We All Make Mistakes

We All Make Mistakes

A Poem by Donna
"

This is about mistakes I made in my life and how I changed for the better.

"
I do admit that I have made mistakes in my life, we all do, that's how we learn.
It took me awhile, but I did learn, and I am the person I am today because of it.

I believe that we have to pay for our mistakes, and I did pay for mine. I did some time in jail, I got help, and I turned my life around.
From all that I did wrong, I learned so much. I guess I needed these things to happen to make me the strong woman I am today.

Even though this happens many years ago, I will always be labeled, "Bad." When my niece was 15, she told me that she told her friends about me, and they think I am cool.
The life I was living was not cool, but the kids and there music, makes it sound cool.

I am not a bad person, I just made some mistakes and I paid for them. I am not that person any more. I have grown and learned and my life is wonderful now.

Don't judge a book by its cover!

© 2018 Donna


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

We all make mistakes Donna, the point is to learn from them and move on. I don't like labels either. If someone has paid their debt to society for their errors, then why should they continue to be punished afterwards?

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Quite a story, quite a morale and a heck of a lot more in only a short tale - poem. The ease of wyat you've put and how you put it, is almost deceptive... you written a tome in a few mere words. ' I just made some mistakes .. '

Donna I've never yet come across a saint and quite honestly - apart from the true and trusted ones of long times past -, don't think i could stand their platituteds and such. There's something colourless about a person who's never committed whatever's considered a sin. As to a past that's throws up mideanours, to walk a straight path having fallen off the kerb, is heroic. Being self aint so bad, warts and all. Hug and nod, dear you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Well, either way turn other people's ignorance or ill-will of your situation that now remains in the past and turn it into something positive. You are strong, and now the battle that lies ahead is in what others thing of you and how you will continue despite their oppinions of you because no one - no one - knows you better than yourself. Stay strong, you've earned it.

Also, it's kind of funny how when I actually read books I never so much as glanced at the cover (just checked the tag to make sure it wasn't teen romance - ugh) and instead dove straight into their story. I read from beginning to end, non-stop, no matter how much my heart hurt, and when I finished I thought over what they went to and then I put the book back where it was and either started writing something in inspiration of the story I just read or started on another book.

I've not ever considered judging a book by its cover and when it comes to people it is the same. When people have been belitted by people around me I ignore what they saw and instead approach them and show kindness even at the face of aggression because I don't know them, and won't judge anyone by the chapter I walked in, and instead be honest and kind (which sounds weird but its true) and I'm not necessarily a good person myself, I've done terrible things in the past despite having been through terrible things before. I know plenty of people who have made mistakes, feel like bad people and have admitted as such but if we put ourselves on how society views us we will never be free and true. I heard a story, true one, how a criminal fell in love with a woman who knew the life he lived and loved him and stood by his side regardless of how the rest of society saw him and they had a daughter before the wife died in childbirth. How the father refused to bring his daughter into the life he leads yet taught her how to protect herself, taught her from a young age and she was brilliant as she was surprisingly wise. Her father once admitted to her how "I'm a bad person" and yet she said no, you're my father and you always come home at the end of the day, you remember my favorite dishes and you let me pick the flowers to bring to mama's grave. You make me breakfast and let me help and you've always been there for me. You're my father and I love you. This girl was no older than six and her father cried as he held her. He loved her despite what he was because she saw him for who he was TO Her. How his heart was good regardless of the lifestyle he was forced into. And eventually she was taken away from him and yet she never stopped loving him and he never stopped supporting her. He could never stay by her side physically but he made sure she was happy and that was enough.

So, what society thinks of you doesn't matter. What people who don't know you doesn't matter. What matters is the people who love you even after everything they've seen or heard about you, they have faced both the good and bad yet love you regardless. Truly love and stand by the side with. These are the people you can count on, the people we should try our best to not let go, because they have seen the strength we wield despite the things we've done and the hardship we've faced and they don't put you down for it.

*breathes out* my bad, I went all out on a speech there. Thank you for sharing this, no lies. I've said it in your extension of this but I'll say it again; stay strong, you've earned it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I felt like my fingernails were digging into the table as I read. I don’t like overly embellished writing, but this time I wish there could’ve been a little more revelation & specificity. It feels like you’re discussing something behind a curtain & we aren’t allowed to know anything about it, yet we are hopefully going to take you at your word & believe what you say about the overall life value of these mysterious experiences. This feels more like “TELL” than “SHOW”. I understand if you don’t want to spill the specific beans of these tough stretches in your life. But there could be a few tidbits offered to help us get a general feel for whether you’re talking about financial issues or relationship issues or whatever. The mind-boggling emptiness of your words is distracting from your overall message, for me. An explanation could be abstract, if you don’t want to spell things all the way out. You could say something like “money and me weren’t travelling on the same road” . . . or “I guess I didn’t get the manual that explains how courtship (or marriage) goes. This way it doesn’t feel iike you’re talking all the way around a thing, not really sharing anything, & assuming your reader will feel the significance this had in one’s life. In short, it’s just a little too sketchy to truly touch my deeper levels of understanding & empathy. The outlines of the story & the actual writing is well done (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I wrote a part 2 just for you. I appreciate your help!
Life is for learning. The wise people can look at themselves and find the determination to change. Although I never did drugs or drink that much as a kid, I was pretty wild. Now when I look back, I can't understand what I was thinking.

A good story, Donna. I'm glad you found a better life from your mistakes.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you Relic! 😉
It's true we all make mistakes. And hopefully we learn from them. There are many ways to avoid making big or many mistakes, observing other people and their mistakes. Also being well read ,learning from family members. A healthy fear of ruining your life. Choosing friends that are stable and have productive goals.
I remember people asking me 'do you think your better than me 'I answer 'No, but I have made better choices' Acquire knowledge,wisdom and understanding, apply what you have learned in life. Other people will still say, ' you think your better than me ' But it's YOUR LIFE that will be better.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

You are exactly right! Thank you for the nice review!
Terry L & Linda L Shuff

5 Years Ago

Learning from mistakes that could have been avoided is and really can be a life savor. Postponing wi.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
If there's no mistake existing no lesson is there to be learnt...then we may stay unknown of some experiences which can change lifes extraordinarily along with others life....
And that one has got zillion number of guts to admit the mistakes that's done by him or herself
Now that you learn from them that's your infinity guts..Bravo Donna😊

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you my friend! Always appreciate your reviews!
¿

5 Years Ago

You're always welcomed!💞
I always tell my children and grandchildren that all is not lost when they make a mistake because life is a learning curve and sometimes we fall but if we learn how to get up and not make the same mistake then it wasn't all in vain.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Yes, we all make mistakes, and its ok as long as we learn and don't make them again! Thank you Stell.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2018
Last Updated on June 6, 2018

Author

Donna
Donna

San Jose, CA



About
Hi, I am Donna from San Jose California. I enjoy reading and writing. If you do stop by and take the time to read some of my poems/Stories, please leave a review or comment. I would appreciate it, a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Joy Joy

A Poem by H L Rose