The stakes were high

The stakes were high

A Story by Donna

 

 
 
I woke up in a clearing last night.  Lying face down in the desert outside a grove of olive trees.  Dirt, sticks and small rocks pressed against my cheek. The last thing I remembered, it was around 7:30 I was in my apartment enjoying a bottle of red wine. 1995, a good year for grapes so I’ve heard, but I’m not captious when it comes to wine.
 
 
 
I had bought 2 bottles earlier that evening and although upon awakening I didn’t remember drinking the second, it was pretty obvious from the fact that I’d just woken up in the middle of f*****g nowhere that the second bottle had been uncorked as well.   
 
 
The moon was full and lit the clearing well, still feeling inebriated I decided to go into the grove and get to the end as I would obviously find a street, freeway or something would come up. I searched and realized that I had no cell phone on me and was wearing just a white summer dress, white panties and flip flops.
 
 
I walked for a half hour into that grove, the trees became thicker and the night seemed so much darker as the moon disappeared hidden by the tops of the intertwining trees. I considered turning back around when I saw what looked like a large bright light up ahead. As I walked toward this light, the unmistakable and pleasant scent of sandalwood and juniper started to permeate the warm night air.
 
 
I heard voices, and came upon another small clearing in the middle of the olive trees.  A spot where the moon shone unnaturally bright in a circle surrounded by the dark trees. 
 
 
In the middle of that clearing was a U shaped table with 4 chairs on one end 3 of which had men seated and hunched over what looked like cards and coins.  At the other end of the table was a tall man, about 30ish in a dark suit, white shirt and old fashioned bow tie. None of them seemed to notice as I approached.
 
 
 
Walking closer I noticed that the man in the suit was uncommonly beautiful. He had pale skin, black hair and black eyes that seemed even in the bright moonlight to have an aphotic quality.
 
 
"Well, hello there gorgeous" he greeted me with a radiant smile and mellifluous voice. "Gentleman it seems we have another player"
 
 
 No,  I am just trying to get to the freeway I said unconvincingly, drawn to this man as I realized that it was him that was emanating the scintillating sandalwood and juniper smell. I stood with my belly against the table unable to tear my eyes from his face.  "Nonsense" he smiled, "you are closer than you think… Besides the night is young and so are we, isn’t that right gentlemen?"  
 
 
The men looked up at me and said nothing, just scooted their chairs over as I sat down. I glanced at these three men curiously, one was tall, about 6’4 from what I could tell as he was sitting, pale Blue eyes and a lean muscular frame.
 
 
Next to him huddled another, shorter about 5'7, wiry, dark haired and although his eyes were blue as well, they radiated a fierce intelligence. His eyes locked on mine for a millisecond and then looked away impatiently towards the dealer.
 
 
The third was a man about the same height as the second, 5’7 with lightly tanned skin, dark black hair and he smiled at me with a slightly troubled but friendly smile before turning toward the man in the suit as well.
 
 
"Would you like a glass of wine?" the dealer asked.  I felt surreal, his scent bringing back so many memories "sure" I replied.  He pulled out a black unlabeled bottle and handed me a delicate wine glass.  As he poured I watched his hands, nails long, about three inches and clean and noticed that although masculine in their size, there was an almost feminine beauty to his long tapered fingers.
 
 
 
The dealer leaned back and as the other men stared blankly at their chips. He smiled at me white teeth gleaming and asked what will you wager miss?  Ha-ha I laughed, the wine seeming to course through me instantly making me feel extraordinary and incredibly tipsy at the same time. "I have no money" I announced with a drunken theatrically sad sigh.
 
 
 
He smiled again with that glorious smile, as if that were the exact conclusion that he had been waiting for me to come to. I smiled back pleasantly overwhelmed by his attention, the wine, his scent and the glow the moon.
 
 
"Oh, but beautiful” he said leaning across the table to stroke my cheek with one long nail and stare into my eyes. I was mesmerized by the boundless depths of those black eyes. His warm breath smelled delightfully of fresh cloves.
 
 
 
Come closer he said and I leaned forward. "There are many things of value that we can play for" he whispered full lips brushing my ear. A sudden jolt of lust flushed through my body.... "Your heart for instance” he paused then. Panties wet, I could only nod. 
 
 
"Close your eyes" he whispered. I complied, heart racing as the rest of my body seemed to melt into a deep and deliciously erotic trance.
 
 
I felt a sudden hard pressure in my chest; I could not breathe for a moment and then a freeing lightness... no pain.
 
 
 
I opened my eyes and he was back across the table. In his right hand he held an actual beating heart,  blood ran down his hand disappearing into his sleeve.  With his left he deftly reached under the table and pulled out what seemed to be a large old tarnished silver scale. It was comprised of a nude woman holding in her hands a bar, equal scales on both sides. Although tarnished, it shone in the moonlight as he looked up and smiled reassuringly, I smiled back strangely complacent. 
 
 
The men at the table watch with mild interest as my heart was placed on one side of the scale and on the other he began to pile gold coins.  Far too many gold coins for a small heart to weigh against but it took at least 300 to tip the scale against the bloody organ. When he was satisfied that the scales were even, he scooped up the coins and  placed them before me, then wrapped my heart in some kind of white gauze and slipped it into a large pocket on the inside of his suit. "I'll keep it safe here" he said “I am sure you will win it back and much more"
 
 
I stared at him for a moment suddenly overcome with a wave of unbridled emotion for this man.  I said the only words that began to run through my mind as I watched him start to shuffle his cards.  "I love you" I said simply.  He chuckled softly "Of course you do" he said "I have your heart” Now let’s play.  
 
 
"Now, this is the usual game of blackjack that you are used to I am sure, but out of the goodness of my heart or rather hearts I should say" and here he laughed again softly, "I have left the joker in the deck and it is wild." 
 
 
I watched the others place coins on the table, put 5 down and took another drink of the wine. so intoxicating and  ambrosial.  He dealt to the others and then me. The cards were larger than a standard deck, thicker and looked hand painted.
 
 
The first card I was dealt was a queen of hearts, the picture on the front depicted a brunette woman in a crown and white dress.  A large red stain one the front of her dress surrounding the gaping hole in her chest and on each corner was painted a small replica of the missing, bloody, purplish blue organ.
 
 
The second card I received was a 2 of spades but on this card was depicted what was obviously a slave, clothes torn, tied to and facing to an olive tree ... his back slashed with fresh welts There were olive groves in the background under a blue sky and in front of the slave was a man wearing a wig in colonial dress and holding a whip.
 
 
"Hit me" I said ... having played blackjack many times before, not in these circumstances though.
 
 
Even though the others were unconventional to say the least, the illustration on third card startled me even in my stupor.  It was a blue banner with the words (THE JOKER) painted across the top and underneath was a picture of Jesus Christ the kind that was on my grandma’s bible as a child. The classic picture with kind sad eyes, long hair, blue robes and the sacred heart of Jude burning on his chest.
 
 
"And the lady wins" the dealer smiled pushing 5 coins my way. "These are some politically incorrect cards you have here" I remarked, slurring slightly and giggling for no reason other than the fact that I felt like I was in some insane and fascinating dream.
 
 
I remember that we played all night under luminescent moon and for most of the night; it seemed as if I could not lose.  My pile of coins grew I became happier, steadily more intoxicated and infatuated with the dealer.
 
 
The ace of diamonds kept showing up with pictures of the white jewels painted on each corner along with the queen of hearts often together.
 
 
 
Suddenly after we had played for what felt like at least eight hours I felt a surge of euphoric recklessness.  I shoved my entire pile of coins toward him. "I want to be all in for the next hand I told him". He raised one eyebrow questioningly.... "Are you sure?" I faltered slightly for one (almost sober) moment, remembering what I had wagered but then suddenly not caring.  That overwhelming feeling of love and excitement still was coursing through my body as he watched me weigh it in my mind. YES!
 
 
 
 
The others forgotten, I watched him hand out my cards.  First card was the queen of hearts.  The dealer dealt himself an ace.  The picture on the ace was a single olive tree painted under a full moon. "Hit me" I said. The second was a 5 of diamonds white prismatic jewels on each corner seeming to flash iridescently. "Hit me again" I said then held my breath. The 3rd card dealt was a 7 of spades.  My beautiful dealer looked at me shaking his head sadly "I'm sorry"
 
 
 
That was the last thing I remember.
 
 
I woke up again this morning sprawled on the old couch outside my patio. My dress was filthy and I was barefoot. I barely noticed as all I could think about was him. Every time I close my eyes I see his face, I've I felt a longing for that smile again, his voice, his scent. Emptiness filled my chest as finally I began to feel the pain of loss. 
 
 
 
I am leaving now to search through every olive grove in the valley. I will search for him for the rest of my life if I have to, just to see him once more. Maybe I have something left to give, to wager so that I can win back what I've lost.  And then again, maybe I don't. It doesn’t matter anymore.  I have no choice. After all, I love him...of course I do… he has my heart.

© 2009 Donna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Woah again I am captivated by your story telling... it was creative and entertaining and has a great message intwined in there. I am becoming a very fan of your stories.

Posted 14 Years Ago


You have a very vivid imagination and the prose to match. Striking imagery. Erotic and intriguing and very gripping from beginning to end. Very well done. I loved it.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 25, 2009

Author

Donna
Donna

Palm Desert, CA



About
Hardworking, Extroverted Introvert, Irreverent, Analytical, Undomesticated, Introspective, Optimistic, Occasionally Moody, Uninhibited, Selectively Close, Gregarious, Loveable,Audacious, Multifaceted .. more..

Writing
[untitled] [untitled]

A Story by Donna


17 Questions 17 Questions

A Poem by Donna



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..