Running, Hot, and Cold

Running, Hot, and Cold

A Chapter by EarthExile

I didn't sleep much. My head was still pounding from the impact with Beck's kitchen wall, and all the activities that had transpired since had only made it worse. 
The only clothes I had were still cold and damp, so I slept undressed, but that was scarcely better. I shivered under Beck's thin blankets and held myself close to her small body, futilely hoping for some warmth. She slept like a rock, of course, having thrown a massive, powerful spell, eaten nothing, and then... well.
It turned into a long night. 
I lay awake, thinking, listening to her breathe. I shouldn't have felt so lonely, not considering the sort of evening it had been, but when all was said and done, that was the problem. I felt alone. Lying in bed with the girl I'd loved for so long, the girl who three days ago I would have cut off my legs to get back, and all I could feel was lonely.
I didn't think it was the coercion. To be perfectly honest, my objections had started halfhearted and only gone down from there. It was the fact that I'd felt the need to object at all. 
Why?
Wasn't this what I wanted?
It certainly seemed to please Beck. She'd gotten her Text, done some impressive Reading, and what, seduced me? Was it seduction? Whatever the word was, she'd had a very productive night. I had, too, I thought. But the progress had sort of screeched to a halt as soon as I got to Beck's house.
I didn't want to be here.
I sat up slowly, not wanting to wake her up. It was freezing cold, but at least I was dry, now. I pulled a towel from a hook on Beck's wall and wrapped it around my waist, and snuck out of the room as quietly as I could. 
I'd thrown my clothes in the dryer a couple hours ago, and opened the machine again now, hoping they were done. Well, they didn't have that cozy warmth I'd been hoping for, but my jeans, shirt, and coat were dry, if a little stiff. Good enough. I slipped into them, picked up my shoes, and reached into my coat pocket.
S**t. Of course the Text wouldn't be there, I'd put the coat in the laundry. 
I padded into the kitchen, almost slipping on the still-wet floor. My Text was lying on the table, pink sticky notes proud and flamboyant. I slid the book off the table, flipped it open to a certain page, and Read the two vowel-heavy words that would take me home.
I erupted from the technicolor insanity in my own bedroom, which was almost startling in its warmth. I stumbled a little, as usual, but managed not to make too much noise, and gratefully fell into bed after discarding my coat. My stomach gurgled angrily, but I was too tired to do anything about food. I managed to wriggle under my warm down comforter, and I passed out instantly.
I may have dreamed, but I don't remember.

* * *

There was a text message waiting on my phone when I woke up around noon, the small green light on the blocky device blinking steadily.

From: Beck
Sent At: 10:38 AM
miss u already. had an amazing night. hope ur not 2 tired :-)

I almost responded, remembering at the last second that I was supposed to be on some work-related special assignment. I would have to come up with a story, I realized, then realized I was not happy about having to come up with a world of fiction in order to avoid Beck.
I was not happy about wanting to avoid Beck.
I lay on my back and stared at my ceiling, wondering if I was happy at all. Well, I had work later. I could hang out with Buck and Lee and learn more about my Text. Take another step towards being Conclave. I was anxious and excited. But happy? Hard to say. 
The indicator light on my phone continued to blink, and I poked at the screen. There was in fact another text, from a number I wasn't familiar with. It had a local area code, though, which narrowed my suspicions down to a few people.
As it turned out, it was none of them.

From: Unknown Sender
Sent At: 05:45 AM
This is Lee. Please answer when you get the chance. 

I raised an eyebrow, a silly gesture considering I was alone. "Well that's unusual," I muttered, flipping the phone open and registering the number in my phone's memory. I thought for a second, and composed a response.

To: Lee
Sent At: 12:04 PM
got your text. was asleep til now. whats up

Sighing, I pulled myself out of bed, wincing at an unlucky glare of sunlight off my brand. I stretched my arms out, yawning, and by the time I'd finished that, my phone warbled at me again. 

From: Lee
Sent At: 12:05 PM
I forgot I'd texted you. Disregard.

Whatever. I dropped the phone on my bed and wandered to the bathroom. I felt like a nice, long shower. I felt unclean for some reason. I chalked it up to sleeping in yesterday's damp clothes.
I sat in my kitchen while I waited for the water to warm up, absently flipping through my Text. There were two or three new Glyphs whispering at me, but I managed to avoid triggering them. The strange impulse to Read whenever I looked at them was becoming easier to resist. Lee had explained, or at least attempted to explain, that the words were constructed in such a way that they actually encouraged the Reader to speak them aloud.
Which made no sense to me at all. But if it hadn't been for the odd intuition that struck me as I looked through the Text, I would never have learned to teleport myself, or flick a handful of fire at things, or lift bongs with my mind. 
Or, in all likelihood, ever seen Beck again. Or met Lee in the first place, let alone the less-bitchy version of Lee that seemed to take her place when we were discussing the Conclave.
I regarded the Text warily. "You've sure stirred things up, book."
It said nothing. I took that as a good sign. Stowing the book in my coat, I stripped down and hopped in the shower, enjoying the sensation of warm water for the first time in about a week. My skin felt like it was on fire, and I loved it.
You don't feel the cold seeping into you, you know. You shiver and your fingers and toes ache, but that's all just surface distractions. When you've been even a little too cold, for too long, it takes a certain miserable hold of you. You catch yourself shivering or holding yourself, even when you're inside where it's warm. You're a little slow, a little tired, a little numb. And you never realize it until you feel true heat again. The sun on your face. A blazing fire.
Or a boiling hot shower. I stood under the showerhead and exalted in the burning, suddenly feeling awake and strong. My fingers flexed easily. I realized I'd been gritting my teeth for a long time, and my jaw ached when I finally relaxed it.
I stayed that way for a long time, until the heat began to lessen and I realized I'd used up the ancient heater's capacity for hot water. I reluctantly twisted the handle to "off" and toweled off, enjoying the sight of my skin steaming against the suddenly cool air. Back to reality, I mused. 
My phone's indicator light was blinking again, I saw when I went to my room to get dressed. I pulled on some shorts and a shirt and poked the screen.

From: Lee
Sent At: 12:34 PM
I may not be able to come to the bookstore tonight. I don't know if you care, but it seemed polite to let you know.

Interesting. I considered this for a few minutes. I was quickly realizing that there was a lot more to Lee than being the Conclave's resident super-b***h, and considering that we were going to be working together for awhile, I decided it'd be a good idea to try and get to know her better.
I took my time responding.

To: Lee
Sent At: 12:45 PM
something to do with the screaming fight i heard in the alley last night?

From: Lee
Sent At: 12:47 PM
I didn't realized you'd heard that. Yes, I'm dealing with some Conclave politics right now. Perhaps not dealing as well as I should be, but dealing nevertheless. 

To: Lee
Sent At: 12:49 PM
since im at a safe distance i will ask; are you okay? seemed intense

From: Lee
Sent At: 12:53 PM
I can teleport at will. There's no such thing as a safe distance. Thank you for asking though. I'm very hung over, and I have to go to HQ and scream at some people later. I will try my best to get to the store later.

I didn't really have anything to say to that, and I was on a limited texting plan, so I slid my phone shut and sat back in my desk chair. So she'd had too much to drink last night, and texted me out of the blue. Interesting. It was also jarring to see perfect spelling and capitalization in a text message. I wondered if her phone had a spell checker or something, or if she was just precise like that.
I was becoming curious about this so-called "HQ", and whether it was the ridiculous moon base Beck had mentioned. Or perhaps the "Nexus", where there was purple light and Sbarro pizza. It seemed that for every bit of information I got my hands on, there were at least two things nobody was telling me.
I realized it was well past noon, and sent Beck a quick message along the lines of "boss wanted inventory taken. cant believe how long this is taking". Conjuring another story, I thought. Watch me pull a day of obligations directly out of my a*s. Any excuse not to see the girl I loved, and I still couldn't figure out why. 
Ugh.
I shrugged into my coat and left my apartment. I had a few hours to kill before work, and I was starving. I just had to remember to avoid Tommy's grocery store. 



© 2011 EarthExile


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Trick's shower was beautifully written. That's odd to say, but there you have it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I've been noticing a trend in fantasy and science fiction, where protagonists for whatever reason can't or don't use modern communication devices. The Dresden Files, for instance, has a wizard narrator who can't use the internet or a cell phone or any electronic gadgets because his innate magical presence fries their circuitry.

This is done for two reasons- one, to create drama. "If only I could warn Karrin about the werewolves coming to her house! If only I had a cell phone! I must race against time now!"

And two, to inject what may or may not be superfluous magic and supernaturality into the story. Harry is an investigator, and at least half of the information he needs would be easily available on the internet. But because of his magic aura, he is forced to use paranormal means like spy faeries, information spirits, and making pacts with demons and Sidhe in order to procure information. All of which is much in the spirit of the Dresden universe.

It's the same reason a lot of horror movies now are set in the 60s and 70s. Everyone has a phone now. Everyone can use the internet on their iPod. In other words, everyone can always call 911 from anywhere. So Leatherface would be a lot less scary to modern kids. "Holy f**k! Call the police!" Twenty minutes pass and everyone is saved. Not scary.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good chapter, seems like Trick is thinking more and more about his and Beck's relationship....I wonder what he'll do! I like all of the texting as well, it gives it a modern feel, as if he could be my next door neighbor right now.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

425 Views
3 Reviews
Added on January 20, 2011
Last Updated on January 22, 2011


Author

EarthExile
EarthExile

About
Welcome to my profile! Clicking to come here has just made you my new best friend, isn't that exciting? I'm an aspiring writer in the speculative fiction genre. Any and all feedback is welcome, eve.. more..

Writing
Open Minds Open Minds

A Story by EarthExile


This is Me This is Me

A Story by EarthExile


Breathe Breathe

A Poem by EarthExile