A Goose's life.

A Goose's life.

A Story by Rev Edward McClelland
"

This is a work of fiction, though I do gather my ideas from caring for and interacting with my geese that I rescued.

"
A Goose life.         By Rev. Edward C. McClelland.
 This is a work of fiction, though I do gather my ideas from caring for and interacting with my geese that I have rescued. The method, I mostly have used over the years is that I scan local advertisements looking for Geese. Some keep them as pets, others raise them for meat. One such person asked me, how I want to goose, Defeather and fresh or frozen?  My reply was, that I want them alive and breathing . That has never been a problem with people as even the people that raise them for meat, often get attached to them as they are very nice creatures to interact with. They all each have their own personalities and they show many emotions that humans show, and they communicate them with honks when distressed or hungry and they show affection with rubbing up to other Geese and occasionally to me who they regard as the bringer of sustenance and protection and they sound greetings when I arrive home and know me apart from any other human being. Chapter 1. Born into and leaving this place of death. All geese were hatched in this pen and closely guarded by their parents against all would-be predators. Christmas of all days was the saddest time of the year for this gaggle of Geese. One of them would be picked by the two-legged ones, to die each year on this day. What was this day of murder all about? And why did these two-legged follow it? Big Jim Gander loved his mate and his little goslings and was constantly worried for their safety. He had known his, one and only mate since they themselves were goslings and there seemed no escape for them from this evil day and he couldn’t understand why it had to be. One day things changed. The male two-legged creature, that normally came and brought food and water and would come to kill one goose each year was absent, and for days, no one brought food or water and it seemed like it would be a sad and horrific end for this entire community. On the third day most were noisily carrying on with nasal honks of hunger and thirst It was now evening, and darkness permeated the goose pen and Jim wondered about the future days and tried to have some hope and thought that perhaps, even the darkest night will end, and the sun will rise. The following morning a different two-legged came and started talking kindly to the entire population of Geese. No one trusted him and he attempted to catch each one for transport to the new home and chased each one around the pen until he caught us all one at a time. He continued talking kindly, repeatedly, telling us not to worry and that he would take good care of us and would never hurt any of us. He loaded all up into cages, and we traveled far. It took many months before any of us trusted this two-legged. He only showed us kindness and referred to himself as our Daddy and showed us all caring and love, which was something none of us were used to. Chapter 2. Getting to know the new neighborhood. It seems whenever things are going well, there is someone who tries to upset things and we had to learn all over again as to who we could trust and who to be careful of and avoid. The two legged that we now called Daddy had thought of our security and placed large boulders around our pen to prevent any creatures from digging their way in. That did not stop the big Raccoon along with some smaller followers, who we all had watched appear from the distant woods on the western side of the land from digging and attempting to move one of the rocks to gain entrance. After several failed attempts to move a rock, we all stood and honked and told them to go away for their own good. Then said the large Racoon to us, “If you surrender yourself to us and allow us to consume your brains, then you will become part of us, having adventures that you can now only dream of.” Big Jim Gander, disgusted by the big Racoon’s attempts of persuasion, tried to answer him, but Lucy Goose piped right in, saying “When our Daddy, who is a two-legged, sees you, he will put forth his special hand that sends death and he will take your lives and then he will hang you all from the tree with a vine, as a warning to any other predators like yourself and as an embarrassment to you. That is what you will get if you attempt to break into our pen. The big Raccoon now realized that this would not be easy pickings and he and his smaller flunkies then left but were still trying to plan a future way into the Geese pen. 
One morning after hearing the most blood curdling scream, into view came a large creature that looked like a weasel. He was a male and was known as a Fisher. He had large sharp looking teeth that looked like they belonged to a larger creature. He also had large, long claws and he crawled along at a fast pace, close to the ground. Without warning, the creature threw himself hard against the chain-link fence, like it was expecting to go right through it. Pain did not seem to be a bother to the creature, and he let out another aggressive blood curdling scream directed at all the geese and especially at Big Jim Gander, attempting to unnerve everyone. Then Big Jim Gander spoke to Fisher, saying, “I have heard stories of creatures like you, and I am well prepared for you. You are an abhorrent, earth walking demon and a probable creation of the Archons. You only know killing and you will even eat your own young when you are able. You neither love nor are loved and you only exist to do harm to others. Our Daddy constantly has his eyes and ears out looking for you and will kill you without hesitation. Fisher Cat replied, I have no fear and I do what I must, and I have seen the female of the two-legged and have even cornered her. The sweet smell of her fear still lingers in my nostrils and her fright was a perfect delight to me, and she barely got away from me. Next time, I will get her. Suddenly Angel Goose, who is a small beautiful white goose who through no fault of her own developed a condition known as Angel Wing from too much protein in her diet as a Gosling, piped in and said to Fisher Cat, we all know how evil you are, but I still kneel and pray for you every evening before I go to sleep, because, I do believe that there is some goodness in you. Brenda Goose then retorted, saying, “Do not give any creature the benefit of the doubt and automatically think that there is some goodness in them. Some, even among the two-legged, are born evil and vicious, and then Lucy Goose said, you not only have to fear our Daddy, but you must fear his four-legged soldiers, he calls German Shepherds. They are large with long noses, have four legs, run fast and have large, razor, sharp teeth and without fail do whatever Daddy bids them to do and if they even see you, my friend, you will be gone like the snows of yesteryear. 
 This is a work in progress and there is more to follow. ~ Rev. Edward C McClelland 09/18/2023

© 2024 Rev Edward McClelland


Author's Note

Rev Edward McClelland
This is a work in progress. I hope to continue stories of my freinds, the Geese.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful writing. The theme of story is attractive. Good work

Posted 7 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
1 Review
Added on September 18, 2023
Last Updated on January 8, 2024
Tags: rescue, Geese, sanctuary, animals, Vegan