Someone

Someone

A Story by Ella Hollysworn
"

One fine afternoon is ruined by a single note and a bouquet of roses... and the gifts get even weirder after that!

"

“Ding-dong.” I scrambled up from under the blankets I was wrapped in while watching TV on the floor to answer the door. I wasn’t expecting any visitors or packages that day. I walked to the front of the house and swung open the door to reveal a stocky mail man with a scruff holding a bouquet of roses.

               “Package for Stephanie Mandark?” He asked.

               “That’s me.” I scribbled out my name on his mail-man-clipboard-thingy, took the bouquet, and walked briskly to the kitchen. Who would send me flowers? And how did they know roses were my favorite? I fumbled over the bouquet revealing a small white tag with a note written on it in fancy-schmancy handwriting:

      Dearest Stephanie-

I do hope I chose the right type of flower for you.

I’ve gotten word that roses are your favorite.

Do not be alarmed, beloved. I do not wish to scare you,

Only send my greatest wish for you - to be safe.

Yours Truly,

Someone <3

               Stay safe? Who the heck was this guy? I eyed the roses skeptically, expecting them to hide something else. Uprooting nothing, I ran outside and chucked the flowers into the wood that were behind my house.    

         I tried to get the scenario from my head as quick as I could, and I finally managed to until I got back home from work the next day.

               I walked up to the front door and looked down to see a box signed with my name and address, but no return label. Just a cardboard box. I took it inside and ripped the flaps open, expecting to see something scarring like a body part or something. But, no. There was a shiny black motorcycle helmet inside instead. A note was inside too. It said:

Dearest Stephanie-

I noticed you didn’t own a helmet to go with your

 Harley-Davidson. I just wanted you to

Stay safe if you ever happen to have to get away from

Somewhere quickly. Do not be worried.

 I do not want any harm to come to you.

Yours Truly,

Someone <3

Now at this point, things were getting just plain weird. How did he know I owned a bike? The next day on the way to work, I stopped at the dump to get rid of the black helmet “Someone” gave to me. By then, my next stop was to call the police, but “Someone” actually didn’t do anything wrong.

I tried to hide my fear and anxiety at work. But I couldn’t necessarily hide from “Someone’s” weird mail. I was emailing my client (I’m an accountant) but a new email flew into my inbox. It had no address showing where or who sent it, but it was clearly sent to me. It read:


Dearest Stephanie-

Here I’ve enclosed a link to an online self-defense course. Please, dear, look into it. I would like you to be prepared. Have a nice day at work. Be safe.

Someone <3


What the heck? Why would I need self-defense lessons? What is happening, and what do I need to be prepared for? I decided I  needed some alone time to think things through. I quickly emailed my client, packed up my tote bag, and took the next bus home.

I jogged up to my front door and let out a loud gasp as I tripped over another small package on my door step. Scrambling back up, I grabbed the box and walked inside. Frustrated, I ripped open the box and found a short note:


Dearest Stephanie-

I tried to stop him.

Yours Truly,

Someone <3

Hands shaking, I slowly opened up the box and screamed when I saw the contents.

It was a severed finger.

Grabbing the box with the finger, I ran outside, threw it in the woods, and ran back inside. I fumbled for my phone and called 911. No one picked up. I called again, and still, no answer.

“AREN’T THEY SUPPOSED TO ANSWER EVERY CALL?” I screamed as I chucked my phone across the room. I had enough, a person sent me a freaking body part. That was the last straw. I threw myself on the couch and cried. I wasn’t hiding the fact I was scared anymore. I must have been tired too because I fell asleep with my head on the couch arms.

I woke up to the sun shining through my window. Instantly remembering yesterday’s delivery, my eyes opened wide and looked around. Nothing looked out of the ordinary except a small pink envelope resting on the white marble coffee table.  I lived alone, and I didn’t put it there, so who did?

Slowly, I reached for the envelope and saw that it had Stephanie written on top. I flipped it over, and after weighing my chances, I cautiously pried open the flap. Inside was a cardstock note that had two little words: Look up.

Shaking, I tilted my head to look at the ceiling, and my eyes grew wide. Sloppily written in dripping blood was one message: Run. 

© 2017 Ella Hollysworn


Author's Note

Ella Hollysworn
This is my first horror piece, and I hope you like it! You may have noticed the end is kind of a cliff hanger, and that's because I want to leave you thinking! If any of you have any tips or comments on "Someone" please let me know! I love feedback!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on July 16, 2017
Last Updated on July 16, 2017