Closing Statement

Closing Statement

A Story by Dressed in Poetry
"

You may ignore this. I am merely making certain that my project for school makes it to school.

"

 

Closing Statement.
            In conclusion, Honorable Judge Chapman-Roach, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, we have shown that Creon, the rightful king, was well within his rights and duties to declare a decree such as this. He made a law, and it should have been followed, for there is no room for discord and chaos within any society, lest we want anarchy and chaos to overtake the city. Antigone consciously broke this law and created chaos. Creon, in an attempt to have Thebes from the chaos that Antigone has caused and the threat of anarchy, carried out the punishment stated within the decree. We are sure that we are not out of line by suggesting that since Antigone knew the punishment was death, Creon was well within his rights to make this law, the law was a just one, and others obeyed and followed the law and the king who made it, Antigone cannot have a justifiable and permissible plea against her punishment. We employ you to see the reason behind this law, for an exile who returns to a city loved and protected by the gods only to destroy lives, families, and society is surely no longer within the gods’ protection. As you consider your verdict, remember the valiant, good men slain when Polynieces attacked. Keep in mind the beautiful land you call your home, enflamed when Polynieces’ greed overtook his mind and drove him to destruction. Recollect the families who now have to start anew, attempting to take away from the slaughter some sense of sanity. Bear all of this in your mind, and we are certain you will understand that Creon is innocent of any crime.

© 2008 Dressed in Poetry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on February 18, 2008

Author

Dressed in Poetry
Dressed in Poetry

Norman, OK



About
Je m'appelle Lauren. I'm very dramatic. Other random things about me: - I have a passionate love for all things ironic. - 80% of what I say is sarcastic. - I like big words. They are fun. - I .. more..

Writing