The List 46-50

The List 46-50

A Story by Meaghan M
"

Family, Creation, Childhood, Stripes, Breaking the Rules

"

#46 Family

            Lucas messed with the handcuffs that chained him to the radiator as quietly as he could.

            "There's no chance of you breaking that, so why even try? You're only going to get yourself into trouble." Gus said quietly, chained to the radiator on the other side of the room.

            Lucas stopped struggling only to shot the older man a dirty look. Leaning forward as much as their handcuffs would allow him, he spoke in a hushed tone.

            "You've been with them a while right?"

            Gus closed his eyes and nodded.

            "What is it with them? I don't get it. Why haven't they killed each other already?"

            "What do you mean?" Gus asked, keeping his eyes closed.

            Lucas tried to lean forward, but the handcuffs prevented him.

            "I mean, they're sins right? They infect people with their curses. How is it that they can tolerate each other? Each one of them is the very embodiment of a specific deadly sin. How do they get along the way they do?"

            Gus did not answer right away.

            "Because they're family." he answered at long last.

            Lucas merely stared at the older man for a few minutes before he could conjure up a response.

            "What?"

            Heaving a heavy sigh of annoyance, Gus sat up straight and opened his eyes.

            "It's not Pride, the Deadly Sin, and Gluttony, the Deadly Sin. They are the Seven Deadly Sins. They're a collective. When they were exiled from the heavens, all they had was each other. They may go about it in their own ways, but they are all working toward the same goals: infect, and get back into the heavens."

            Lucas continued to look confused. Gus went on explaining.

            "They can't infect each other. They are the only ones of their kind, gods trapped amongst mortals. Out of every living person on Earth, there are only seven of them. It can be a lonely existence. All they have is each other."

            When Gus was through speaking, he turned away from Lucas and closed his eyes once again. Lucas stared at nothing, going over it in his head.

            "But-" he started.

            "Quiet down in there!"

 

 

#47 Creation

            "Allie!"

            The small five year old redhead ran behind a bush, giggling softly. She heard her mother call her again. Her mother would never find her; she was for too good at hide-and-seek. Allie giggled again. Again, she heard her name but this time it was whispered and it was not her mother's voice. Holding back yet another giggle by covering her mouth with both hands, Allie turned around to see Delilah poking her head out from behind a nearby tree.

            "Come on Allie." Delilah said, laughing.

            Delilah ran out from behind the tree and deeper into the woods behind Allie's house. Ignoring her mother's calls, Allie ran after her friend. She did not run very far before she caught up with Delilah. Delilah was once again poking her head out from behind a tree. Allie smiled and placed her hands on her hips.

            "Where have you been Delilah? she said, doing her best to sound serious.

            Delilah only answered with laughter. Winking, she ducked behind the tree and out of sight. Allie faintly heard her mother call for her, but she simply ignored it again. She could play with mommy any time she wanted to; Delilah was always so sneaky. Sometimes when Allie wanted to play with her, she would just be there. Other times, it was hard to find Delilah.

            Allie skipped over to the tree and looked behind it. But Delilah was not there.

            "Allie." Delilah whispered.

            Allie turned around, but Delilah still was not there.

            "Delilah?"

            Allied hear Delilah laugh.

            "Come on Allie."

            Still, Allie could not find her friend. She heard her mother in the distance.

            "Allie, come on sweetie! Come on out!"

            Allie looked back at where she had come from.

            "Allie?"

            Allie spun around and saw Delilah.

            "You have a way of getting me into trouble." Allie said.

            Delilah smiled and Allie could not resist giggling.

            "Allie!"

            Allie waved to her friend and ran off toward the sound of her mother's voice. She turned around only once and Delilah was already gone.

 

 

#48 Childhood

            Maggie sat forward in the chair, her face buried in her hands. The orphanage director sat at his desk while the lawyer walked over to Maggie. He bent down in front of her and placed a hand on her knee.

            "Listen, we know that your birthday was only three months ago and that this is a lot to ask or you, but this is what your sister wanted."

            "I hadn't seen my sister since I was seven." Maggie said, keeping face in the palms of her hands.

            "We're aware of that, but her will-"

            Maggie stood up quickly and began pacing the room. The lawyer stood up too.

            "What about the father?" she asked.

            The lawyer shook his head. "Your sister didn't know who the father was."

            Maggie rubbed the back of her neck, laughing in annoyance.

            "That's my sister."

            The lawyer looked over at the orphanage, who stood up from his desk and walked over to Maggie.

            "Let me show you something. Follow me." he said, and led her over to the window. He pointed down at a small brunette girl on the playground. "You're all she has, Maggie."

            Maggie watched the young girl play; she watched her laugh. Before going to the morgue to identify the body the day before, Maggie had not seen her older sister in close to eleven years. How could she ask something like this of her? It was not fair. Maggie had only just turned eighteen. This was the time of her life to f**k everything up, not raise a niece she hadn't even known she had.

            Maggie kept her eyes on the girl. No matter how Maggie put it, this girl was family. Her mother had not been able to save her sister, but maybe she would be able to save this girl. But why? Why did it have to be her responsibility?

            "I'm still just a kid." Maggie whispered, noticing for the first time that she was crying slightly.

            "So is she." the orphanage director sighed. "You two should have a lot in common then."

            Maggie bent her head back, closed her eyes, and bit her lip in annoyance. She grunted once and turned to face the lawyer.

            "Where so I sign?"

 

 

#49 Stripes

            "Take it off and wear the one I bought for you." Leanna shouted.

            "No." Tiffany snapped, sounding as if she was three years old and whining.

            "Why are you being so difficult?"

            "Why are you being such a b***h?"

            "Take it off." Leanna demanded for the third time, placing her hands on her hips.

            In defiance, Tiffany tightened the tie around her neck. Throwing up her arms in annoyance, Leanna huffed and walked out of the room. Tiffany turned toward the full length mirror. Her face was beat red. She breathed heavily, trying to calm herself. It did not last very long though.

            Leanna stormed back into the room and dropped a pile of clothes on the floor. Before Tiffany could say anything, Leanna left the room again. Tiffany stared at the clothes for a moment and realized they were all hers. She made her way out of the room. As soon as she got into the hallway, a pair of pants collided with her head. Leanna stood at the other end of the hallway, throwing piece after piece of Tiffany's clothing at her.

            "Leanna, stop it!" Tiffany yelled, dodging a pair of shoes.

            "Get out!" Leanna screamed. "Take your s**t and get out."

            "Are you kidding me!?"
            Leanna did not stop.

            "Do you realize that we're arguing over a striped tie!?" Tiffany shouted.

            "It's more than just the tie, Tiffany."

            "Well maybe I should leave!"

            Leanna stopped her arm mid-toss. She stared at Tiffany, wanting nothing more than to continue throwing things at her. But that last statement had struck something in both of them.

            "Is that what you want?" Leanna asked, keeping her arm in the air.

            "Leanna," Tiffany said, somberly, "all I know is that this isn't working anymore."

            Leanna could not believe what she had just heard, but did not allow herself to get upset.

            "Fine then." She put her arm down. "Go then."

            "Leanna-"

            "Go!"

            After a moment, Tiffany left the apartment. Once she heard the door shut, Leanna finally let herself cry.

 

 

#50 Breaking the Rules

            CJ lay on the couch with Elliot hovering over her.

            "Do you surrender?" he asked playfully.

            CJ laughed and placed her lips on Elliot's. Kissing back, Elliot began running his hand up the side of CJ's body. CJ's breathing got heavier as the kiss became more passionate. Running her hands over his chest, she began to slowly unbutton Elliot's shirt. She had unbuttoned half his shirt when a knock came to the apartment door. Elliot tried to ignore it, but whoever it was, was persistent.

            Sighing, Elliot broke the kiss.

            "Hold that thought." he whispered, getting up from the couch.

            CJ remained on the couch, breathing deeply to calm herself back down. Smiling to herself, Elliot made his way over to the door. Looking over at CJ, he opened it. When he looked back, he saw Oliver and his smile disappeared. He quickly reached for his shirt and fumbled with the buttons.

            Oliver said nothing. He walked around Elliot and into the apartment. He stopped once he saw CJ lying on the couch. CJ's smiles and laughs disappeared, and she slowly lifted herself up so that she was leaning back on her forearms. Oliver hurried back over to Elliot and pulled him into the hallway.

            "Are you out of your mind?" Oliver snapped in a hushed tone. "You are an officer of the law and she was a victim seven months ago."

            "I'm aware of that."

            "How could you do this Elliot?"

            "We're not doing anything wrong-"

            "She's twelve years younger than you." Oliver spat. "You're an SVU detective. How can you say that there's nothing wrong with what you're doing?"

            Elliot did not answer. Oliver could not speak anymore and left. After a moment, Elliot went back into his apartment. He found CJ on the couch, tapping her foot nervously. Once she heard the door close, she looked up at Elliot. She stood up slowly as they simply stared at each other for a good two minutes. Elliot shook his head, not breaking eye contact with CJ.

            "I don't care." he said softly.

            It only took him a few seconds to walk over to her and kiss her again. CJ wrapped her arms around his neck. He lifted her up and she wrapped her legs around his waist. Elliot walked over to his bedroom, opened the door, and went in

            He did not care and neither did she.

© 2010 Meaghan M


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on August 15, 2010
Last Updated on August 15, 2010

Author

Meaghan M
Meaghan M

NY



About
Meaghan, spelt with as many letters as you can cram into the name. 22, Long Island. I'm a writer, it's what I do. more..

Writing
RoRrim RoRrim

A Story by Meaghan M