Yop

Yop

A Story by ElephantGuy
"

Rising above the din...

"

I don't visit this cafe often enough to get much of a buzz. More often, I'm at my own coffeehouse -- my blog, () which I call my Coffee Cup. Still, I want to visit and meet the regulars here, perhaps get into some conversations.

 

My debut novel, which hasn't been sold yet much less published, includes a couple scenes in a coffee shop -- rather, it's a coffee shop disguised as a pastry shop -- and to me that setting is apropos of much in American writing these days. Aspiring writers often spend time in coffee shops tapping away at their keyboard between sips of bitter blend. No suprises to anyone who reads this post, I'm sure.

 

It's hard to rise above the din of a coffee shop if we're all doing the same thing -- sipping and typing, that is. And when I find myself lost in the crowd I think of one of my favorite elephants of my youth: Horton. Dr. Seuss described Horton as unceasingly loyal to the little people of Who-ville, and I think that stuck with me. I won't get into the whole symbol of this story being about battling abortion; I'm an elephant guy.

 

And as an elephant guy, I think the overriding message is that people need to speak up and be heard, and sometimes in order to do this, we need the help of others.

 

I think I'll start with a Yop.

© 2008 ElephantGuy


Author's Note

ElephantGuy
All are welcome....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on March 5, 2008

Author

ElephantGuy
ElephantGuy

NJ



About
I'm a professional writer and editor, covering the business of philanthropy and nonprofit organizations. I also write freelance pieces on business, sports, the arts, education, health and healthcare, .. more..

Writing