Meaning

Meaning

A Poem by David Scott
"

Just a snap shot of perspective.

"

Meaning

 

Hidden,

Tucked carefully, tenderly, and neatly away,

Or, strewn about our disorderly compartments,

Dumped carelessly as discarded lumps of psychic garbage,  

Each sacred soul guards a unique cipher. 

 

A flower,

Germinated from a seemingly dead husk,

Drinking invisible nutrition,

Expanding within utter darkness,

Eventually find the light.

 

A fish,

Spawned by some accident,

A random oocyte caught in a floating fertilization,

Temperature, current, predation, defies all odds,

Swishing a compliant tail as it propels toward its fate.

 

The entirety of our natural world cries out answers in this debate.

Even beyond this blue and green sphere,

Stars are “born” and galaxies spin,

A God, our God, may in fact be speaking.

 

Humankind,

This adaptable creature of sentience,

Clay formed sculptures of seduction,

Reason, creativity, and analytical thought,

Ride the hormone driven impulses.

 

Somehow, we reach an understanding.

Ah…

This is the epiphany,

The moment of now’s meaning,

An individual’s fantasy of reality,

Ever evolving into tomorrow’s understanding.

© 2014 David Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
David...I read this 3 times, and every time I loved it more. The thing that pulls me out of the confinement of depression, is the majesty and expansiveness of wonder. There is so much space in the awe of awareness, and it keeps getting bigger. Sometimes I feel my heart will explode with joy over the simplest and yet sweetest of things, touchable things, like the devotion and acceptance in my dogs gentle eyes, or the smell of rain, or a breeze that kisses the moister on your skin, or the sound of crickets. And then I look up, and my heart feels as infinite as that. THIS, is beautiful, poetry!

Posted 8 Years Ago


 David Scott

8 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing your inspired voice with us all in your review. You are emerging from the conf.. read more
Great work. I love the duality of our humanity you made evident throughout.
We are constantly searching for answers because we are just ever so smart.
But our knowledge of this infinite universe is still perpetually shallow.


Posted 9 Years Ago


 David Scott

9 Years Ago

I have a bad habit of "overstating", but thank you for your patience. :)
Lizzie Mitchell

9 Years Ago

Your work and your comments are thought-provoking. I see no reason to change.
 David Scott

9 Years Ago

Thank you. Likewise.
Love the first two stanzas. It is amazing how things happen beyond all odds. It's the same with ppl.we overcome odds that are against us and we create magic.

Posted 9 Years Ago


 David Scott

9 Years Ago

I'm so happy to write a single line another poet can emote in their own soul. Thank you for your fee.. read more
a wondering at the way of things, the drive, the upward push, the very blossoming reflection of the dance attending our beating hearts, we are veritable 'meaning' machines come cognizant...and now to the meaning of that...

Posted 9 Years Ago


 David Scott

9 Years Ago

Thank you my dear zen master. You always have light to share as well.
Your words are confessions of life and thought... of philosophy and faith... of meanings in life, contrived, given, yielded from years of transformations. Such a blending of worlds... worlds of thought and emotion, so powerfully done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


 David Scott

9 Years Ago

Thank you Craig. Honestly, I know a poem with such a title should be dynamic and ever changing like.. read more
Oh, I simply loved it. Beautiful. It flowed so wonderfully. This world, and all it's complications, somehow you touched upon so many things. I found myself hurrying to read the next line. Thank you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


 David Scott

9 Years Ago

Thank you new friend. I am glad you found the poetry inviting to read.
I would think scientists reading this would agree with your views. The world and its components is a baffling thing to take in and digest all at once. There is so much to take in with all the complexities and nuances that go along with it all. From the fish to humans, I have always thought there was a grand design to it all made by one entity. A being so powerful he is the one thing we can read about but never fully conceptualize with our small brains. No matter how smart we human become. Great writing David.

Posted 9 Years Ago


 David Scott

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review and for your point of view here Relic. This is a topic of constant explora.. read more
This deeply pleases the science geek in me.. the imagery alone is breathtaking, but add in the meticulous effort with phrasing, flow of ideas, depth of meaning and you have magic.. wow... just wow.. miracles, meaning, beauty in life are there for those who are willing to stop, look, understand, and appreciate... the wonders in each action/reaction that make up life... the evolution, creation of the then, the now, the will be... the moment those "stars" are born... this is one of my new favorites of yours.. this is amazing writing..

Posted 9 Years Ago


 David Scott

9 Years Ago

Why thank you April... (Blushing)
I'm very glad you enjoyed this.
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

you are more than welcome, it was my pleasure David..
That was just an incredible piece David.
Let's not take things for granted and do the best we can to respect the beauty in this world.
I search for meaning and often get lost. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


 David Scott

9 Years Ago

Ha ... Now that really defeats the purpose.
Thanks for the comment and your time to read my .. read more
We are the most creative creatures on earth but we don't always use our gifts to do good in this world. Some things come to be through happenstance while others can be planned and made into reality. This is a beautiful piece of writing that leaves the reading contemplating his or her place in the expanse of it all.

Posted 9 Years Ago


 David Scott

9 Years Ago

Hey Blue! :). Good to hear from you.
Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your thou.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1074 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 8, 2014
Last Updated on October 2, 2014

Author

 David Scott
David Scott

Brevard, NC



About
Much like you... Still, I can only ever be to you what you are willing to see of me. This is true of us all. May we learn to see the best in each other. I am happy to be friends with anyon.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil