Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Immortality

Immortality

A Chapter by Duodecim
"

One's form cannot last forever.

"

I want to persist forever. Someday I will die, and the thought of ceasing to exist, of my body and memory fading away until nothing remains, absolutely nothing, raises such terror in my throat that I fear I will choke. My name will fade. My ashes will scatter. My mind will cease. Time will turn me into something insignificant.


The void is as terrifying as it is vast. I enjoy life and all the pleasures that come with it. I want to believe that my experiences and actions have meaning. I want to leave something behind, something that will prove that I was here, that I existed, that I was an individual who did SOMETHING with his life other than perish in mediocrity.


Look how far we as a race have come in one hundred years! In a decade! In a week, even! I want from the bottom of my soul to see where we will go, what we will do, how we will send up a flare into the dark to burst and scream “Yes! We are here! Even if only for a moment, we are HERE!”


Rather, it is something of my making, a tangible, quantifiable, recognizable piece of my soul, that I must hope to somehow create in my lifetime. What form might this creation take? I do not yet know. Perhaps a book, or a song, or a saved life. Whatever the case, I will dedicate the rest of my life to its creation. For to give form to such a hope would mean immortality, and for immortality my life is a small price to pay.



© 2014 Duodecim


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on November 16, 2014
Last Updated on November 16, 2014
Tags: Quiet, Young, Loud, Annoying, Inspiring, Dark, Light, Funny, Serious, Sophistry, Polemic, Biased, Hyperbole, Rational, Surreal, Optimistic, Narcissism


Author

Duodecim
Duodecim

Somewhereville, USA., CA



About
I'm a young narcissist with an arrogant streak a mile wide and an inexplicable chip on my shoulder. more..

Writing
Spirit of War Spirit of War

A Chapter by Duodecim


Tri-Color Tri-Color

A Chapter by Duodecim