Fade away...

Fade away...

A Story by Ellen Brook

The rain had stopped banging on the window panes. The girl sitting indoors sat dreamily waiting for 'something'. As the sun's slanted rays poured in through the permeable glass door, she broke from stance and peeped through the translucent window. 
"At last", she whispered to herself as she gazed at her own reflection on the window - brown haired and hazel eyed. As she gazed more deeply and dived in the depth of her eyes, she noticed something for the first time - there was a swirl of of wind swiveling in her eyes like a slow motioned funnel of whirlwind. She felt lighted as her heart gave a leap of joy and hope again.

She was now the MAVEN OF WIND. Just like her father.

She was something "else" that didn't just fit perfectly in the jigsaw of this world. Something that differentiated herself away from the crowd. But she didn't mind this at all. She just liked to be one of the "One".
Today, 'her world' was waiting for her to be the next kin.  It was time - at last, after a long, long period of waiting - fourteen years, she had waited. Fourteen long years.  

And today was the day. She sighed like a furnace as she prepared herself for the last test. It was time to go home. HOME.

She said 'Good Bye' to the family that sheltered her these long years of hope. Silently, she shed cold tears - she owed a lot to them. How can she ever pay them back? But there was one thing she could do. One thing. Her love and protection. She left a note for her family along with a small swirl of dusty wind hanging in the mid air. It was meant to protect her loved ones - Protection of the Wind.

She looked back for a last time and left keeping the door ajar. She sighed heavily as she crossed the busy street...the metropolitan area....a tranquil lake....She gazed at her reflection as she passed by - her eyes , grey by now and her hair had a silvery blue hue. She could sense her hands and feet grow stronger- like the Wind. She was an adept manipulator now. 

Anemone - it was her name.

She halted as she reached the windy prairie. She gazed at the sky. The stars seemed closer. No, the sky seemed closer, she thought.She raised her hands to sky and in a blink of an eye, a soft breeze began to blow...then a gale and then a full fledged storm.
Then she was nowhere to be seen.

© 2012 Ellen Brook


Author's Note

Ellen Brook
It's half written from my own experience and half written from my dream I used to have when I was a Maven of Wind...
Indulge and fade away with the darker side of my story...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is quite an amazing story. Each sentence was like a piece of straw and you expertly weaved the straw into a beautiful basket. I don't know how or why, but when I started reading this, I felt like my body was slowing transitioning into a peaceful mindset as I read each line. Very well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, did I just enter into another world? "brown haired and hazel eyed" - is this me or it just happened that I get to have brown hair and hazel eyes which I call brown often? Funny but there are some parallels in this story which has happened to me before minus the "windy" part. But this is a good story in fact. You made a good cliffhanger to keep readers' eyes. And the last part is like a real surprise. Thank you for sharing this one.


Posted 11 Years Ago


This is quite an amazing story. Each sentence was like a piece of straw and you expertly weaved the straw into a beautiful basket. I don't know how or why, but when I started reading this, I felt like my body was slowing transitioning into a peaceful mindset as I read each line. Very well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 16, 2012
Last Updated on April 16, 2012

Author

Ellen Brook
Ellen Brook

India



About
So...here I am. Accidentally landed here. But nevertheless, I like this site. Don't mind if I get too strange sometimes... 4 names 1 person - that's me. I have four pseudonyms each for different fiel.. more..

Writing
Me Me

A Story by Ellen Brook