The Hour Glass

The Hour Glass

A Poem by Sean Allen
"

He watched it every day

"

The Hour Glass

 

          A 94 year old scientist, watching very closely, turned over his hour glass for what must have been the half a millionth time.  He could never tell which grain landed first as it was so quickly covered up by a million others.  He came back when the hour had almost passed and there were just a few remaining grains in the top part of the glass.  Watching the remaining sand very closely as well, he was able to see the last grain as it passed through the opening and landed gently on the top of the sand.  Being able to see the last grain had always pleased him so.

 

          On the same day, his granddaughter, already a young woman, stopped by to visit and noticed that her grandfather was still just watching the time pass by… day by day.  The granddaughter handed the old man a small package, carefully wrapped and tied with a red bow, “Tomorrow is your birthday grandfather and you will be 95, and I thought we should spend some time together.  So I have decided to give you this digital watch for your birthday.”

© 2010 Sean Allen


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah, I like this story...to be fascinated by a grain of sand for so many years, like a child. I feel similarly about flowers, I often watch them as they open and then turn to seeds, over and over I watch the process, I don't think I will ever tire of it.
And to have his granddaughter misunderstand his activity of watching the grains of sand and give him a digital watch, this is a great ending, yet sad. I find myself hoping that he will take this moment to share his wonder in watching the last grain of sand.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There is a lot of depth and meaning in this short narrative and it is truly brilliant in its brevity. I like the title of the story, the main focus actually of the old man's lifetime fascination. It reminded me of my son who was so fascinated by the white sand in one of our beaches here that he took home a plastic bag full of it. Curious as always, I looked at some sand through a magnifying glass and found out they were very tiny little shells - not sand at all. So that's why they were not gray but white. (Another senior citizen discovery, like this 95 year old man.) Enjoyed this story very much, it is filled with thought-provoking wisdom.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is wonderful, Sean. Sad really and such a pity.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like how this played out. it describes the different generations well. some just don't get it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a delight to read! So sweet and full of love! BRAVO! I'm glad my sister came across your oage and shared it with me. Your writng is wonderful to read!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it good write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The grasp is so tight..one finds kneeling on your feet..!!!! Majestic..!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very nice story - with a message we should all heed...


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this story too.
Bask in your awareness, Sean, and please, continue to voice your spirit.
Our ranks are growing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Love this story and lesson in the story.
Just watching the sand drop.. forgetting to live life not watch it pass by.. great poem and advice.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

391 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 19, 2010
Last Updated on June 19, 2010

Author

Sean Allen
Sean Allen

West Haven, CT



About
I am just a writer! At least I think I am. If I can only convince someone else of that, I will be a happy writer. But until then, I'm just a writer. Check out www.EclipseLogic.com and www.LightO.. more..

Writing
The Song The Song

A Poem by Sean Allen


Petals Petals

A Poem by Sean Allen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5