The Mailbox

The Mailbox

A Story by Donna

After a long work week, Dennis decided he needed a vacation, he had been working long hours at his law firm and he was getting run down.


Dennis Albert Wallace is a 42 year old man, who is a very successful attorney, he is single, but just got out of a bad relationship.


He wasn't sure where he would go on his vacation, so he would just drive and see where it takes him. He left Arizona and drove for hours and hours with only stopping twice for gas and to use the bathroom, and some coffee.


The next sign he saw said, "Welcome to Texas." he kept driving and ended up in the middle of nowhere, but it looked so familiar to him, but it couldn't because he has never been to Texas. He felt as if he knew where to go, so he went with it. He turned down a street and he saw a small house up ahead, he slowed down and had a strange feeling. The mailbox at the small house read, "Dennis A. Wallace."


Dennis was shocked, he thought he was going crazy. He had to check it out and see what was up. He went to the door and knocked, a old woman opened the door, "Hello, what can I do for you sir?" Dennis said to the old lady, "I'm sorry to bother you, but the name on your mailbox.." The old lady stopped him. "That was my late husband. He was 43 when he had a heart attack and died. I told him to not work so hard, but he didn't listen. I have lived here ever since, all alone."


Dennis asked her what her late husbands middle name was, she told him, "Albert." Dennis didn't know what to say. He took out his drivers license and showed her the name. The old lady was surprised. Dennis said, "I am sorry, I didn't even ask you your name?" She said, "Cindy, Cindy Wallace."


Dennis hugged her goodbye and left. He headed back towards home. He thought about Cindy and her late husband all the way home. He got home very late and was so tired, he went to sleep.


In the morning, Dennis got ready and left for work. He went straight to his office and then a woman walked in. The most beautiful woman he ever saw. "Hi, I am your new assistant, Cindy."


A year later, Dennis & Cindy got married, they were so happy, but Cindy didn't like that Dennis worked so many hours and so hard. She told him," this is going to kill you!"


Today Dennis turns 43, he wanted to work, so he worked till midnight, he got up to leave and fell to the floor, he had a heart attack and died.


Cindy lived in there house with the mailbox that read, "Dennis A. Wallace." all alone for the rest of her life.

© 2018 Donna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aww poor Cindy!! Loved this story!!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you for reading it Rebecca!
Rebecca J Martin

5 Years Ago

you're very welcome :)
Rod Stirling wold be vey proud of your unique story - good easy read - well written! :-)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Wow! I appreciate that! 😀
Being the Twilight Zone is my favorite show, this was really nice to read. The signs were all there for Mr. Wallace but he didn't follow them. A lesson to be learned.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you Relic, glad you liked it. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.
Relic

5 Years Ago

Any time, Donna.
Nice story, short and holds your attention so well donr, very imaginative and i really enjoyed. I just wished he had listened to the old lady...🙂

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your nice review. I wish he listened to her too.
cool. I enjoyed this write. Nice imagery and descriptiveness.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
talking about deja vu but in the future context but then it is a lesson learned we need to take time to relax and enjoy simple pleasures in life

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

You got it exactly right! Thanks for reading my story Sette.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
That's like....all done by the horoscope like!
His fate matching with the mail box house owner and like....something repeats in the world!
Great read Donna😊

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you Tahsin for you always wonderful review!☺
¿

5 Years Ago

Wc😊....!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

380 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 11, 2018
Last Updated on June 11, 2018

Author

Donna
Donna

San Jose, CA



About
Hi, I am Donna from San Jose California. I enjoy reading and writing. If you do stop by and take the time to read some of my poems/Stories, please leave a review or comment. I would appreciate it, a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Stop Hating! Stop Hating!

A Poem by Donna


The Calm The Calm

A Poem by B