unnecessary murder of a member of another clan, the drawing of your weapon on a family member with the intent to harm, and the drawing of your weapon on your dragon. During your detainment, the Elders of this clan along with several others have discussed this matter and come to a decision."

            Tikki noticed that none of the Elders were looking at her. Her eyes wandered away from them. She found Mendin standing with Dogan in her arms. She saw Regan, her face tight probably from holding back the tears. Next to her stood Damien, his hand in Regan's. Tikki could tell that he had already gotten his crying out of the way. Her worry had begun to grow again as she realized she could not find Kenny.

            "Some of us," the Elder began again, and Tikki's eyes went back to him, "thought that because of your age and the circumstances surrounding the situation, you cannot be held completely responsible for your actions."

            Tikki felt a brief moment of relief. Dunbar had been right; there had been no reason to worry. They would punish her, but it would not be anything devastating.

            "Unfortunately..."

            Her fear quickly resurfaced.

            "We have to acknowledge that your crimes are far too severe to overlook because of that." the Elder looked at Tikki for the first time. "Tikki, you are hereby found guilty of an Unforgiveable, for which the punishment is exile until the end of your days."

            Tikki squeaked, feeling her legs lose all feeling. The shackles were removed and Dunbar stepped back. Still unable to feel the lower half of her body, Tikki somehow began to walk forward away from the village. Turning her head, the tears finally formed as she realized that Kenny was not there at all.

 

 

 

#29 Happiness

            "Lieutenant!"

            Both Louie and Red turned at the call. The soldier in the opening of the tent corrected himself.

            "Lieutenant Zonie!"

            Red groaned in annoyance, throwing his cards down on the table.

            "I had a winning hand." he said, getting up from his chair.

            "I'm sure you did." Louie laughed.

            Louie, Troy, and Matthew returned to their poker game. Red walked over to the tent and entered. A Captain he had never seen before stood there. The two exchanged salutes and courtesies.

            Back at the table, Troy placed down a straight flush. Louie moaned in defeat, and Matthew merely stared at the cards in utter shock. As Troy collected his winnings, Red walked out of the tent. Sitting back down, he began to open a sealed envelope.

            "Mail's not supposed to come for another week." Louie said, reshuffling the deck.

            "Our dear friend the General sent it to us."

            "Aww." Louie gave a fake smile. "He does care."

            Opening the envelope, Red smiled at Louie's comment and unfolded the letter. He leaned back in the chair, cleared his throat, and read the letter silently. His smile vanished. He looked up at Louie, who then snatched the piece of paper form his hand. She read through it quickly and her mouth dropped slightly.

            Louie's head swam. Taking her eyes from the letter, she noticed a Captain exit the tent Red had gone in. She got up quickly and hurried over to him. she did not bother with formalities.

            "Captain, is this letter real?" she asked, concerned about the answer.

            "You must be Lieutenant O'Connell then." he said. "Yes, the letter is real. The General said that he wanted you and Lieutenant Zonie to be the first to know."

            Louie nodded and thanked the Captain, a bit dazed by the situation. In his chair, Red began laughing. His eyes began to tear up slightly. Louie heard her name. She turned around to see Troy standing next to her.

            "What'd it say?" he asked softly.

            Louie took a moment for her to answer.

            "We're going home." she smiled. "We're all going home."

 

 

#30 Under the Rain

            Ben sat in his room, a book in hand. Outside, the rain beat down on the house. It took him a few minutes to realize that the tapping on his window was not the rain. Concentrating on his window, he saw a small pebble bounce off the glass. Ben got up quickly and went to the window.

            Keith stopped mid-toss as soon as he saw Ben. He dropped the pebble and Ben opened the window.

            "What are you doing here?" Ben asked.

            "Um..." Keith mumbled.

            Keith was soaked. He had obviously been standing out in the rain for a while before throwing the rocks. He had expected to have a little more time to think of something to say.

            "I must look like an idiot." he shouted.

            "Basically." Ben replied. "How long have you been out there?"

            "I'm not sure."

            The two fell silent for a minute.

            "What do you want Keith?"

            Keith rubbed the back of his neck.

            "I've been thinking about what you said."

            "Keith," Ben groaned, "please, don't do this now."

            "Please, let me get this out."

            Keith paused. The rain continued to pour down on him. This conversation had gone easier in his head only minutes ago. Now it seemed like he could not get out some simple sentence. Taking a deep breath, he counted to three in his head.

            "You were right. I was scared."

            Ben said nothing. He had not expected this from Keith. He had never expected to never see him again. Keith had a fiancée. He and Ben had only met a few months ago. What happened had happened so quickly that neither of them had time to fully grasp it. Ben had accepted it. Keith had not.

            Ben backed away from the window. A moment later, the front door opened. The rain still fell as Ben leaned up against the door frame. Keith smiled.

            "I can do this." Keith said.

            Laughing, Ben ran out into the rain to Keith.

© 2010 Meaghan M


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on August 9, 2010
Last Updated on August 15, 2010

Author

Meaghan M
Meaghan M

NY



About
Meaghan, spelt with as many letters as you can cram into the name. 22, Long Island. I'm a writer, it's what I do. more..

Writing
RoRrim RoRrim

A Story by Meaghan M