Lesser of Two Evils

Lesser of Two Evils

A Story by Dressed in Poetry
"

A short story written in about 10 minutes.

"

 

She was laid carefully upon the bed, the numerous pillows guarding her fragile body. He sighed and rubbed his temples as he drew up a rickety chair and faced her. He had always dreamed of being a doctor – saving lives and knowing that he made a difference – but he never thought of the evils like this. To tell someone that they were dying – to see their eyes dim and the hope go out – it was sadness he never got over.
Carefully, he touched her hand as he told her the news. She nodded once, glanced away, then returned to face him with a determined look. “Can you just give me something – so that I die now?” she asked faintly.
He was shocked. “But – why?” he gasped.
She smiled joylessly. “I’ve known in my heart for a while that this is the end. My family… they are poor and cannot afford to keep me here just to die, and they can’t afford to keep me at home either. I’m merely the burden no one can bear. And… I’m weak. My body aches, and I get no joy out of lying in a bed day after day.”
The doctor sighed. “I can’t. They illegalized the practice,” he said, knowing that he would never do such a thing in any circumstance, illegal or not. Morally, he could not force himself to make such a choice.
“I can be sure that none of my family will pursue this,” she said desperately, “It can be claimed an accident – no one will suspect the truth.” Seeing the hesitation in him, she added imploringly, “Please. For me.”
He shook his head quickly and left the room. It was no choice – to kill a woman was unthinkable. He had to allow her to see her family in her last few days. In any case, it was a crime. Still… a part of him knew that it was just as wrong to allow that woman to suffer and her family to be thrust further into debt. It really was no choice.
Later that night, a steady line was traced across a screen as the needle was removed from the tender flesh.

© 2008 Dressed in Poetry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

okay, funny story: i actually started to write mine about this same topic, but then i decided to just finish my story from the day before. anyways, i loved this too! it was fantastico. moy fantastico. I think it's a very interesting moral question, that makes for very good stories and debates. looooooooove it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

okay, funny story: i actually started to write mine about this same topic, but then i decided to just finish my story from the day before. anyways, i loved this too! it was fantastico. moy fantastico. I think it's a very interesting moral question, that makes for very good stories and debates. looooooooove it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
1 Review
Added on April 17, 2008

Author

Dressed in Poetry
Dressed in Poetry

Norman, OK



About
Je m'appelle Lauren. I'm very dramatic. Other random things about me: - I have a passionate love for all things ironic. - 80% of what I say is sarcastic. - I like big words. They are fun. - I .. more..

Writing