One

One

A Chapter by Ebs Newman

Sienna gulped down the last of her coffee and turned the key, the engine roared into life. Startled locals looked, some in curiosity others in annoyance. She got that most places that she travelled, almost like people couldn’t believe that the V8 ute could possibly be handled by a woman. And she sure was a slip of a woman. At little over five foot she regarded herself lucky that she was custom built to ride racehorses and luckily she loved doing it. She wasn’t all that bad at it either having finished her apprenticeship in the city she was now heading to smaller ‘country’ tracks in order to prove herself somewhat. Or perhaps she just wanted a break from the city and the noise and the bustle. Pulling the big rig out from the curb she smiled into her revision mirror as she watched the two horses in the float standing patiently.  It had been a long, bumpy trip for those two. Sienna shook her head and fought with her common sense. He lived not even two hours from here, she could rest up for the night and get going again in the morning. It would do the horses the world of good too. As if her body was giving her a kick in the right direction a spasm of pain ran down her back. Thirty six hours was a long time to be on the road and she had a fair drive still to go.

Grumbling to herself she retrieved her mobile phone and punched in the name she was looking for. Without hesitation she punched call but here nerves got the better of her as the phone rang. Finally someone answered.

“Howard residence, this is Mary.” Siennas heart dropped through her feet as she wondered who this Mary was. Perhaps a new wife? Or maybe another sister?!

“Hi Mary, this is Sienna Howard. Is Tate there?” Silence rang out loudly. More than a minute passes and nothing, she wondered if she had lost the connection. “Er, hello? Are you still there.”

“Yes, dear oh dear. I haven’t heard that name in such a long time. And you sound so very mature dear! All grown up into a beautiful young woman I’ll bet. Dear, your fathers out working at the moment, out on the tractor. Can I help you perhaps?” The dear woman’s voice was shaking on the other end of the line, wrapped up in memories of a beautiful green eyed, red haired toddler running around the homestead overwhelming her. Mary fought back tears. Damned getting old and sentimental.

“ Oh. You remember me?!” Sienna couldn’t help being taken aback; she had so little connection to her past that the thought that someone remembered her threw her completely. “I’m sorry; you’ve caught me off guard. I’m passing through and was wondering if perhaps I could pop in and say hi. Maybe rest for a few hours?”

“Of course dear! I’ll call Tate in immediately! Oh how lovely, it’s been what, twenty years?” Mary couldn’t contain herself. This poor child had been missing from their lives for so many years and now, here she was, out of the blue and wanting to come home. She knew in her heart that Tate would be thrilled but this was going to be a hell of a shock. And Grace, oh how that child could be stubborn. She would certainly be taken aback, the sister she never knew. A quiet, uncertain voice snapped her back to reality.

“Do you think he will mind that I’m coming? I don’t want to be rude and just show up.” Uncertainty overtook Sienna’s need for sleep. She suddenly regretted making the call, wishing she could roll on past and keep on driving.

“Oh love, this will be a shock to his system that’s for sure. But a daughter coming home? No he won’t mind at all. You worry yourself with getting here safely and let me deal with your father.” Mary simply wished the girl was here now. She sounded so very fragile and lost on the phone.

“Ok, I’m still a while away. Two hours or so, is that ok?” Secretly Sienna hoped for a change of heart. Some anger, anything but warmth and acceptance.

“See you then child. Bless you and drive safely.” Mary hung up the phone quicky and took a deep breath. She had much too do.

“Bye” Sienna felt mixed emotions as the phone line went dead. She felt relieved that someone there would be welcoming but nerves. What if her mother had been right all these years. All her life her mother had lead her to believe that Tate had kicked them out and abandoned them. That he didn’t want a family. But as her mother got sicker and more involved in the bottle Sienna had begun to silently question her. The true nature of the woman began to show and Sienna did what many teenagers did. She ran. Tears threatened to overwhelm her. Over tired and over wrought, she needed a sleep more than anything. Shaking her head she hoped to dislodge the feeling of disconnection and focused on the road ahead. In her state she suddenly realised that she had failed to mention that she had two horses and a dog on board.

                Two long hours later and the sun was peeking out from behind the rolling clouds at its highest point in the sky. Midday. Sienna had been on the road without a sleep now for eighteen hours and as she spotted the “Gums Creek �" T J Howard” sign she had no room for emotion inside of her. Relief washed over her as she pulled into the driveway. Through the hazy fog of exhaustion she didn’t notice the paddocks full of fat Angus cattle or the beautiful rolling hills of her childhood.  Finally after what felt like kilometres she spotted the homestead in the distance. She passed what looked like horse yards and a barn and wondered if she should pull over here and unload the horses.  Deciding against that she followed the track up to the homestead and with shaky hands she pulled up and turned off the vehicle.  Fearing that she might pass out she groggily dragged herself out of the ute, stumbled over her dog and walked over to the horse float. A homely looking woman who Sienna vaguely registered must be Mary was making her way over to her from down the stairs of the big homestead, concern masking her face. Sienna struggled to get the access door into the front of the float open and nearly burst into tears then and there.

                Mary approached the young woman cautiously at first, seeing the ute towing a float she wondered if perhaps she was a customer of Tates. But, seeing the blood red head of hair and the image of the boss’s ex wife on her face she had no doubt that this was the bosses daughter.

“Sienna dear, you look like death. Can I help you?” Mary was battling with her own emotions but seeing the young girl fighting back tears she leaped in to help.

“Mary? I’m sorry, I can’t get this bloody thing to bloody OPEN.” She felt the tears take over as her exhaustion kicked in. Kneeling over at the back of the car her little dog jumped up and licked the wet tears from her cheek, as she gave in and began to sob quietly. “I’m sorry, I haven’t slept in so long” She managed to hiccup out between sobs.

“Dear, come here and get inside. Those horses can be sorted out when the boss gets in. You need sleep.” She reached for the girls arm and practically dragged her to the house. The little black dog growled protectively as her as she lead her master up the stairs. “Come on in little one, what’s her name dear?”

“Bundy. She doesn’t have to come inside. She can go in the car and I can unload the horses, I just need a moment.” Deep down all she wanted was to curl up into bed and sleep.

“Don’t be silly dear, the dogs no trouble and Tate will be back in a minute he is more capable of sorting those horses of your out than you are. Besides, I don’t know where he would want them to even go tonight.” Stubborn this one, Mary thought. Just like her father. She led the sobbing young woman into the room that used to be her bedroom and helped her into bed. Bundy was up and sitting protectively next to Sienna in a flash. “You sleep tight dear, I’ll wake you when it’s time for dinner” The girl was fast asleep before Mary even made it to the door.

                Making her way back into the kitchen Mary grabbed the two way. “Tate, are you on channel?”

“I’m on my way back Mary, who the bloody hells got those horses? I thought we put all the breakers off ‘till next month! Bloody city folk” Tate had more work than he could handle and certainly did not need some city folk showing up demanding help. And certainly not today. Not with Sienna coming home, he hadn’t even begun to process that one.

“It’s Sienna, Tate. They are hers. Still in the float. I need help with them.” Mary hated the damned two way.

“Wh...Ok. I’m coming up the drive now. Can she meet me at the stables with them?” Tate was taken aback. So the girl had horses. What on earth was she carting them across the country for?

“Ok. See you there” Mary hung the speaker back up and ran out to the car. The horses were banging and crashing around in the float, annoyed by the lack of movement and fed up with being couped up in the small space. Mary turned the key and headed the outfit back down the drive towards the barn. She hoped Tate wouldn’t be too far away. Horses terrified her and these ones sounded crazy, the way they were kicking and pawing the float. Relief calmed the knot of anxiety that was curled up in the middle of her belly when she saw the beat up old patrol roaring up the drive.

                One of the horses scrambled in the float, kicking the back door in frustration. Tate stood and waited until the horse stilled before he advanced on the float. With the front door open he quietly stepped into the float with the two frustrated horses. One was calm looking buckskin and the other chestnut looked young, perhaps a yearling and was the trouble maker. He regarded Tate with wide eyes and flaring nostrils. Tate made a quick assessment and untied both horses, cursing the youngster as he leaped backwards at his advance.

“Mary, I’m gonna get the youngen out first ok, then you let the older one out. Just walk straight into the barn with him, give me a lead. He looks like a calm type of guy so don’t panic too much. Just don’t let him go ok.” Tate had already jumped out of the float and had the back down before Mary had processed his request. Noting the way her face paled he smiled calmly at her.”It’ll be ok. If the girl can handle him, you can.” He knew she was terrified but she had to lead the horse not even 30 foot. She would be ok.

Mary nodded and without wasting any time Tate released the youngster from his bay. Sensing freedom the young horse sprang backwards and kept on travelling. The young horse hit the end of his rope and attempted to spin and run away from the person restraining him but Tate was two steps ahead of his. The young horse shook his head and patted the air in frustration then came to a halt. Calmly he instructed for Mary to release the Buckskin.

“Walk him straight past us and lead this young one into the barn. Straight into the first box on the left.” He knew Mary was shitting herself but the older horse walked calmly backwards down the ramp. After looking around his surroundings he calmly followed the woman’s lead into the barn. Tate followed with the bouncy youngster and was surprised when the little horse walked straight into the box as directed.  “Leave the halter on him Mary, just unclip the lead. I’ll get them a feed.”

                Grateful for permission to leave she unclipped the horse and slammed the box door close behind her. Without looking back she headed straight for the house. A woman needed a drink after something like that.

                Tate took a few seconds to examine the horse he was holding before he released him. His chestnut coat gleamed in health, his mane neatly pulled and his ears clipped. A brand on his right shoulder let him know that he was a yearling and standing at just under fifteen hands he was well grown one at that. Must be a thoroughbred he thought. The horse was all out of whack confirmation wise and he had one white eye. What on earth was the girl going to do with him? He would have to quiz her when she woke up not that it was any of his business but it would be a hell of an ice breaker. Letting the flighty animal go Tate headed back out to the ute. He had much to do.

 



© 2011 Ebs Newman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
Added on April 26, 2011
Last Updated on April 26, 2011


Author

Ebs Newman
Ebs Newman

Australia



Writing
Outback Outback

A Poem by Ebs Newman