Calm before the storm

Calm before the storm

A Chapter by HeinrichVonLeiss
"

An introduction to the characters

"
I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock. 0430 hours. Though it is early, even for me, I quickly excite myself out of bed. Today was the day that I finally get to put high school behind me forever. My hatred for the non educational environment that is the public school system is going to be far less worry some now that I can put it behind me and pursue my passion, joining the army. I quickly get ready for school and drive over to Duncan doughnuts and get ten boxes of sweet deliciousness. As I'm pulling out my best friend, Jeff, calls. "Hey, can you believe we have one last day of school before we can finally enlist", I ask. "Yeah, I'm not the kind of person to get enthralled about something like that, but you know this will be the final day of oppression in that mess" Jeff exclaims. "That sucks that we won't be fighting on the same battlefield but we'll be in the same war, so that's something" I state. "Yeah" Jeff says as he hangs up. To anyone else this might be considered rude, but we just aren't as formal as most others act towards our closest friends.


LOCAL PARK
1400 hours

I pull my truck into the park as I notice I am the last to arrive. My final class was JROTC, so I naturally stayed longer than others to bid farewell to my teachers, who were giving me some last boot camp tips for my enlistment. I see my best friends, Jeff, Melanie, and jack, all sitting at the bench, enjoying our last time ever together like this. Jeff is my closest friend who is from Russia. Needless to say, he is the biggest of our group. He is joining the Navy. Melanie is my friend who wants to join the Marines. Jack is German-American, like me. He used to want to join the Army but changed his mind when he moved away to a marine JROTC, before moving back to our school. After several hours I decide to go home and go to bed.

HOME
0213 hours

I am awoken by a breaking story on the news. The newly formed Islam State has finally done it. Early this morning they attacked the defensive perimeter fifty miles outside of Israel's border. The new state consisting of what was formerly known as Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, and Egypt had not been a threat, but now they have removed any inner resistance through beheadings. Women, children, young, old, it doesn't matter, if you were not a radical Muslim they would kill you. Now that they have united and removed internal conflict, they will be formidable opponents to most anyone who would try to stop them. The only countries with capabilities to stop them are too politically torn to do anything. Even Russia who have always seemed very straightforward, are indecisive as to what they want to do. I am a shocked yet unsurprised. I am still tired, but unable to sleep. I decide to go online and end up spending the rest of the day looking into the situation and other political stories. I come across a strange movement. It appears there is a small militia in the next county over that is training civilians and building up their size, hoping to form an elite unit of approximately one hundred men to fly over to Israel, who are in desperate need of soldiers. For a quick moment I think of what it would be like, but quickly snap out of it when I remember that I am joining the Army.


© 2014 HeinrichVonLeiss


Author's Note

HeinrichVonLeiss
Please give constructive criticism, I know it may not be the best thing you have seen, but I am doing this for fun.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on August 11, 2014
Last Updated on August 11, 2014


Author

HeinrichVonLeiss
HeinrichVonLeiss

FL



About
I am a guy in high school who will be joining the army directly out of school. If I decide to write it will be for fun and possibly to express my feelings about current events, with my own touch of fi.. more..

Writing



Compartment 114
Compartment 114
The Shadow On My Shoulder
There is an angel who sits upon my shoulder who goes by the name of Death...