The Unit

The Unit

A Chapter by LoveMeNot

Nala tried her best to be ignored, as she walked casually down the corridor adjacent to her classroom. She planned on doing this quickly and efficiently, just as they taught her. Living in the sky, in one of the largest stratoships in the world, did not grant her much freedom on board.  In fact, the chances of her breeching security in any way, shape or form were little to none.

But this wasn’t about security. This was about the truth.

She wasn’t supposed to be in Geometry for another six minutes, so she made it to the end of the corridor and turned left, where the navigation lab was. She knew the technicians that were usually there had shifts on which they would take breaks. A group of them started to come back from the cafeteria, just as she’d predicted. In the midst of them was a stout, shaggy-haired boy even younger than she was.  Nala wiped her face clean of expression, looked straightforward and crashed right into him, shoving him away and out of immediate earshot.

What the--“ the boy said, toppling over.

“God! I’m so sorry. Are you okay?” Nala said rather loudly, standing over him.

The other technicians, who for the most part were middle-aged adults with serious expressions on their faces, paid little attention to the two of them.

He was rubbing the side of his arm which had broken his fall. “What are you doing?” he said, his boyish voice pitchy and underdeveloped.

“I’m here to collect,” she said.

“I’m working,” he said, straightening his flannel shirt and looking up at her indignantly.  

“We had a deal, nerd,” Nala said, crossing her arms.

“If by nerd you mean the first ever male under the age of sixteen to drive a four thousand-ton airship, then I dare say you are correct in your assessment, if used solely for derogatory purposes,” he replied haughtily.  

Allen,” Nala growled.

“All right, all right! But was that really necessary? Couldn’t you think of anything that didn’t involve you knocking something into the ground? It’s like you have the IQ of a squirrel. Well, actually. Nevermind. That’s an insult to squirrels.”

“Look, nerd, I have three minutes. So talk.” Nala said.

He rolled his eyes and looked around him. “Fine, but if you go blabbering to people, I’ll deny everything.”

Nala glared at the kid impatiently.

He opened his mouth, and then closed it again, sighing. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

Try me,” Nala said.

“Well, do you know what it is this thing’s used for? Why it was built in the first place?”

“Training,” Nala nodded. She remembered her father mentioning it once in one of their few, forced conversations. “A special type of training. Except no one really knows for what--“

“Or who, or why. In fact, the majority of employees aren’t allowed in some parts of the ship. Or most of it, really.”

“What do you mean?”

“I once stole a glimpse of blueprints for the stratoship a few months back as I was passing floor E. Turns out eighty-five percent of it is off-limits to all employees save the captain. Or in other words, your dad.”

“You got all that from a glimpse?” Nala said.

He flashed her smile, and tapped his forehead, singing, “Photographic meh mor ee.”

“Ah. And have you ever…?”

“Been in any of ‘em? No. Have you not listened to a word I’ve said? Off-limits,” he said sternly, causing her to frown. “However, there have been a few accidents. Or at least that’s what they looked like.”

“What accidents?” Nala said, no longer aware of how much time she had left before someone would notice she was gone.

“Well, a couple of weeks after that, there was a break-in on of the chem labs. I was walking back to my room when this big, beefy kid about your age ripped open the doors with his bare hands and destroyed everything inside. And I mean, destroyed. It was awesome,” he said, throwing his hands up in the air.

“Then a bunch of other scientific-looking people came to the scene. He was immediately put down, and I never saw anything like that again.”

Allen waited for Nala’s reaction, but she had none, except that she wanted to know more. With each question answered came another thousand. “And they let you go? Just like that?” she asked, dubious. 

“Let me go? You think I’d still be here talking about it if they’d even suspected I was there?”

“So you hid?”

“And ran.”

Now she allowed herself to be amazed. She couldn’t believe how ignorant of so many things she’d been for so much of her life. She was going to get to bottom of this, somehow.

“When you say accidents,” Nala started to say, but before she could inquire further, she noticed the color drain from Allen’s chubby cheeks and his eyes focus on something behind her.

“I’d hate to be the one to interrupt something important,” said a cool voice.

Whipping around, she saw a lean, dark-haired man with glasses staring at them.

“No, sir,” Allen said abruptly. “It’s nothing.”

The man who Nala had never seen before, looked about twenty. His dark eyes were intelligent, but his expression was oddly blank. For a moment Allen stood frozen with fear.

“Get back in the lab now, Brooks, or I’ll make sure you don’t ever come back at all,” he said.

“Yes, sir.” And Allen disappeared, leaving Nala completely alone. To her surprise, the man didn’t speak to her or even look at her. He just stepped back inside, the automatic doors sealing themselves shut behind him. And that was when Nala realized how late she was, and that she could have no hope of being let off so easily.



© 2012 LoveMeNot


Author's Note

LoveMeNot
fuller overview of the story:
The Unit, a secret organization that specializes in preparing gifted individuals for combat, has been warned that earth was doomed to catastrophe. The humans are under attack from extraterrestrial invaders, and it’s their job to train people like Nala, who could do extraordinary things, to defend humanity and its freedom. Soon the sixteen year-old girl finds herself in the middle of a global war.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

good start to your story. It was very interesting learning about how much secrecy was on the ship and how big it was. A good plot twist by adding that the captain was Nala's father. There was one line that seemed confusing, but can probably be fixed by changing a word, it was :"Turns out eighty-five percent of it is off-limits to all employees save the captain. Or in other words, your dad.” I don't know if you mean "accept the captain." As well try to indent the paragraphs just to give it a better presentation. Other than that a great start. keep it up.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LoveMeNot

11 Years Ago

Thaks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!



Reviews

good start to your story. It was very interesting learning about how much secrecy was on the ship and how big it was. A good plot twist by adding that the captain was Nala's father. There was one line that seemed confusing, but can probably be fixed by changing a word, it was :"Turns out eighty-five percent of it is off-limits to all employees save the captain. Or in other words, your dad.” I don't know if you mean "accept the captain." As well try to indent the paragraphs just to give it a better presentation. Other than that a great start. keep it up.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LoveMeNot

11 Years Ago

Thaks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 29, 2012
Last Updated on December 29, 2012