Yamoris

Yamoris

A Story by Jason Damstra
"

A scene from a short story I may choose to develop, recently inspired by Studio Ghiblis "Spirited Away".

"

Yamoris General Goods” were picked out in silver leaf above the ornate door, Shen hurriedly jostled me inside off the thronging street. The interior was filled with a red curling incense, overwhelmingly spicy and sweet.

Yamori, where are you?” Shen called into the hazy room. The place was crowded and cramped; shelves stacked high with dried herbs, rocks, small figures and other strange curious lined the walls, bulging bags, small copper boxes and gilded cages littered the floor; I could hardly breath amongst so much clutter. The muted hustle of the street outside flitted through the lavish door that now separated us, while inside strange throats cackled and cawed in their exotic cages, purring and cajoling things with many eyes stared at us through golden bars.

A small antique table stood on the wall furthest from us, something glittered. As I neared I couldn't help but gasp: A large bowl sat at the tables center, filled to the brim with coins. Hundreds of shiny golden discs poured out of the bowl, flowing over the table. They seemed to glow brightly in the musky gloom of the shop. As I stood entranced by the sight in the faintly swirling light a lyrical, chirping voice piped out “I see you admire the gold.” The melodious voice seemed to come from above, looking up into the dark rafters of the small store I became aware of two reptilian eyes in the gloom, their wide slitted pupils staring directly at me.

Those eyes were beautiful, a piercing yellow flecked with warm amber and rusty reds cut through the haze like lamps. As I stared I could just make out a figure clad in a sumptuous red robe. It appeared to be hanging on the underside of the rafter, its voluminous silken dress flowing down about it. "At least someone is, such a cheap item, it really clutters up the place." said the piping voice dismissively.

"Yamori, we're not here for your gold" said Shen "Are you sure about that? I see the way your friend is eying it. Tell me, friend of Shen, would you like this gold?” A long sinuous tail swung down and wrapped itself around the bowl, spilling much of its contents, it brought the bowl to my face. The contents luster burned in the haze; it was as though the shimmering gold tangibly warmed the air around me, comforting, bright, it was so beautiful - I felt as though all else in the world was meaningless save this - this glowing bounty of riches... I reached out just as Yamori lifted it out of my grasp. “Now now, look but don’t touch” hissed the sweet voice Tell you what, I'll give it to you at a bargain price... It'll only cost... Oh... Three memories should we say? They don't even have to be yours."

"Enough Yamori! We're here to find a way to get back to the Human World." "What?!" Cried the lyrical voice indignantly. "You! One of the few who can walk freely between the two, you come to me to find a way to leave? Stop wasting my time!" "It's not for me" said Shen through clenched teeth, "It's for her."

"Could it be? A human... In my shop. I thought something smelt a little off." A clawed hand, covered in scales, yet warm, and silken soft to the touch brushed my cheek. "She certainly is delicious... Are you sure you don't want to sell her? I could give you a fair price" Yamoris golden eyes sparkled with entrepreneurial enthusiasm. You know what I want. said Shen flatly...

Yamori let out a hissing sigh, “Fine...”

© 2016 Jason Damstra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on October 11, 2015
Last Updated on August 17, 2016
Tags: scrap, short story, concept

Author

Jason Damstra
Jason Damstra

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa



About
A chaotically diverse individual who mainly enjoys fantasy, fiction and cosmic horror to the extreme. more..

Writing