Chapter 1 - Gold, Grease and Greed

Chapter 1 - Gold, Grease and Greed

A Chapter by DyloreSilvers
"

After many years of tension, The Kingdoms of Teccao and Midnia finally come to terms and form an alliance. However, the forming of this friendship may not turn out better for many people.

"

The curtains covered the midnight moon. A fiery glow radiated from the candles and chandeliers, just enough for everyone to see each other. Smoke filled the room, not from the pollution outside, but from the very pipes the guests held. Whispers disturbed the silence, and when mouths were shut, a tick, tock from a large hanging clock reverberated around the room.

It was a room, yet it was fit to be called a hall, as was every room in the castle. The walls were covered with portraits of the royal family. Looking down upon their heads were towering pillars, each carved with figures of the past Kings of Teccao. The roof loomed over the crowd, showing them its fading glory; along the ceiling were paintings of the kingdom's former battles and victories. A man holding up his sword at the aftermath of war was painted on one portion; his enemy's head was bleeding at the end of his blade.

The center of the room presented a beautiful, long table, which held plates and cups of gold. The scent of fresh fruit and roasted meat danced still under the noses of the guests, even if they have already finished eating after a while. Oddly, they said the food tasted better in the dark.

Two guards stood beside the main door, unmoved. Knights were also positioned in each corner of the room, and two more waiting behind the King's throne. They all wore heavy metal armor, with helmets that gave them only a long slit to see, and each holding a tall spear with a sharp, pointed end. Guests said they were unnerving; but they were met with stares that pierced through their eyes, and, quickly frightened, dared not to even get a glimpse of the knights again.

The King was soon to come. While waiting, gossip was all the guests could do.

On the farthest end of the table from the King's throne, a short and thin, old man eyed everyone through his monocle. Chains of gold and necklaces with gems hung around his neck. Holding his top hat (and showing off his balding head), he held out his hand to the couple to his right, swinging a chain on his wrist. The couple were reluctant to receive it, but they accepted it anyway.

They wore long white robes, whose cloth twinkled in the starlight and flowed with the midnight wind. The husband wore a thin crown of gold above his pure black hair. Decorating the wife's head were beautiful braided golden brown strands swinging along with her movements. Their faces were fair; one could say they were the most handsome in the room.

"Good midnight, dears," said the old man, wiggling his white mustache, "I am, as you probably may know, the owner of the hot air balloon industry in this country, Sir Lotreson." He hysterically shook the arm of the husband. "And, er, pleased to meet you! I take it you are from the, er, kingdom west of ours, miles away, yes-"

"We are from the Kingdom of Midnia," interrupted the wife. "yet we believe you know this, as you are part of the committee?"

"Ah, I am an old man. I tend to forget, dearie! Ah! You know, spend your time wisely in our country, and visit my balloons. You would really have a good time, you two." He said, now holding onto the wife's arm.

The husband noticed and replaced the old man's grip with his. Staring into the man's blurry monocle, he quickly changed the topic. "I am grateful for the offer, Lotreson, but I'm afraid this would be our last night in Teccao. We ride at noon tomorrow, back to our hometown."

"Oh! No problem dears, but do you have any friends that er, you think might like the, fresh swirl of the cold, high air? You know, A small break from all your troubles?" said Lotreson, winking.

The wife was intrigued. "What must be these- balloons you speak of?"

"Oh gosh! I didn't know you hadn't known! Ah, silly me. Balloons! They're the love of my life." said Lotreson, clearly amused. "Great structures of wonder, you ride one and suddenly you experience the heavens! You can touch the clouds! And don't worry, the clouds don't bite back!"

The wife was very interested in the topic. Never has she before known of such wondrous device, and would force her husband to try it, but the old man held her hand again, then she changed her mind.

"Anyway, to keep the, er, professional talk ongoing- I am a businessman, you know, and, well," he leans near to the husband's ear, "in this world, money is what you need to survive, eh?" whispered the man as he softly chuckled. The husband moved away from Lotreson. "Recommend me to one of your friends? Or... You might stay for a while longer for my balloons, you think?" Said he, bumping the husband on his shoulder. The wife was clearly uncomfortable.

"I do, actually, want to show to you my dearest friend." The husband pointed to a tall and slender figure in the middle, on the other side of the table. He was clothed in all black, his shoulder pads lifted up, and his skin was as pale as the peaks of the mountains. Silent was he, and not a word was said ever since he came in. He seemed to be menacing and disagreeable, with his hunched stature and his tired and angry eyes, but it might just be the cause of fatigue. But he took a glance at Lotreson, and the old man was quick to look away.

"King Idel?" Lotreson dropped his jaw. "The King of- of Midnia-? You're friendly with the King?"

"My name is Sir Rondarius, and if you'll excuse us, I think we should be sitting closer to King Idel. Thank you," said Rondarius, taking off the creep's grip from his wife once again. The wife, Lady Felicia, insulted the man with her stare as they stood up to change seats. Lotreson was left sweating in his seat. Sir Rondarius is King Idel's right-hand man.

On more wholesome matters, there were two people sitting from each other somewhere in the middle of the table, talking like father and son, though they have only met that night. They each seem to have huge smiles on their faces- in fact, they were the only ones who did. The shine of their plates was covered with how colorful the fruits were, and it was clear that only they did not pick the roasted meat.

The younger wore a brown woolen shirt, and it was most probably handed down from his older family members, as it was too big for him. Embracing his neck were leaves from every season, carefully tied into a thin string. The older wore a robe, filled with patches and looked like it hasn't been washed in years. It was unclear what the color of the robe is. And only that he wore, except for wooden rings around his fingers.

These two represent something that has been continuously ignored by their government when making their projects. They advocate for the protection of nature. Seeing each other's beliefs being one and the same, they happily made conversation, yet only for a short while.

"How is Midnia?" Asked Ervanion, the younger of the two.

The older, Phoebus, slowly changed his expression at the mention of his kingdom. His smile faded away.

"Boy, my kingdom is beyond saving. Back in the day, it was called Midnia because it showed its full magnificence when it shined under the stars of midnight. Now, it is called the same but for a different reason; night or day, the city is filled with darkness. The clouds were slowly being replaced by smoke, and rust creeped along the metals of the castle."

Ervanion frowned. This was the first he had heard of Midnia in years. Phoebus circled the rings around his fingers.

"Idel does not favor me. He thinks I'm a nuisance, an obstacle. I am only here as it is required by law, yet someday the same law they made will rot in their hands." Phoebus sighed. "I just wish the discussion tonight is civil."

Ervanion quickly got the courage to share his experience.

"I also have a bad reputation with the King. I was reluctant to give him my land for a structure he was going to build. That was months ago, I am surprised none of the Knights went to my side of the country and demolished my home. But now I can sense the King's disapproval of my presence. I exchanged glances with him on the way here. He gave me an odd stare." Ervanion clenched his fist.

Seeing as the young one is troubled, Phoebus lightens up his heart. "For such a small thing you should still be grateful. Your land is left free to prosper. Teccao still has warmth." Ervanion looked down on the ground. "But, I suggest you be careful with your words tonight, if you wish to live." With that, the fire in the young man's heart just grew larger. He was ready to oppose the King.

The door blasted open, quickly filling the room with noise then returning to silence. The King has arrived. In all his might and glory, he stepped foot inside the room, with two guards on his sides, elegantly walking on the red carpet curving around the table. His shining crown of jewels imitated the light of the chandeliers, and there was a fur cloak wrapped around his neck, sliding across the floor. His steps were heavy, as he was also; the buttons on his robe were holding on for dear life. It made it very difficult for him to sit on his throne, with the guards even helping him get up (and almost breaking their own bones). When all was ready, the King cleared his throat to break the peace. One of the Knights that helped him sit brought out a piece of parchment, and, catching his breath, said,

"Hail, King Grandor! (cough,) Ruler of Teccao, Mighty Warrior of Pangaea, Son of Grinton Legran and Father to Rudy Legran. Husband of the late Queen Mira..." The Knight breathed in deeply, with Grandor eyeing him from his seat, "It is with his humble apologies for the late arrival, there were some matters to attend to. Now for the great ceremony to begin! Feast on, Ladies and Gentlemen, on the finest food from Teccao-" Grandor stops him midway. The Knight realized that everyone was done eating, and were just waiting for the servants to come and clean the table. "My apologies, for- for the feast is done!" The Knight's sweat dropped like rain in a thunderstorm. "And now to introduce to our own people the Kingdom of Midnia."

At that point, King Idel stands up, revealing his tall and skinny stature, yet he was confident in his stance, and everyone turned to look at him. The Knight continued, "May I present, King Idel, Ruler of Midnia, the Land from the North, Protector of the Forest Lave and Lake Coldover, (huge cough,) Son of the late King Idrola! He has visited us here to settle a deal and finally make amends with our country after years of bloody battle- (ahem!) -and quarrel." He then stated each guest's name, starting from Rondarius and ending with Phoebus. "May we welcome Midnia with open arms and open minds."

Grandor took a look at the sweating Knight, and with a small glance from the King, the poor man had to bow swiftly to the guests and walk as quickly as possible to the door. The guests sat still, following him with their gazes as he walks towards the exit. The door closed with a bang, and Idel took his seat.

"It has been quite a while since the two kingdoms have bonded, King Grandor!" Started King Idel, "I remember, when I was a kid, I used to be afraid of you... Rudy was just an infant then, my father used to tell."

"Yes, yes," the King of Teccao says, sipping on his wine as it spills on his white beard, "I remember you, but I cannot recall properly as I was focused on Idrola. Ah, I hope you do forgive me, it was a time of war and desperation. I, had to, my dear boy."

Idel smiled and nodded at Grandor, "I don't take offense on any of that, my friend. I have long since realized how much of a bloodsucker my father was. I have forgiven you long ago, and now I must actually give you my gratitude," the King said, looking up at the ceiling where the painting of a warrior glittered in the moonlight.

Grandor grinned and raised his glass, "For Midnia and Teccao's glory!"

Idel raised his and drank it, the other guests followed, except Ervanion, who never even touched his wine-glass. For a moment he thought Grandor shot him a glance, then looked away again. Lotreson shouted a "Hooray!" without even knowing what they were talking about. Lady Felicia took advantage of the noise and whispered to Rondarius how big Grandor has grown since they last saw him in the war.

Teccao's King raised his hand to one of the Knights and held up his glass. While the Knight was pouring wine in it the King continued, "Tonight, we must talk of secrets, and my guests, I believe I can trust all of you- to never tell a word to the people of Teccao, or Midnia. It is with great dis-ahem-displeasure, that I risk my relationship with the civilians, but for the better of all, I must ask of you to shut your mouths." The guests gave out a chorus of small chuckles, that is, only after the King gave a small grin, as if to tell them that he was just joking. "From the shadows we come here, and back to it shall all of you go." The guests all nodded in approval, and some whispered with their partners, as they have not been listening to anything that has been said since the King went in. Ervanion sat silently, but he knew that the King had purpose in saying that.

"I believe we shall now start with the professional matters," said King Idel. "Pardon me for being boring, but I am longing for Midnia's moon, and can't wait to travel back."

"That is all well," replied King Grandor. "just for formalities, we must sign this parchment, confirming the allegiance that you and I have formed between our kingdoms this very night. I am still to give you my thanks for this, King Idel."

"It is my pleasure." King Idel stands up and follows Grandor to a section of the room in front of the table, where another smaller table lay, lit up by the light of the moon from the window. The guests watched as they took turns in signing their names on a parchment with a quill that looked like it was more expensive than the outfits of every guest combined. Lotreson noticed it and excitedly bumped the shoulder of the man on his left, who glared at him and, in return, pushed the old man to the seat to his right, which was vacant. Lotreson was left astonished.

Phoebus sighed, and Ervanion saw his anxiety.

"Sir Phoebus, what are you upset for?" The young man whispered.

"When the two of them form an alliance, I doubt anything would turn out good for any of us." Phoebus said.

Ervanion gulped and took a deep breath. As the clock hanging from the ceiling tick-tocked the minutes away, the thought that he could persuade the King to leave him and his land alone slowly dissolved in the black fog in his heart. As the meeting went on, the young man swore he felt the pillars of the room grow taller and the smoke circling around him thicker.

Ervanion moved again when the sound of the final stroke of Idel's pen stunned him. Phoebus fiddled around with his wooden rings faster, his heart thumping heavy against his weary bones.

"Ah," said King Idel. "Now it is finished. We are now officially allies, King Grandor! Glory to Teccao and Midnia!" He exclaimed, holding up the golden quill for everyone to see. The people cheered and clapped. "And now, we must talk of the deal."

"Not yet, King Idel! Please, stay, there is still the midnight supper we are preparing. I'm afraid if we talk of those matters now, the night will come to an end faster. Let us exchange stories! It has been months since I have heard of talk of Midnia from its royal family."

King Idel sat down and nodded. "Well, there is nothing to be spoken of, at least in the grander view of things. Nothing of huge impact on our kingdom has happened in the last few years, fortunately. I guess the only story worth telling is of my coronation day."

"Oh! Well, by all means, tell us! The people of Teccao would be very interested in that matter," said King Grandor, and he almost choked on his wine as he talked.

"After my father died in the war, killed by a most legendary warrior of Teccao, I believe his name was King Grandor-" then the King of Teccao stood up and bowed. Lotreson clapped, and found himself the only one doing it.

King Idel continued, "After that, I was then appointed to become King of Midnia. Yet I was only a teen! I did not know the ways of my father, and my mother has gone away to love another, so I was left alone to lead the people."

At that, Phoebus took his ring and wore it slowly into his shaking finger. His hands were slowly becoming stable. Ervanion felt that Phoebus was waiting for King Idel to tell of something.

"It was hard, difficult times. My mind was weary, and so was my hands! Everyday was a nightmare. Stacks of books upon more books towered themselves inside my room, waiting to be read. And for every minute was an urge to slip out of the window and run free from responsibility. But alas, I was determined, and I had a strong mind and a strong will. Most of all, I had passion for my people, even if they are at times as stubborn as a mule." He smiled and turned to Phoebus.

Then he stood up and waved his hand to show the guests his dearest friend, Sir Rondarius. "He was the one who helped me through it all. A friend so loyal that even if you turn your back away from him, he would not stop serving you. May you have a glorious life, Sir Rondarius." The tall and fair man lifted his wine glass and nodded to Idel. The King did the same, and they drank the wine in one gulp.

Grandor spoke as they drank. "And here you are, successful with your endeavors, a mighty King sitting in his mighty throne in Midnia. The heavens has blessed you, and they have blessed you well!"

"Yes! Hard tasks I had to endure, but in the end, here I am, strong and fair, the King of Midnia, to be told in many stories long after my bloodline has ended."

Phoebus, previously as still as a dead tree, suddenly spoke. "Oh, King Idel. How strong and fair you are. But have you forgotten who else aside from Rondarius has helped you pave your path?" Ervanion looked at him, afraid. Suddenly he saw a Phoebus that showed power and no fear. King Idel wiped his smile away from his face, and it was clear that Grandor was also insulted.

Rondarius spoke first. "That is 'Sir' Rondarius, old man. None shall disrespect the right-hand man of the King, nor the King himself."

Idel spoke then, waving his hand to Rondarius to calm down. "No, no, Darius, this is not a day for anger and arguing."

"Who is this old man? Is he of your Kingdom, King- burp- King Idel? I do not recall him in the parchment." Said Grandor, right after attempting to finish his wine in one gulp. He did not succeed, most of the wine trickled down his white beard.

"Yes, his name is Phoebus, from our Kingdom." said King Idel, yet clearly is not asking for the guests to cheer for the old man.

"Good evening," greeted the old man to the guests. "I do not request for applause, Idel, nor recognition. I just wish that you stay true to your words and not let your ego fill your head with air."

Everyone had their mouths wide open. They glared at Phoebus like he started a war. But Phoebus did not move. His eyes were fixed at Idel's way.

Grandor was about to break the silence when Idel did it himself, undisturbing the stare he had with Phoebus. "Phoebus raised me, as a child. He was the one who told me what to read and how to lead. Yes, I had help from him, and the Kingdom is still in his debt. Is that enough as an introduction, Phoebus?"

Phoebus cleared his throat. "Again, I do not wish for applause, but I also do not wish you to grow with darkness clouding your mind. I am grateful you have told the truth."

Beside him, Ervanion was inspired to speak up to Grandor too, yet he felt it was not the time. But when will time come? He did not know, but the moon was moving fast.

"Well, King Grandor," said King Idel, "that's enough of me. Why don't you tell me of Teccao then? We have also not heard of anything from you until our alliance."

"Yes! I have plenty to tell. The people are thriving! The Kingdom is growing. The Knights are slowly doing their work in persuading the southern villages to join our territory. They have been very reluctant."

"Ah, people." Sighed King Idel. "You have to be careful of what you wish. More people means you have more on your mind, and it can grow tiring, King Grandor. Even I can feel it already, and I have only been King for a few months. It took me a long time to convince my people to even think about our alliance with your Kingdom. Agh, it really wrinkles the skin." The young King then looked for a moment at Phoebus.

"Yes, I know that. And I have just the solution for that problem, my friend. Never will Teccao become gloomy once I show you my part of the deal. We shall talk of that later. Alas! The midnight supper is done. I can smell it. Open the door!"

The Knights pulled the wooden doors open, letting into the air of the room a fragrance so unforgettable. The smoke drifted from the door and revealed to the guests four servants, all clad in brown robes and dirty white leggings, and on each of their shoulders they lifted a corner of a wooden board, varnished with a brown shine. On top of the board was a thick tablecloth made of cotton, and it was dyed gold and red. And on it lie the whole body of a pig, its skin glimmering a golden brown color, its limbs tied on thin ropes connected to the corners of the wood, and a ripe apple, blinding the guests with its bright red glow, was placed on its mouth.

As the servants placed down the board onto the table, the guests all started to dig their forks into the juicy meat of the pork, each getting a large portion of pig for their plates. Lotreson tried to reach his hand out to get some, yet even his eyesight was blocked by the many arms of the greedy, sparkling with their silver chains and golden accessories and making noise so loud even Grandor had to govern them, and he stumbled on the floor.

"Everyone settle down! There are plenty more for the night!" shouted King Grandor.

More pigs came in through the door, with the servants placing them down on the table, while others were cleaning the area where they would put the board and quickly found themselves burdened with the weight of tens of plates and glasses. A larger one was put on the table near the window, where Grandor and Idel could feast while they talk.

It was Ervanion who first noticed something odd about the servants, as no one else in the room even cared who were handling their food. Even before the pig was laid in front of him and Phoebus, he felt the limbs of the servants trembling, and he at first thought it was the weight of the pig that shook them, yet he felt that it was something more. He looked upon their eyes, so tired and soulless, and their smiles were empty. They walked with their bare feet on the cold wooden floor, and Ervanion had a glimpse of them being troubled by the moonlight shining from the window. When some of them walked past Ervanion he smelled their garments, and they smelled of the wastes of swine, and, even though he doubted it, the piss of humans. The servants slowly lowered the wooden board down onto the table, and Ervanion noticed their skin; it was not dark due to their own complexion, but they were burning under the sun, with scars and rashes scattered across their back. Here and there were red spots of blood soaked into their clothing, especially noticed on their white pants.

Then when one of the servants came to Ervanion and heard him gasping as he observed them, she looked into his eyes, and her smile turned into a cry of fear. Amidst all the noise the Knights were able to drag her away from the room with no one noticing except the young man, and perhaps Phoebus. Maybe she was telling Ervanion she had suffered, or she was afraid that Grandor had noticed, Ervanion didn't know. But he now had a bubbling anger in his heart, and it was ready to break free of its containment once he finds a way to expose the King.

Yet if anyone would listen, he was unsure. He could still hear the cries of the poor little girl being dragged by the Knights across the hallways of the castle, and still no one took notice in that. They were too busy dipping their bracelets and rings in the sauce of the meat, and even Ervanion felt disgust as he observed the guests. If they acted like this, he doubts anyone would pay attention to him when he shows them the true colors of Teccao.

But he is too determined now, and the fire in his heart just kept growing larger. The last echo of the little girl's scream made its way into his ears. He closed his eyes. Ervanion found himself deep in thought. There was now smoke coming in from the window. Black smoke, thick and foul. Each second the clock ticked made the night grow worse.

Phoebus broke his stare at Rondarius and made a deep sigh. He then looked at Ervanion in fear and worry, and placed his hand on his shoulder.

Then the old man lifted one of his rings and kept it inside his palm. With his other hand he caressed the head of the pig while its body was being butchered by the knives and forks of the guests. He closed his eyes and went into a dream. Ervanion was left confused.

At last after a while the old man lifted his eyelids and looked at Ervanion. There was a tear in his eye as he whispered to the young man, "This one has suffered great. There was fear lingering in his heart at all times, and he died in pain."

Ervanion looked at the dead pig's eyes and saw sorrow.

That was it. He cannot let Teccao go on like this anymore. He was about to stand up and make a speech, when Phoebus suddenly grabbed his arm and pulled him down.

"Not now, boy. We are still weak. We will not win in a fight with them." Then Phoebus let his arm go. The young man clenched his fist and was not able to say a word.

Ervanion sat down as the chewing and the biting and the swallowing of the guests filled the room with noise. The smoke crept along the walls, enveloping the young man in its black fog. He was shaking in his seat, blood red slowly covering his eyes. Yet he cannot do anything. He was a mere farmer in the midst of people of power, and their greed and lust for more has broke them. As their chains of gold and robes of wool danced above the swine, Ervanion and Phoebus sat among them; two leaves enduring the cold of winter as they wait for the warmth of the sun. And someday soon, they will fall and wither, the snow covering their lovely green.


Chapter art by: JamesRPGArt on Patreon



© 2021 DyloreSilvers


Author's Note

DyloreSilvers
First chapter! Hope you like it. What did you think of the tension between Ervanion and Grandor, or Phoebus and Idel?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on December 29, 2021
Last Updated on December 29, 2021
Tags: Kingdoms, Politics


Author

DyloreSilvers
DyloreSilvers

Philippines



About
16, M, Dying, and I wanna get these stories out of my head because it's bugging me more..

Writing