Grandmother's Song

Grandmother's Song

A Poem by David Scott
"

I received this healing gift from an individual aspiring to "carry the pipe".

"
Grandmother's Song

Morning comes softly,
beating drums resonate,
tonally balance new light of day.

Triad grouped music,
resolute steadiness,
readiness stomping a sure pathway.

Diminished notes fade
discorded settling,
tom-tom's gift fading in gently play.

A doorway opens,
accepting tomorrow,
One last rise, one last fall, leads the way.


© 2014 David Scott


Author's Note

 David Scott
A beautiful healer sang this Cherokee song for me. I do not know what the words meant, but this is what I felt. Thank you for reading. I will listen to our Native Tribal Music with a new respect. This music is spiritual complexity delivered in the most simplistic medium.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have never been exposed to Cherokee, but I imagine it is similar to the native music and language in Canada, and this is a beautiful piece to go with it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

I like how tribal people hold onto their histories and traditions. Modern society could learn a gre.. read more
Ah Pasta Man this is lovely.

I really loved this one.

It reads as a beautiful song. :-)) Very lyrical.

I loved it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you Sye.
The moment was special.
Certainly I have no idea of the song, but that it is attached to a grandmother offers antiquity and grace and delicate affection. Passing music by generations is a touching sentiment and symbolic of familial love.

Perhaps that I fancy myself an intermediate musician I held the words especially careful in my ears and mind, or perhaps of my affection for my own Cherokee grandmother I listened a little extra closely.

Thank you for sharing a song I will never hear although somehow, now I know it a little.

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Xavier.
You know the place the old ones have in Cherokee culture bet.. read more
love this one, it has takes on the entrancing rhythm of a drum and journeys you into the music of your mind.

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Great! Did you feel the triads? Only broken by the tom tom two syllable ending in the first line o.. read more
I met a real American Indian when I was studying in the States and he mesmerised me with Indian ways. This reminded me of them and is in a poem which deftly describes this world of myth, legends and mystique.

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

The American Native Tribes are vast and varied. We could learn much from them still.
Thank yo.. read more
I wonder if anyone has made a study on the neurological effects of Native American music and rhythm just as there have been studies on Baroque music affecting the brain? The music must have triggered your alpha-theta state....
Sorry, reverting back to old scientific me but I'm convinced that there is a scientific explanation behind it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you sweet one. Yes, there is scientific explanation to everything. Science and the ethereal a.. read more
There's music in words and phrases. When it rises from ancient forms there's a heartbeat, a throbbing, rather like a call to side and place. I can feel it when i read this poem - have done, four times. I have the same video playing three times on my Profile page, it has the same effect on me, it haunts me, i hear it even when I'm asleep. Maybe that's how you came to write your poem, initially gifted by someone who perhaps knew you more than you know yourself - at times.

Guess that if poets.writers can include the same heartbeat in their work then, a preciousness of discovery's been found!

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you Emma. I have just edited this a little to help the music flow better...
The ancient .. read more
their is something so incredibly spiritual and soothing about native American music and culture...

something healing in it...this poem resonates with that feeling.

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you Jacob. :)
I rewrote it this morning with better syllabic rhythm. I really had to ju.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

493 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 4, 2014
Last Updated on January 4, 2014

Author

 David Scott
David Scott

Brevard, NC



About
Much like you... Still, I can only ever be to you what you are willing to see of me. This is true of us all. May we learn to see the best in each other. I am happy to be friends with anyon.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5