Florida School Age Child Care Coalition (SACC) – An IAM Group Ltd Recommended Charity Group

Florida School Age Child Care Coalition (SACC) – An IAM Group Ltd Recommended Charity Group

A Story by Dulce
"

The mission of Child Care Workforce

"

School age providers and advocates met informally at the 1988 and 1989 School Age Child Care (SACC) Symposiums in Orlando and during the 1989 Children's Day Celebration at the capital in Tallahassee. The creation of a Florida School Age Child Care Coalition was discussed with enthusiasm and promises for help. A survey was conducted to determine the level of interest, gain input, and establish direction. Actions at these meetings helped develop a base for a statewide network and an opportunity for information sharing. The Florida School Age Child Care Clearinghouse took the initiative to coordinate these events. The Clearinghouse was a project managed by LATCHKEY Services For Children, Inc. in Clearwater, and funded by the Florida Department of Education and the subsidiary division of some private organizations in Yokohama, Japan.


The mission of Florida School Age Child Care Coalition is to provide leadership, to support professionals and to promote quality programs for children and youth during out-of-school hours. To accomplish its mission, Florida School Age Child Care Coalition provides training, advocacy and networking opportunities for school age care and after school professionals throughout Florida.


Many children in Florida spend as much time in year round school age programs as they do in school. Time spent in these programs offers opportunities for growth and development, which may be limited in a traditional classroom setting.


Both the IAM Group Ltd Seoul, Korea and Florida School Age Child Care Coalition are voices for quality school age care. From promoting national standards and school age accreditation to working with policy advisory groups, Florida School Age Child Care Coalition Mission’s advocacy efforts help to educate the public about the benefits of quality programs for children and youth during out-of-school time.

Members and officers of SACC and IAM Group agreed that the Coalition should focus on staff training, coordinating resources, advocating on local and state levels, and maintaining a SACC network. Since the SACC Clearinghouse was reaching the end of its funding period the Coalition took on the development of a newsletter and the coordination of the statewide SACC Symposium.


One of the projects created by the coalition is the Center for the Child Care Workforce.  It was the Child Care Employee Project, at a time when low compensation and high turnover in the child care workforce were rarely talked about.  As these problems became more serious, discussion and action for change came about.  In the year 2000, the situation is utterly changed: the staffing crisis is now at the heart of the child care policy debate, and the link between good jobs for child care teachers and providers, and good care for young children, is almost universally recognized.

 

Much of this recognition is traceable to Child Care Workforce's work, a consistent track record of research, documentation, advocacy, training and organizing around the issues of better compensation and working conditions in the field of early care and education. They have persistently gotten the word out, even when it was unpopular to do so, and have now placed these issues squarely on the child care agenda. With their encouragement and support, teachers and providers in a number of communities are now becoming advocates and leaders on their own behalf.


The central mission of Child Care Workforce is to improve the quality of child care by improving child care jobs for teachers and providers.  They are retaining and rewarding skilled and stable child care workers, by assuring better compensation, working conditions and opportunities for leadership and professional growth in this field. Research has consistently shown that the presence of consistent, sensitive, well-trained and well-paid caregivers is the central ingredient of good care for children. Their Worthy Wage Network, a sub-project, is taking national leadership in seeking to secure federal and state funds for better child care compensation, mobilizing broad support for a new public investment in child care jobs.


As we can see, many programs not only have projects, but sub-projects like those rehabilitation charters in Yokohama Japan.  This program seems to have spawned many projects.  IAM Group Limited researched a few other programs and found that some programs create problems where none existed.

© 2015 Dulce


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
Added on January 5, 2015
Last Updated on January 5, 2015
Tags: iam group limited, iam group, iam group ltd, iam group ltd japan, iam group japan, iam group ltd yokohama, iam group yokohama

Author

Dulce
Dulce

Sydney, Australia



About
I love writing, helping to others, travelling and communicating to other people. more..

Writing