A trip to the zoo

A trip to the zoo

A by Ali M. Abougazia
"

Notes on Cairo zoo

"

It has been years since I've been to the zoo. I remember how I used to be so happy whenever I knew I'm going to the zoo when I was a kid. I guess I haven't lost that yet.
I have just been to the zoo, and I have to say it was a very special day, for more than one reason. The official aim of the trip was to take a look at the zoo before it gets worse, for our zoo is threatened. I won't talk about the policy of the responsible governmental institutions, that will be discussed thoroughly by other members. I'll merely recite the human experience.

I arrived abit late than the group, 1st look at the zoo wasn't very encouraging, it looked too old, too tired and too unattended. When you go in you'll get the feeling that this is a place which has no supervisor. Only animal keepers are there and guys at the gates. All restaurants are closed, and even the tea island, which was very weird. But a very good thing is that you find water fountains at every turn, which was cool especially at this hot day.

Funny signs are all over the place, no seriously they were funny. But they show all you need to know about directions. And I guess they did what they were intended to do, they clearly told the people not to play with the ball, not to irritate the animals, follow this to reach the giraffe (there are no more giraffes in the zoo by the way) and so on.. I just wish there would have been some kinda security to make sure these rules are being followed.

Every problem I have seen there is mainly due to management and financial problems. And by management I don't mean the direct officials or directors or Vets who were there in the zoo. I mean real management, real people responsible for every negative aspect in our beloved Egypt.

The animals were the same I remember, I won't deny there is some sadness about them, but I guess that's how it's with all animals in captivity. I mean I don't think the animals in NY Zoo are happier than ours while they are in captivity. Even if the animals in NY zoo receive top medical care, best foods, mineral water, fruit salads on breakfast and they take national holidays, it makes no difference, an animal in captivity will always be less happy than that in the wild, even if it was in less danger. Will you be happier if you were prisoner for all your life in the Ritz hotel than if you are free?
But this doesn't mean I suspect they do receive much of the appropriate care they deserve. But most of this is due to financial problems. And you can't give the animals any appropriate care when you don't even provide that for humans.

The Keepers looked very poor, but they were so loyal and devoted to their animals. You will notice how they dealt with the animals as if with their friends; they call them "him" and "her" not "it". They defend their actions and reason it. You might find the keeper explaining to you why the gazelle is doing this, or why the seal is doing that. And you can easily see that they have some old friendship, and they talk with affection.
The keepers also were very cooperatives. They would bring you the animal closer so that you can see it better. They cared that you be entertained, and the animal remains safe. I think I do admire these guys, however poor and helpless they are, they seemed content and maybe even happy.

The people, as my friend says, are the heart and soul of the place. You must know that the Zoo is actually a place for the poor to be entertained. The ticket is 1 LE, you don't spend much in there. It's an immense joy for the people who can't afford the ticket to wonderland, or the oneday trip to Alex, or even the 30 LE ticket for a movie. But this hasn't prevented them from being as happy as they can. They didn't keep whining about how unfair life is. They just went to this place and had fun. Faces were so joyful, kids were running everywhere with their colored faces and playing with balls (to hell with laws, magatshy 3ala dee :D), men and women looked so childish, they didn't act experienced and as if they knew it all. They all let go and became kids again. And you could see they invented their small funny stuff, like painting on faces. And the most strong feeling you get there is pure happiness. Let me put it this way, I was much happier there than in some pretty fancy resorts. I daresay it was a pure human state, some simple happy oasis in the middle of our expensive costly life.

Check the gallery from the trip:
bum.php?aid=58844&id=546041182

© 2008 Ali M. Abougazia


Author's Note

Ali M. Abougazia
Peace be with you :)
I am a believing practicing Muslim Egyptian Doctor. But I hate it when this always sound like an extremist. I am not, neither does my religion. In another article of mine I am trying to explain more. I hope I can by time change the world's wrong idea about Islam being a violent religion. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hello Ali,I read your story and I really enjoyed it.I will endevour to read more of your work over the next few days.
Take care

Bob

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 11, 2008

Author

Ali M. Abougazia
Ali M. Abougazia

Cairo, Egypt, Egypt



About
Peace be upon you :) I am not much of a writer but writing is a good way to express one's self. And it's more of a hobby to me than of a talent. I am a believing practicing Muslim Egyptian Doctor. B.. more..

Writing