The Crow's Message

The Crow's Message

A Chapter by MSal
"

The first chapter of the book The Fall of Obviohelm

"

I

The Crow’s Message

            The men, woman, and children of Solmhelm all clapped rhythmically to the bagpipes and lutes. The stage was occupied by hired jesters who were now juggling five iron daggers at once. In between the marvelous clowns danced the best dancers from the town of Little Elems nearby. Clothed in bright green and yellow, the dancers moved as swiftly as flames in the torches upon the walls. The jesters danced with their feet too as they juggled, entertaining the children who sat, watching in awe. The men and women sat at the long tables which were placed in rows, feasting away joyously. Large platters of fine meat, wine, pastries, and bread lay along the table.

            Every year, the Celebration of Harvest would take place in the Courtyard, next to the King’s castle. During this time of year, everyone celebrated those who provided food to the wellbeing of Solmhelm. Today, all the men, elves, and dwarves from the kingdom had come. What a day to be cherished it was! Flowers which were carefully grown had for months had been placed along the outer walls of the courtyard. They changed their color according to the mood of the people around them.

            As the town cheered for the entertainers, the festival’s council had been preparing for their speech upstairs.

            A tall young man adjusted his purple, silky cloak in the mirror in front of him. His hair was neatly brushed to the side and his leather boots neatly shined. The people around him glared, yet encouraged him that he would do fine. A big day this way for the prince. His father had important business at hand and he put his trust in his son. Prince Hav never had good relations with his father, even before ever his father’s remarriage. For most untrustworthy was Hav, yet his father had always faith he would have a good heart one day.

He looked over his speech on the parchment in his hand and turned around. The people of the council all had grins on their faces. Likewise to many of the attendees, they wore their best clothes and cloaks for this very special day. Hav made his way down the wooden stairs to the grounds of the performances. He quietly made his way through the crowd of dancing men and women and gestured the performers off stage quite rudely. The music came to a quiet stop and all the guests hustled to find a seat.

            Rather odd it was for the king not to give the speech. The king had delivered the speech always. It had been a tradition since the first Festival of Harvests. The fact that this sacred custom had been broken was quite shocking. The guests all exchanged curious and confused looks before settling down again for some sort of explanation.

            “My dear people,” he said in a powerful, menacing voice. His chest pumped out, he continued. “Today, we all know why we are here. To celebrate those who have done their duties.” At once, everyone became shocked, yet in their own minds. The king always spoke to others in respect, yet the prince spoke quite obscenely. However appalling enough, the guests knew the power of even the prince, and so they rebelled none. “That is all on the feast. Now to more important matters.” At this, the crowd went berserk, even out loud. Barely a few sentences had been spoken, and such disrespect!

            “My dear people,” he began once more, once the crowd had been tamed by the many guards who stood still. The council stood above the crowd, dazed at what Hav would say. So far, Hav had not properly said one line of his “prepared” speech.

“Your king is dead.” Spoke Hav with no sorrow.

            “How could it be?”

            “Murder!”

            The crowd could not control their thoughts or outbursts at this announcement. Was it really true? How had the king been killed? How could it be on such a cheerful day?

            The kingdom of Solmhelm knew the day would come when Hav would announce himself king. They knew that the day would come when he would be crowned. The kingdom new that one day, the crow would deliver his news, but they didn’t know it would happen like this. However, one thought all went through the people’s minds; “Lies!”

            Hav knew that he did not need to go on, so amongst the chaos, he slipped behind the red silk curtains. He called on the four guards which were strategically stationed in the back, and ushered them to take the next plan of action. Raising their swords into the air, the soldiers came out in front of the crowd. All of the guards stationed below amongst the crowd followed. They surrounded the crowd menacingly, pointing their swords forward, slowly by slowly moving in towards the center. Finally the crowd hushed in fear, and the children stopped crying.

            Hav reappeared from the curtains and spoke.

“I am now your king, and you will bow down to me.”

He had too much power. The guests could not believe that the king’s soldiers were in on the plan as well. No one bowed. Hav ran into the crowd and grabbed a peasant child whom finally had enough food on this one day. He held her by her hair like an object. Hav brought out a silver, dull dagger from beneath his cloak and held it up for everyone to see. His eyes reflected the torches among the walls and his hair was damp. He positioned the dagger along her cheek, wiping her tears with the edge. The girl whimpered when the cold blade was brought into her mouth.

            No one in the crowd could believe this was happening, for half of the guards had no notice of this wretched plan. Unwillingly, slowly by slowly, the men, women, and children of the city bowed to the new king of Solmhelm, until all were on their knees and hands on the stone floor. Seeing how easy the throne could be obtained, Hav gave a demonic laugh and slipped the blade out of the young girl’s mouth. Yet he still held on to her hair and dragged her in front of him spoke once more.

            “Puny fools, why do you care for the worthless?” No one said a word. After a moment of silence, he said, “Yes it is true, your king is dead. Do none of you see what a horrible ruler he truly was? Equality. Justice.” He mocked the king. “I shall rule Solmhelm and you all will submit to me.” Again, no one broke the silence in the courtyard.

They all had their heads up, watching the demon. And with that, he very slowly pushed the silver blade into the child’s throat. Blood dripped from the dying body and he let the girl drop. Hav kicked the body off the stained stage. There was no screaming. There was no crying. There was no shock. There was only silence in the courtyard.

            “I am your king.” He repeated once more.

            The new king of Solmhelm dropped the bloody blade onto the stage, which made a clank and slipped past the curtains behind him. Hav ushered one of the guards to take command and he walked briskly to his horse stationed nearby. He hitched his foot into the strap and pulled himself onto his steed. Two other guards rode up next to him, their swords out. Following Hav, they rode on the cobblestone street, past the shops and past the homes. Hav held a wooden torch in one hand as they rode in the night. In a matter of seconds, they arrived to the large wooden metal and Hav told the confused guards stationed in front, to open it. The three rode out of the archway, ducking under the metal bars which protruded from the top, and into the large plain of grasses and hills. Behind them, on a large hill sat the town of Solmhelm as they rode to the king’s castle underneath the bright sky. Hav knew this plan would succeed, for the old king had made the people weak. 
Yet what he did not know, was the true king of Solmhelm was not dead


© 2013 MSal


Author's Note

MSal
Please, please, please leave comments. I want to know if you readers enjoy my work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on November 3, 2013
Last Updated on November 4, 2013
Tags: fantasy, The Fall of Obviohelm, MohammadSaleem, MSal


Author

MSal
MSal

TX



Writing
Nancy Nancy

A Story by MSal