new-school ee cummings

new-school ee cummings

A Poem by Breezie Kae

Oh what an age for poetry -

what wise words these kids spit out.

Back up, Gwendolyn,

we don’t need Bob Dylan,

when we have artists like

Ke$ha and T-Pain.

Let’s pay tribute to Miley Cyrus,

that “chick rockin’ kicks,”

or we could “Crank Dat Soulja Boy” -

oh what artistry.

The new-school ee cummings,

defying English - only one step up!

There needs to be no thought anymore!

Just write about vodka and money

and casual sex in the club!

Artists take the thought out of art,

I guess we have to dumb it down.

So rest in peace poetry,

long live the auto-tune generation,

and don’t forget to crank dat -

will anyone miss cummings?

© 2010 Breezie Kae


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes! cummings is a master and pioneer of free verse, and occaisional casual sex I might add.

I loved the plethora of images you brought to life in this poem. When I saw the read request in my list with the words 'e.e.cummings' in the title I thought damn...I have to read that one!

p.s. Could I ask you a favour and sign the poem the way cummings signed off his poetry? He spelt his name only in lower caps (just a little side-note)!

Posted 13 Years Ago


this made me laugh. i really understood it. i see it all the time at my school. drives me insane. we recently had a poetry slam, and although the teacher didn't accept it, some kid tried to do a rap song as poetry, or a regular song. it's sad to realize that poetry is just not as appreciated as it used to be.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm glad you picked Cummings as he represents the complete elevation of thought balanced with style and creativity. Great poetry is a mix of skill, work and genius. This comparison is extreme but amusing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
this is really good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very nice! Love the honesty of this piece. I'm right there with you on this one!

Posted 13 Years Ago


BRILLIANCE! Oh my dear... how I adore this piece! I love it soo much! Finally an amazing satirical, cynical piece about the really crappy music that is played today. This is like a really sophisticated, passive aggressive monologue version of Video on Trial (I mean that in the best compliments because that is one of my favorite shows for what it does). This is such a great poem. I despise Miley Cyrus and Ke$ha (which isn't even a name! To quote Video on Trial "how the hell do you pronounce that ke-KA-CHING-ha?").

Brilliant piece, great flow and rhythm to it, no awkward pauses or anything that sounds overemphasized or forced to meet the cynical expectations. Very natural flow to it as well as great references. Wonderful! I seriously applaud you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


woww this is a breath of fresh air..... ahhh so much of what you've said have been my concern for... years? i can only go back to the year of 1999, when music and its components (vocal, lyrics, instruments, performance) was something my thirsty soul would drink... thank you for writing down this elemental piece! :)

i miss the Beatles muchhh, and Sting~ L

Posted 13 Years Ago


I do agree the music industry has gotten to where it lets anyone get famouse if they sing about sex and drugs...it's really sad actually music is supposed to be a way to express feelings and they've turned it into a way to get laid. There a few artist who use it to express their feelings but very few this peice is awesome!!! and SO TRUE!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Are you sure you're only sixteen? Your poetic wisdom is outstanding in this write. I ditto every word Mark and Rosalyn Marie said.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

638 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 23, 2010
Last Updated on June 16, 2010


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..