Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by DragonEnthusiast
"

This is only the first version, so it might be crappy!

"

      The sunlight filtering throught the forest canopy turned the ground a light green. Birds in their hidden perches wove their songs in the air to create a false sense of security. The small clearing had a large, moss-covered stump in the middle of it, and next to it, two dragons.

      The larger male was a crimson red with wings like bloody sails, and his enormous head had white frills along the jaw. Large rams' horns curled outward from his head, giving him a barbarish look. Three curved claws ended at each foot, gouging the soft earth, and his long tail curled around his body in a perfect circle. His mate was a long purple dragon with no wings at all. Her body was covered in thick periwinkle fur, and she had a mane of dark purple encircling her dog-like head. Large yellow antlers grew from her head, and a spray of whiskers sprouted from the tip of her snout. Oval scales started at the base of her throat and travelled along her belly to the end of her furry tail.

      Both were laying down, resting from their day of hard flying. A small black dragonlet squirmed from between his mother's legs, mewling to get away and explore.

      "Alright Rannin, you can come out" the female whispered warmly to him. She lifted one of her forelegs and allowed him to escape and watched as he beelined it for the stump.

      "Razor Wings, do you think we got away? Do you think the Claw are still after us?" asked the female in the gutteral dragon language.

      "I'm positive that we're safe. We flew for three days straight. No one could have followed us that long, not even an elite gtoup like the Claw." the red dragon whispered back. He still looked up at the sky, just to make sure.

      The couple sat for a few minutes watching their hatchling play on the stump and rip up moss. Suddenly Razor Wings stood, staring at the blue sky with fear in his eyes. A brown smudge was plumetting towards the ground at startling speed, quickly gaining shape.

      "Velia, hide Rannin! There's no time to run! The Claw are here!" Velia grabbed Rannin and shoved him into the deepest recesses of the stump as she could.

      "Stay here!" she ordered, and turned to see a large mud-colored dragon attacking her mate.

      He had thick scales that protected his hide, and long spikes along his back. He jumped on Razor Wing, trying to get a hold of his throat and tear it out. Razor Wings grappled with his opponent and managed to pin him to the groung with long fingers on the tips of his wings. He then bit down on the struggling dragon's neck, careful not to get his eye poked out by a spike. With a twist of his head, Razor Wings snapped the neck of the brown dragon and heard a bellow of pain to his left.

      A large blue female dragon had attacked Velia during his fight and was tearing at her face with her long claws. Velia struck back, but was no match for the other's strength. Razor Wings tried to help, but he tripped over the brown dragon's corpse and fell to the blood soaked ground. He watched helplessly as his mate was bitten viciously in the jugular and her hot blood splashed his face.

      Roaring in victory, the blue female dropped the dying Velia from her grip and turned to Razor Wings. Before he could stand up, she leaped at him and landed on his back. He rolled to his right and pinned her to the ground. She shrieked in pain as one of his horns struck her in the chin, knocking it out of place. She pushed him away and jumped to her feet, swiping at his exposed belly. Long scratches were plowed on his soft underscales, and Razor Wings bellowed in shock. Before he could recover, the sky-blue female raked her talons along his throat, watching his life quickly drain from beneath them.

      Looking behind her, the female saw that the purple dragon was still dying. 

     'Good' she thought 'die as slowly as you can. You deserve such pain for defying the Dragon Council!'

      Knowing that she had to report her enemies defeat, she lifted off the ground with a strong stroke of her wide translucent wings, careful of her broken jaw.

      As the dust and leaves settled, Velia's wheezing became audible. "Rannin...Rannin..." she rasped.

      Her son crawled out from inside the now bloodied stump and stared at his dying mother and already dead father. With an anguished mewl he ran to her, pressing his small face to her mane.

      "Rannin..." she whispered with a gurgle and sighed. With that last breath, Velia passed into the void, leaving her son to the mercy of the cruel world.

      He backed away from her lifeless body, wailing in loss and confusion. Instinctively, he knew that there was nothing he could do, and ran into the lonely forest.



© 2011 DragonEnthusiast


Author's Note

DragonEnthusiast
Yes, I know. This is very short and bloody, but important to the overall story! How did I do? Did you guys like it or not? What kind of gramatical errors did I make? Is this worth reading? Did I do anything good? Please answer at least one of these question, I would appreciate it :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I LOVE IT! Much better than what I would do. I actually got into it! I'd actually take time to read this! :D *take this as a compliment* haha

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 30, 2011
Last Updated on December 5, 2011


Author

DragonEnthusiast
DragonEnthusiast

Springfield, OR



About
I love writing stories, even if they aren't any good and no one will ever read them. My othere hobbies include drawing, painting, walking around taking pictures of stuff, and occasionally practicing t.. more..

Writing