The Sentence-Clarifying Hyphen

The Sentence-Clarifying Hyphen

A Poem by Emily
"

Inspired by Pico Iyer's "In Praise of the Humble Comma," here is an ode to the Hyphen

"

The use of the hyphen is surprisingly hush-hush in many academic circles. It has the second-rate reputation of being useful only to absent-minded students and worn-out professors. in fact, the very opposite is true!

 

Numerous times, the individuals with strong wills have petitioned the teachers who have bodies that are able to completely remove this symbol that has been worn out (On another note, they would refuse to be called "strong-willed," call the teachers "able-bodied," or admit that the "worn-out" hyphen needed removal). Well, I say that any teachers that re-sign that petition should resign from their posts!

 

There are others who accuse hyphens of dumbing down words to a child-like simplicity. However, this reputation is unfairly given because empty-headed people have carelessly abused the hyphen by inserting it where it has no place.

 

Therefore, this far-flung conclusion is not warranted. Hyphens, when used correctly, are forerunners of clarity. Only well-to-do, narrow-minded know-hows lack the follow-through to notice the difference between a forest with five-hundred-year-old trees, five hundred-year-old trees, and five hundred year-old trees.

 

Cynical anti-hyphen proponents want to reform English grammar... or do they mean re-form? 

© 2012 Emily


Author's Note

Emily
This is meant to be a fun play on words- enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tex
very nice. I recommend you use the edit feature to undo some of the line breaks. For some reason
some of your lines look like this one. with a strange break in the middle of it.

that said...this is a smart and clever write. i thoroughly enjoyed it. well done again... I am becoming an Emily fan...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Emily

11 Years Ago

Thank you for catching that! This piece was originally hand-written and I had purposefully written m.. read more
Tex

11 Years Ago

:-)



Reviews

This put a smirk on my face. I think this is the best argument I have ever seen. You do the hyphen proud.

- Guilt

Posted 11 Years Ago


i think they mean re-form.

the language is so abused any-more what used to be right no-longer is and what used to be right is now-acceptable.
such a mess we have made of every-thing semantically.

Being an English teacher, i really appreciated this poem---very-much.

and your use of hypens in it...

thanks for the smile.

jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago


lol, I love this, made me smile and I'm a re-formed Emily fan :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


This had me smiling all the way. I love your manipulation of language and your vocabulary here, very straight-forward like all this is fact.
It's smart and funny!


Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Makes me rather self conscious...
There-fore, hence-thus I will just compliment you lavishly on a funny and intelligent write - hoping you don't notice any empty-headed hyphen abuse going on here ..


Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily

11 Years Ago

Haha! I see what you did there.... ;)
Thank you for your hilarious review! I'm glad that you .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tex
very nice. I recommend you use the edit feature to undo some of the line breaks. For some reason
some of your lines look like this one. with a strange break in the middle of it.

that said...this is a smart and clever write. i thoroughly enjoyed it. well done again... I am becoming an Emily fan...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Emily

11 Years Ago

Thank you for catching that! This piece was originally hand-written and I had purposefully written m.. read more
Tex

11 Years Ago

:-)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 15, 2012
Last Updated on December 15, 2012
Tags: hyphen, -, pico, iyer, comma, funny, light, hearted, playonwords

Author

Emily
Emily

WA



About
"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world." -C.S Lewis I find that I am able to express.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


did you? did you?

A Poem by quinfinn