Battle Scars

Battle Scars

A Poem by Elisa
"

I wrote this for a friend who is battling depression. I wanted to let them know that they're strong and this isn't a battle they have to fight on their own.

"
I will not keep your secret,

Not this time.
I’d rather lose you as a friend than watch as the paramedics take your pulse and pry me away because I won’t believe it’s too late.

I will not explain to your mother how you were an abstract artist painting pictures on your wrist with a razor.

I will not watch as the dirt falls from my hand into a six foot hole.

I’ve already been there; I’ve already done that; don’t make me do it again, I can’t.
The final crowd you draw will not be dressed in all black.

I will not tell our friends how this was an unbeatable battle that finally got to you because this is a battle you can win.

You’re hearts still beating, you’re still here, this isn’t over yet, put the blade down, I’m on my way,
I will help you, let me help you. You and I are in this fight together and you know how much I hate losing.

Let me show you that this world cruel as it is is beautiful too.
Let me show you all the people who will stand by your side because we all care about you, we are all here for you.

I will sit next to you and we will tell your mother together; we’ll tell her about the civil war you’ve been fighting against yourself; and I will stay seated on that couch until she finally understands.

I will throw all the blades away and show you that overtime those scars will heal; and if they don’t, I’ll teach you how to wear them with pride because those scars are battle scars and they’ll show everyone that you survived when no one else thought you would.

I will show you that in this world of loneliness you will never truly be alone.

And if I ever do lose you, I will spend every 11:11 wish to get you back, every shooting star, every birthday candle because how are we supposed to be princesses in our very own castle if you aren’t even here to see it.

So no, I won’t keep your secret, but you better believe I won’t back out on you either.

© 2017 Elisa


Author's Note

Elisa
Please ignore the formatting since the poem was originally written to be heard not read. Let me know what you think, I'd love feedback. Hope you liked it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kat
This is beautiful. Briliant message.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Brave message.you are a true friend.reading this you are able to show the subject of your story the world is a much better place with them in it.finely written

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 4, 2017
Last Updated on December 4, 2017

Author

Elisa
Elisa

Writing
I Know I Know

A Poem by Elisa