Chapter VII

Chapter VII

A Chapter by Chelsea Marie

Chapter VII

    Havock woke with a start, feeling strangely energetic. Maybe I dreamt about something good he thought to himself. He stretched his bones before getting up from the bed, looking through the small room’s only window. The sun was just beginning to peek above the hills upon the horizon, greeting the new day with a gentle hello. Havock stood up and walked over to a table near the end of his bed, where a bowl of fresh water had been placed for him. He washed the sleep out of his eyes with the water, softly rubbing his face dry with a cloth. “This is going to be a good day,” he assured himself. He dressed himself in a white cotton swordsman shirt, loosening the ties at the top of it, and a pair of black trousers. He fastened his boots and belted his sword to his waist, then slipped out through the door. 

    The house was so quiet, he feared that everyone had left. He could smell the smoke from a fire along with the scent of something baking. He walked down the hallway passed numerous  bedrooms to a doorway to the kitchen. Esperanza was sitting on a stool in front of a large hearth, reading a large bound book. “Good morning, Havock,” she said, not looking over at him. She had a habit of knowing almost everything. “Good morning, ma’am,” he said. 

    “How did you sleep, dear?”

    “Actually well, thank you. I had pleasant dreams.”

    Esperanza nodded, giving him a small smile and going back to her reading. “I’ll be out back, improving my technique,” he left the room and found a door near the end of the hallway, following it outside into the backyard. The yard stretched for many acres, reminding Havock of how lucky Esperanza was to be this far out in the middle of nowhere. He was certain that she would disagree, resenting the fact that she was a pariah, but he was able to look at it with a more positive outlook. As a blacksmith, he was forced to deal with other people day in and day out, whether he wanted to or not. He preferred this lifestyle; being as far away from others as possible, living off of the land and finding happiness in the simplicity of life. 

    Esperanza had many large gardens, filled with strange looking herbs and flowers, most likely used for magicks. He pulled himself back into focus, drawing his sword and preparing his stance for practice. His father had taught him many of the most powerful sword fighting techniques, one of which had earned the title of “Phoenix Fire”. This was what Havock had been perfecting for months; it was the last technique his father had taught him before he had passed away. Havock remembered his father as if he had never left. As if he were standing next to him, watching his hand at the sword. Havock remembered the way his father looked in his prime. He had been a tall man, muscular from many years at the forge. But as imposing as he was, the man never stopped smiling, never stopped teaching Havock the lessons of life. He was the greatest man Havock had ever known.

    Havock closed his eyes, allowing his energies to gather within his core. He thrust the sword upward, swinging it around himself and turning his body. He stepped forward, swinging the sword downward then upward again. This is the hard part Havock thought, his muscles beginning to tense. Exhaling, he leaped at least 6 feet from the earth. Somersaulting in mid-air,  he descended, thrusting the sword downward with all of his strength. Havock stood, frozen for what seemed like hours, breathing in and out. Perspiration dripped from his face. “I did it...” he whispered to himself. He couldn’t believe it. For months, he had tried countless times. The technique had finally allowed him to use it. 

    “That is one good looking skill,” Kaizair was leaning against a doorframe, with a pleased look on his face. Havock recuperated, standing up straight. “Thank you,” he said, wiping the sweat from his face. 

    “I assume a great master taught you that technique.”

    “Yes. My father. Keeping up on my swordplay has been one of the things that has kept his memory alive.”

    “I’m sorry...”

    “It’s fine. I am coping. This journey is allowing me to expand my horizons and look for light, even in dark places.”

    Kaizair approached him, drawing his own sword. “Why don’t you show me how well you have been trained?” Kaizair smiled, confidence filtering throughout his expression. Havock raised his eyebrows and smiled. “You’re on. Allow me to see the mastery of the Esterallian swordsmen,” he readied his stance, Kaizair following the same suit. They faced each other, wondering if a new found respect would be settled between them. “The only limitations are that we are not allowing to kill each other. All magicks can be used. Hold nothing back,” Kaizair said, smiling malevolently at the earth mage. Havock nodded, focusing on the fire mage’s stance. His father had taught him of the fire users. They were extremely aggressive fighters, pairing themselves with large, two-handed weapons. Kaizair was the spitting image of a fire mage, putting Havock on edge. This is for you, father he thought to himself. The wind gently blew their hair as they faced each other, until finally their thoughts were on the same wavelength: Begin.

    Kaizair was the first to move, coming at Havock with a few wide range swings. Havock countered with his sword, giving himself a large amount of distance from the edge of Kaizair’s blade. Havock channeled energy throughout his free hand, drawing a large chuck of rock from the earth and hurling it toward his foe, knocking him swiftly to the ground. Recovering almost as fast as light, Kaizair smiled, “Beginning with the magic early, I see. I like your style. Two can play that game.” He motioned a circle in the air with his hand, a flame igniting and following its motion. He flashed it in front of his face, making himself seem more intimidating, then launched a flame at Havock, who blocked it with another chunk of earth.

    The ground seemed to shake beneath the chilling sound of clashing swords and the artistic display of fire against stone. The two were dripping with sweat as they ferociously attacked and countered each others blows. They were so equally matched, their techniques similar yet  on such opposite spectrums. In a change of events, Havock ducked down and jabbed Kaizair in the shin with the pommel of his sword, knocking him to his feet. Before the fire mage was able to recover, Havock pointed his sword at his neck. “I admit defeat,” Kaizair said, dropping his sword and throwing up his arms. Havock returned his weapon to its scabbard and extended his hand to Kaizair to help him to his feet.

    “You, my good sir, are a true warrior,” Kaizair wiped his brow, breathing heavily. “You as well, my friend,” Havock smiled, bowing to his adversary. Kaizair bowed in return, holding out his hand for Havock to shake. The regarded each other with a respect that neither of them had ever experienced. They had been secretly worried that they would not get along, seeing as how they both had feelings for the same woman. But a friendship had sparked between them, one that had surprised the both of them.

  • * * * * * * * * * * *

    Eona woke up just as the sun was reaching its full height. Normally she would have woken hours before, but the night before had taken an unfriendly toll on her ability to sleep. She walked over to the window, looking into the backyard to see Kaizair and Havock sitting on the ground with each other, sipping tea and laughing as if they had gone years without true happiness. She smiled, wondering if she and Marrin could become that close. Eona could tell that Marrin did not like her, but why, she did not know. She figured that for some odd reason it had something to do with Kaizair. I should speak with him she thought, turning away from the window and looking through her pack for something to wear. She decided to dress comfortably, throwing on a light but beautiful blue gown made of rare Elven silk. She walked over to a wooden vanity desk at the corner of the room, looking at herself and shrugging, unimpressed. She fluffed out her dress and brushed through her hair, allowing it to fall in tight curls over her shoulders.

    She strapped her quiver to her back, followed by her bow, just to be safe and exited the room. She walked down the hallway and noticed Marrin and Esperanza in the kitchen, talking something about medicines and herbs. “Well, good morning, dear,” Esperanza said, greeting Eona with a warm smile. Marrin barely looked up. “Good afternoon is more like it. It would be nice if all of us could sleep as late as you,” she said crudely, returning to whatever it was that she had been doing. Eona looked away, feeling terrible. Esperanza noticed immediately, yet said nothing. “The boys are out in the yard, Eona. Just in case you’re interested. I’m teaching Marrin new ways to make medicine from the herbs I grow, so she can bring some with you for your journey,” the old mage said, hoping to lighten the mood. “Alright...that’s great. I’ll be outside,” Eona left as quickly as she could. Why was Marrin acting this way? What had Eona ever done to her?

    She joined the men in the backyard, both of them looking up at her and holding their breath. They hoped that the other hadn’t noticed. “Good afternoon”, Eona said, “Kaizair, may I  speak with you, alone?” The fire mage raised an eyebrow, wondering what she possibly needed to speak with him about. “Of course,” he replied, looking at Havock in confusion and standing up. They walked away from where Havock was sitting, near one of Esperanza’s many flower gardens. “So, what do you need to speak with me about all of a sudden?” he asked. Eona looked away, embarrassed. 

    “Kaizair...I know this is going to sound strange, but...Do you have feelings for me?” she finally asked. Kaizair’s eyes widened. He had hoped that he could contain his feelings, that she would never find out that he had succumb to her beautiful smile and gracious nature. He looked at the ground, feeling ashamed.

    “Yes. Yes I do.”

    “I see...”

    “Eona, I’ve never known a woman like you. You’re so caring, so strong, so beautiful. I mean, what can I say? You caught me off guard so quickly. I didn’t know what to do with myself.”

    “Kaizair...the reason I ask is because I’m trying to understand why Marrin hates me. I’ve done nothing to her, but she insists of treating me like a demon. I think it has something to do with you. I’ve seen the way she looks at you, and maybe I’m only making assumptions, but I can see how fond of you she is.”

    “I noticed that as well...” Kaizair looked away, for he had learned the cold hard fact. Eona wanted nothing to do with him in that manner. Eona felt terrible, looking upon Kaizair in that moment. She had appreciated the sentiment, but she knew that he did not love her, that he was purely infatuated. She just wanted him to realize that for his own benefit. She looked up at him, trying to smile. “Kaizair...I’m sorry. I really am. I just don’t feel that way for you. My heart is already taken...”

     “Yes, by Havock. I assumed as much. Well, I will not be bitter. Whether or not my real feelings for you subside, I will still feel honored to call myself your friend. Havock is a respectable man. If there is a future for the both of you, I wish you nothing but happiness. In the mean time, I will speak with Marrin. And don’t worry, I won’t mention that you brought it up to me,” he smiled at Eona, reassuring her that everything would be okay. She nodded, taking his hand for a slight moment and whispering, “Avnasii, Kaizair. Avnasii portu” She left his presence, returning to Havock and asking him how he had slept.

    Kaizair stood still for a long moment. He didn’t understand the elvish language, but he whispered beneath his breath, “You’re welcome.”

* * * * * * * * * * * *

    “How are you coming along with mincing the Follok herb, dear?” Esperanza was stoking the fire in the hearth, occasionally looking up at Marrin to see if she had completed her task. She was crushing the herb in a pestle, grinding it up as much as Esperanza needed. “Here, ma’am. I think this is as good as you need it,” Marrin handed her the bowl. Esperanza smiled, detecting a small amount of bitterness in the air mages voice. “This is perfect, thank you,” she took the bowl and began adding water to it. “What is troubling you, young mage?” Marrin stared at the ground for a few moments. 

    “Nothing...”

    “Marrin, dear. I have been around for a very long time. I can, at the very least, tell when another woman is upset.”

    “I’m caught in a rut, if you must know.”

    “What do you mean?”

    “I am already not getting along with my teammates. How can they rely on me if my emotions are taking ahold of me? Kaizair took me by surprise so fast...That’s how I met him you know? He saved me from these drunk men that were about to take advantage of me. Then I join their little group and what do I find? He’s already got his heart wrapped around that Elf. The nerve of that wench...”

    Esperanza looked at Marrin with such shock it flared sparks from the fire. Marrin inhaled sharply, hoping with all of her being that Esperanza would not use magick to tear her apart. “Marrin, I am surprised at you. You and your people are known for their kindness and generosity. And especially with you being an air mage. You are better than vulgar language, and even better than succumbing to simple jealousy,” the older mage began to stir the water and herbs together until it became a thick paste. 

    She grabbed an empty vial off of the table and then began to fill it with the paste. Marrin looked away, ashamed of herself. “I know. I know. I am better than that. It appears that being out of my temple’s practice for so long has influenced me. Darker emotions have set it...” Marrin exhaled, gathering a few filled vials from the table and putting them into her pack. As the priestess of her companions, she was also a powerful healer. She had made herself responsible for handling and making all of the remedies her team might require. Esperanza was proficient in healing magicks and had taken time to teach Marrin about many of the plants that she might encounter on their journey. These few vials were just something to get them started.

    “So why, exactly, are you so jealous of Eona? From my understanding, she has done nothing wrong to you. She does not have feelings for Kaizair, despite what you may think. He may be infatuated with her, but once he comes to realize that her heart is taken by someone else, his heart will be open,” Esperanza looked up at her expectantly. The air mage took time to think. She had no reason to dislike Eona, for she had been nothing but kind. She figured that it was the negative powers on envy taking over her perception.

    “Look at her!” Marrin exclaimed, “She’s talented, smart. And above all, beautiful! I’ve never seen a woman as pretty as her. I guess I’m just angry because my whole life I have dreamed of being a woman like that. A woman like my mother...” 

    Esperanza looked at her, putting a soft hand on the young mage’s shoulder. “Marrin, we must strive to be our own person. It is one of the many reasons for living. The only way to ever find peace with yourself and the universe is to be content with who you are. Be happy for every moment, and if you don’t like yourself, change yourself. Be a good person who sees light in the darkest of caves. You are more than you know, Marrin. When I look at you, I see a smart, talented, beautiful young woman, who is stuck between the enlightenment of her temple’s teachings and the reality of the world. Keep to the path and you will find your way,” Esperanza smiled at the mage, hoping she had gotten through. 

    Marrin was holding back tears, missing the words of her mother’s voice. She missed being home, missed being a priestess. The sickness that destroyed many people’s lives in her village had taken away her family too. For a long while, she wondered why their god had spared her, had forced her to live a lonely life without the warm, consoling arms of her family. She looked up at Esperanza, a small tear falling down her cheek. “I’m so sorry. I’ve been selfish. I miss my home so much...” she wrapped her arms around the old mage, desperate to be consoled. Esperanza stroked her hair. “There, there. Now, let’s see if I can teach you how to make any other medicines,” she smiled, letting go of Marrin and gesturing for them to return to their work. 

* * * * * * * * * * * *



© 2012 Chelsea Marie


Author's Note

Chelsea Marie
I welcome criticisms, as long as it is civil. Thank you :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on September 20, 2012
Last Updated on September 20, 2012
Tags: fantasy destiny elements magick


Author

Chelsea Marie
Chelsea Marie

MI



About
Well, let's see... Hmm... My name is Chelsea, and of course I consider myself a writer. While I am fond of many other forms of art, including drawing or making music, I have always been fond of writ.. more..

Writing