Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by elizabethhowes2016

The land of Seoid was an unforgiving place. The summers with days hot and miserable for any breathing thing and nights that dropped tens of degrees as soon as the sun sank out of sight. The winters were cold enough to freeze fire. It was not a place any innocent or sane person would dare wander too far from his or her home.

Not many could make it one night in its wilderness, so it was odd for a young woman to be out there on her own.

Evin Sonders, a girl of nineteen, walked through the woods of the region Coillte. It was one of the few places in the barren land to have an abundance of plants and wildlife. Its forests were dangerous, but they offered shelter from the heat. The hood of her green cloak was pulled over her head to block any sunlight that peeked through the treetops, covering all of her face except for her nose, lips, and chin. Her nose was a normal size, tilting up just slightly at the tip. Her lips were chapped from thirst. Surely a town or some camp is nearby she thought to herself as she walked over tree roots and ducked under branches. It was hours, close to dark, before she heard any sign of other people.

There were sounds of gruff voices laughing and hollering and echoes of mugs clinking. Most importantly, there was the smell of meat roasting. The scent flew into Evin's nose, causing a small grin to appear on her face. She had finally found a source of food and drink after a day of nothing but traveling.

Blending into the shadows easily with her dark clothing, Evin snuck to the trees surrounding the encampment and watches. It seemed to be filled with some real tough guys who were doing nothing but drinking barrels of what was labelled "mead" and eating giant chunks of meats. Next to the biggest one was a chest and several bags filled with valuables that were definitely not taken legally.

Figuring that - as bandits - they probably weren't very welcoming people, Evin hoped that maybe they'd get drunk and just all pass out so she could sneak in and take some food and mead for the road.

Luck seemed to favor her as all but a couple fell asleep right where they were. The two remaining plunderers got up and started walking around the camp, leaving the center empty and unwatched. Seizing the opportunity, Evin slinked out of the brush and opened her canteen, filling it with mead. After taking a mug and filling it too, she grabbed some meat and started eating and drinking as she walked towards the trees on the other side of the camp until something caught her eye.

The chest next to the biggest man was filled with gold and countless gems, but that wasn't what snagged her attention. It was a key that seemed to have a slight copper-colored glow to it. Stuffing her cheeks full of the meat, she slowly tiptoed over. The bandit was fast asleep on the chest, his elbow pinning down the end of the key.

Indecision swept over Evin. She didn't know whether to risk taking the key and waking him up or just to leave and play it safe. After a few moments, the man snored loudly, causing Evin to jump and back up, but he just kept sleeping.

It was with that that Evin made her decision. She was going to take the chance. Slowly reaching down with her little hand, she started to pry the key out from under his elbow, gently wiggling it this way and that. As she got it free and nabbed some gold, the man let out another monstrous snore, making her gasp. Her hand flew up and covered her mouth, her golden hazel eyes wide with the worry that she woke them up.

Moments passed by with no man stirring. Relieved, Evin starts heading back into the trees, about to step into the bushes just as a harsh yell is directed to her. "Oi! Where d'ya think yer goin' wit' that?"

It was one of the men who had been watching the camp. His voice sounded like he'd gotten more than a few teeth knocked out. Shaking, Evin looked over her shoulder at him, shoving the key in her brown leather bag. The yelling had woken up most of the others.

The next few minutes, they all stayed still, Evin from fear and the bandits from a drunken stupor. Nothing happened until Evin threw the empty metal mug of mead she had at the big guy in senseless panic, hitting his near-empty head. A roar erupted from him as it hit and within seconds he had his axe and was running after her.

Wide-eyed and scared, Evin started sprinting off down the dirt road that had been made through the woods, a hoard of drunken criminals stumbling after her. It was quite a spectacle for the guards stationed at the wall of the nearby city. The guard in charge of the gates rolled his eyes and opened it just enough for Evin to slip inside to safety. He barely got it closed in time.

Once the gate was securely shut and locked, the guard turned to the girl as she dropped on her hands and knees. Wheezing, Evin coughed and laughed weakly, "heh... Thanks... I was really getting... bored with running." She glanced at him from over her shoulder.

The hood had fallen off during the chase, showing the rest of her face and her hair. Her eyes - partially covered by little strands of auburn waves - had a permanent glint of mischief. Sweat had formed on her forehead and lip. Her face seemed a bit pale from all that stress on her tired body. The guard rolled his eyes and grabbed her by the arm, pulling her to her feet.

"Silly girl, why were you out so late?" He sounded unamused as his brown eyes looked her over carefully, "you don't look well. Are you from here? Where is your home? I'll have a guard walk you there."

"Just... tell me where the nearest tavern is," Evin laughed a bit again "I need a drink after all that."

The guard just rolled his eyes and pointed her to the nearest tavern, hoping against hope that he wouldn't have to deal with a certain traveler later that night.



© 2016 elizabethhowes2016


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
Added on June 18, 2016
Last Updated on June 18, 2016
Tags: adventure, fantasy, fiction, irish, irish based, talamh oir, land of gold, story, book, novel, chapter one