Part 3

Part 3

A Chapter by Eli

Forest North of Leningrad, USSR - November 21, 1937

 

            It was nearing dusk and the snow had stopped falling. To the East, the bright moon was becoming more and more visible in the darkening sky with the thousands of tiny stars around it. And to the West, a beautiful orange and red sunset could be seen, slowly slipping below the dull gray horizon. With the sunset, however, the temperature also began to go down. But for Aleksey, wrapped up in many layers of heavy clothing, that didn't take away from this amazing view of the sky. He loved being outdoors, and the beautiful scenes the sky creates on a daily basis never ceases to leave him in awe.

            But for tonight, there was no time to stop and stare. He and Nikolai must keep going, as quickly as they can, to the Finland-Russian border. Only there would they be safe to rest for a longer period of time than they would here in this forest of frozen trees and stinging snow. For now, they would keep moving under the cover of darkness, then slow down and rest during the day time, so they would not be caught by any NKVD border guards.

            According to Nikolai, if they kept up a good pace tonight and half of tomorrow night, they should be crossing the border. That seemed to be a long time for Aleksey, though. He was beginning to feel hungry and tired.

            “Uncle, how much longer until we can eat?” Aleksey finally asked once the sun was below the horizon.

            “When the sun arises at dawn. That is also when we will rest, like I have already told you.”

            “I don't know if I can wait much longer.”

            “But you must, Aleksey. Your life depends on it.”

            Aleksey felt like saying that his life also depended on eating, but he knew that wouldn't be a good thing to do. Instead he continued trudging through the thick, Russian snow in a forest he had seen so many times before, but never in the middle of Winter. 

 

 

 

            Finland-Russian Border - November 22, 1937

 

            Aleksey would have felt like falling asleep if it wasn't for the loud, obnoxious howling of the wind, and the stinging cold poking at his skin and lungs. To his surprise, there was no snow blowing in the wind. The only thing coming from the sky was the brilliant shining of the moon and a few wispy clouds.

            It was sometime after midnight, and they had been walking since dusk. Both Aleksey's and Nikolai's legs were sore from the endless stomping in the mid-shin high snow, but they knew that they were almost to the end of their journey. One clue of this wasn't a sign telling them of their location, but of a patrol seen slowly making their way through the ice coated forest. They didn't see Aleksey and Nikolai, of course, or else they would have been put in prison or sent to a labor camp for internal exile for illegally leaving Russia.

            But now, they have spotted another patrol coming their way, only it is much larger than the first. This one has ten men altogether, and it looks like they are splitting into two groups. One group of five are turning to Aleksey's and Nikolai's left, and another group of five are heading to their right. But only slightly are they turning. They are close enough to spot Aleksey and Nikolai, who are now knelt between two large trees that have grown within two meters of each other. Aleksey was beside the tree on the right, and Nikolai was by the tree to the left.

            “Aleksey,” whispered Nikolai, “stay absolutely still. Keep your eyes on the guards to the left. I will watch the ones on the right. Inform me any strange maneuvers they may make. Remember, stay absolutely still. If they happen to see us and question us, pretend we were asleep after failing to find my mother's house. You are my brother. Understood?”

            In response, all Aleksey did was nod. He was too afraid to do anything else. The worst scenarios possible continued to flash in his mind, and no matter how hard he tried to keep them away, it was impossible to do so. Only watching the guards helped to somewhat distract him from his thoughts.     

            After a minute had passed, to what seemed to Aleksey and Nikolai an hour, the guards began to pass their position. Every muscle in Aleksey's body tensed, and his adrenaline began to pump faster than he it had ever before. Not even the sight of his calm and collected uncle could put him at ease. But, to both of their great relief, the guards passed without any trouble. They both exhaled all the air trapped from their tensed muscles and began to continue moving forward again. They also started picking up their pace so that they would avoid any other similar encounters.

 

 

            Another quarter to half of an hour later, they spotted a large fence that seemed to go on forever in both directions within the forest. At its top was a mass of tangled barb wire, discouraging anyone willing to cross over.

            “Is this the border?” asked Aleksey, staring at the tall fence.

            “I suppose so.”

            “How do we get over it?”

            “I don't know. Perhaps we could lay blankets down over the wire? That is all that we could do, I think.”

            Aleksey looked up at Nikolai with a pained expression. Although there was no other way to get over, he still felt it wasn't a good idea.

            “Come on, you place this blanket over it and I will put this one there.” Aleksey grabbed the blanket and walked closer to the fence. Unfolding the blanket, he assumed a stance to throw it. Nikolai did the same, and together they tossed both blankets over the fence.

            “You go first,” said Nikolai, gesturing toward the fence. “I will make sure you get over okay.”

            Aleksey did as he was told, gripping his hand and feet onto the fence. He pulled himself up and over as fast as he could, with no problems. Then Nikolai climbed over, carefully putting his hands on the blankets and lifting his legs over the top, careful not to get his clothing caught on to any exposed wire. When he was on the ground again and they tried to take the blankets down, neither blanket would move.

            “They are stuck!” Aleksey exclaimed, trying not to yell.

            “Quick, pull it harder!” ordered Nikolai just before his blanket completely ripped off the wire. Both he and Aleksey stared with shock at the torn blanket. After looking at each other for a good minute, Nikolai finally said, “Just rip yours off too. The smaller the pieces on the wire, the harder it will be for the guards to see them.”

            So Aleksey pulled as hard as he could on the blanket until it ripped. Without hesitation, Nikolai shoved both torn blankets into the sack and started running away. Aleksey ran off behind him, barely able to hear Nikolai say, “We must get as far away from here as possible! We still have a long way to go Aleksey, so stay strong!”

            And with that they were off once again, with the thousands of tiny stars surrounding the clear white moon above them.


© 2011 Eli


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

the description in this chapter is stunning and beautifully written... The image's doubtlessly architects and as always, the suspense is controlling all the chapter. I don't like the fact that you left me now with thousand questions, wondering about what they will do... BEAUTIFUL CHAPTER

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
☯
Another great chapter. The descriptions and events kept my heart beating faster and also on the edge of my seat. Awesome write! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Extremely well written. You had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

100/100

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really don't know what to say to this. You have left me speechless.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 11, 2011
Last Updated on May 11, 2011


Author

Eli
Eli

Charleston, SC



About
I'm a 17 year old kid who loves writing, photography, reading, mathematics, science, and music! *IF you review any of my work, please don't just say how good it was. I want strict reviews that can.. more..

Writing
Search Search

A Poem by Eli


The Young Man The Young Man

A Poem by Eli