Precious Lambs and my Epiphany

Precious Lambs and my Epiphany

A Story by Rev Edward McClelland
"

My long journey to the truth.

"
      
                                                        

                Precious Lambs and my Epiphany.

 

We had been suburb dwellers. For me, for my entire life. For my wife, a return to it. The move in many ways brought a new way of living for us.


We had purchased an old farm house with needed much renovation. Among one of the problems we faced was a back yard with a steep incline with enormous overgrowth and lurking in the growth were the largest spiders that I had ever seen in my life. Walking by high growth you could actually stare the Spiders straight in the face as they were perched high.


We had already bought some chickens and at the time we did consume chicken eggs and at one trip to the feed store I asked the owner if he knew any inexpensive ways to clear brush. He said "Yes. Goats and Sheep. Keep them in your barn in the evenings and let them graze during the day".


So I searched around town and found several of each. The sheep were young but were heading for slaughter and the goats were a nuisance to their owner and they wanted to get rid of them and I was coaxed by my wife to save them all.


Eventually at different times of the coming year, baby lambs and goats were born and one day as I was outside relaxing watching them all I called out to them and the babies fearfully ran to their mother just as a human baby would do to escape harm and I thought to myself, that they are not so different than human beings and what kind of psychopath am I for eating the flesh of animals.

 

We had in the meantime joined a local church and were attending, but I was often made to feel like the oddball for not eating the flesh that was on the cafeteria tables after services, which drew the attention of the Pastor who seemingly passed off the lives of animals as to nothing more than inanimate objects.

I had looked into the eyes of animals and knew they were gentle souls and stated more than once that it is wrong to people who questioned me on why I wasn’t eating.


On one Sunday morning during hunting season the Pastor standing close to me had asked a local member if he had gotten any deer on his hunting trip the day prior and the man replied "I got one of the young ones but the mother got away, I'll get her next year". To which the Pastor patted him on the shoulder and congratulated him. I thought to myself what kind of horrible people are these and which God do they worship? Certainly not one of love. My wife and I would never return there after that day.

Over the years it has never ceased to amaze me, how meat eaters suddenly become experts on nutrition and theology when you tell them you are a Vegan.


A few of the more frequent and stupidest things that I hear most are:


1. Oh. You have to take supplements if you are going to be a Vegan. 

2. Oh. you will have to eat Soy to get complete proteins.

3. God put animals here for us to kill for meat.

4. Jesus ate lamb and fish.


All of these above statements, one through four are completely false.


A vegan does not need supplements if that person eats a variety of plant based foods and all proteins do come originally from plants and no one has ever been hospitalized for being a Vegan. The same thing Cannot be said for meat eaters


Rev. Edward McClelland

02/6/2022

 


© 2024 Rev Edward McClelland


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

interesting. this definitely caught my attention. Keep writing. I enjoyed reading.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Rev Edward McClelland

1 Year Ago

Thank you!
I would never judge anyone who is Vegan! I am a meat kind of person, but that does not give me the right to treat ones who doesn't eat meat differently! Interesting read!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 6, 2022
Last Updated on January 19, 2024
Tags: Vegan, Vegetarian