Volunteer Lament

Volunteer Lament

A Poem by Daniel Valentine Rivera
"

Written: February 27, 2016

"
Today I served my community, as a volunteer, with my heart set at pure and sincere.
At the same time I lament with a single tear, I know she would be proud, if only she were still here.

If it wasn't for her, I would have never known the joy of volunteering. 
As simplistic as it may seem, it epitomizes the life I wouldn't mind steering. 

I've been blessed by the influence of a servile women that breathes in satisfaction. 
And not only me, to my family and friends as well, few were immune to her charming attraction. 

What would be of me without that push to serve people the way God had intended?
But the question I really want answered, is why her life couldn't have been slightly extended?

There was so much that was needed to be said, and not to be said this elegy.
However, you'll be remembered and your final actions won't degrade your legacy. 

I'm glad you were acknowledged for what you've done and who you were in addition. 
But it's a shame how that when we pass on to next life, we reach our peak of recognition. 

A person like you should have been reminded of how much you're worth in many forms.
You enriched the lives of many, and proved your morals to be anything beyond the norms. 

Few people can understand your mentality, that I wish was widely universal. 
That you dedicated your time in making people happy, and it was never vice versa.

Ultimately, that is the reason you are no longer with us, in an event that could of been prevented. 
By seeking the helping that was urgently needed, this painful elegy could have never be implemented. 

With your passion in mind, I can't be blamed to ponder why you could no longer continue.  
I would of never expected you to leave us this way, and sadly we can never understand your point of view. 

But I want to thank you on behalf of every single person you have touched.
I personally wish I could have an effect on people like you or at least just as much. 

I will dedicate myself to making every moment in peoples lives a moment worth spent,
And In your honor I continue to volunteer, and put in as much effort in making this world content..

© 2018 Daniel Valentine Rivera


Author's Note

Daniel Valentine Rivera
Elegy dedicated to Mary Filosa Brown (01/05/60 - 08/18/15)

"A great soul serves everyone all the time, a great soul never dies. It brings us together"

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like how it is written like a journal entry yet can still be read like a poem. It makes the read seem effortless.
I also liked how much of this women’s character I was able to see through your writing. She seemed like a beautiful person.
Happy to have read this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Valentine Rivera

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind review. :)



Reviews

I like how it is written like a journal entry yet can still be read like a poem. It makes the read seem effortless.
I also liked how much of this women’s character I was able to see through your writing. She seemed like a beautiful person.
Happy to have read this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Valentine Rivera

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind review. :)
A touching tribute, DVR. May her legacy lives on through the works of those whom she inspired.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Valentine Rivera

7 Years Ago

Thank you! Her legacy will live on. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

592 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 2, 2016
Last Updated on January 18, 2018
Tags: Elegy, Loss, Love, Admiration, Volunteer, Tears, God, Legacy, Suicide, Depression, Help

Author

Daniel Valentine Rivera
Daniel Valentine Rivera

NC



About
Hey I'm Daniel. I try to be friendly! I welcome your criticism and feedback. Anything and everything you want to say I will take into consideration so that it makes me a better writer. Enjoy.. more..

Writing