Opening Statement

Opening Statement

A Story by Dressed in Poetry
"

You may ignore this. I am merely making certain that my project for school makes it to school.

"

 

Opening Statement
            Honorable Judge Chapman-Roach, we intend to prove that our client, Creon, was well within his kingly rights and duties to make the decree denying the traitor and exile Polynieces a burial, and was also within his duties to create a punishment for the violation of this decree. Antigone, who, we will prove, consciously violated this law and knew the punishment, is a criminal, and so deserves a criminal’s punishment. Polynieces was a traitor to his own homeland, and this man did not deserve burial. Creon’s law voiced this and that voice should have been heeded. We intend to prove that Creon is a just and rightful king whose laws should have been obeyed, not broken. Laws are set forth for a reason, and we will show that without laws, a society becomes disordered and chaotic, ultimately collapsing upon itself from the total anarchy.
            Our first witness is Creon himself, who will explain why the law and his judgment were made and why both are just. He will also clarify upon the damage done to the city, which is loved and protected by the gods, the number of innocent, god-fearing people slaughtered in Polynieces’ attack. Next, we have brought forth Eteocles, who will paint a picture of his brother’s actions and explain why Creon’s law was just and should have been followed. He will prove that Polynieces was only helping himself, and that his pride and selfishness is looked down upon by the gods, not praised by them. He will impart upon this court the necessary burial rights of both a good, righteous man and the burial rights, or lack thereof, of an exile. Finally, we have the guard who brought Antigone to the king, who will explain why obeying all laws set forth by the government is necessary for the survival of any society. All three witnesses have been called to testify upon the state of mind Antigone possessed at the time she broke the law and buried Polynieces.
We hope that you listen to all three with open ears, and without further ado, we will proceed in this case.

© 2008 Dressed in Poetry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on February 18, 2008

Author

Dressed in Poetry
Dressed in Poetry

Norman, OK



About
Je m'appelle Lauren. I'm very dramatic. Other random things about me: - I have a passionate love for all things ironic. - 80% of what I say is sarcastic. - I like big words. They are fun. - I .. more..

Writing