2. A portable life

2. A portable life

A Chapter by E.Ray

The breeze slid through Merry's cheek, this was the first sign, that leaving Eris was a good decision. She will search for a new home with the green pastures and soft whistle of the wind, the vision of never�"ending�"spring. Merry was more prepared for the challenge, she gathered the food from their old house, everything what was edible, leaving sprinkles on for the greenery, which was still in its growth phase. So she made sure, that they won't starve, if they returned empty �" handed after exhausting exploration without finding a replacement for their own home. Her heart without any regrets fluttered overjoyed like a little bird.

Tim searched up his belongings and collected valuables from pockets. It was not enough for two children to cross the whole space, so they could only afford some fuel for the spaceship.

“What is the biggest amount you can pour me for this, Tim showed his hand with silver coins.

“More than ten gallons are impossible, answered him the tradesman, while crossing his arms, seeming worried about those two.

“At least eleven?

“No. More than ten won't make.

“Maybe we should go back to Eris, while we still can. Are you sure, you want to leave all behind? There might be nothing for us in this space,Merry pulled boy's sleeve.

“Nothing, what would worth as much as it costs, she kept the last part of her thought unsaid.

“Of course we will continue our expedition, just think about how much we don't know and haven't even heard about. Our home and money is only a small sacrifice compared to the adventures and rewards waiting for us in other planets, Tim spoke without a single doubt in his voice.

Triton, the moon of Neptune, was the only site outside Eris, that Tim has ever visited, so he couldn't ensure happiness, yet his claim was appealing to Merry. The boy didn't suspect, that they will become nomads, so he pointed to this marketplace full of the world's treasures.

“Merry, look, isn't it promising?”

It was enough for girl's eyes to glitter. Somewhere from the side, the shout of another tradesman reached her ear: “The food you eat is your soul's essence. Only here we have the freshest space eels and shooting starfishes!

Unimaginable delicacies were sparkling in the sun like gems. Most strangers passed by the stalls without even looking at them, because the prices were as unreachable as the exotic planets of goods' origin. Neptune was orbiting outside the solar system, so all kind of recluses, strays or other poor, survived by trading here and wandering from one place to another. Of course, by this time there was a noticeable increase in sly intergalactic tradesman, therefore marketing became a lot harder for kids, who were found particularly easy to deceive.

Tim blended with this sea of strangers and Merry was approached by a different image of possible future. A beggar was asking for spare cents. The girl believed every word of his retold story of unfortunate life, yet she had nothing to share with him. Colors, rumbles and people confused her as she was used to isolation and the peacefulness of snowy capes. So Merry looked away from the face of an unhappy man, focusing on his shoes, which had cup lichen growing from it. Begging hands were reaching to her, but luckily Tim appeared dragging the girl away from the picture of misery.

“Now all we have is to move forward, I got the eleventh gallon of fuel,Tim seemed proud of himself.

“Have you outsmarted the tradesman?

“No, I traded a key of our house, our only residence is this spaceship and our lives will be on the move till the destination of our dreams.

Merry emptied her belongings taken from home, now all her life consisted of a few bags.

“A portable life, isn't it, the girl surrendered to Tim's irresponsibility.



© 2016 E.Ray


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like Merry, and I really like the way you write. It reminds me a liiiitle of a style like Alice Munro

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
1 Review
Added on July 16, 2016
Last Updated on July 16, 2016


Author

E.Ray
E.Ray

Writing
3. Drifting wishes 3. Drifting wishes

A Chapter by E.Ray


4. Birdland 4. Birdland

A Chapter by E.Ray