Roses in December

Roses in December

A Story by Ella Hollysworn
"

One terrible tragedy makes Cassie question the benefits of memory, but first, Mrs. Gildorn has a few wise words to say.

"
"God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December."
-J.M. Barrie
The afternoon sun shined through my bedroom window as I was trying my best to concentrate on my book. But I couldn't. The scene replayed, over, and over in my head. 

"Sweetheart, put your head down!" My mom yelled at me to the passenger seat. "Close your eyes!"My mom swirved our van around the car in front of us and flew off the highway. The car rolled into a tree on the side of the road. The airbag blew up in my face and I screamed, but I heard nothing from my mom. She was gone. 

The funeral was three weeks ago, but the memory still burned inside my head. I closed my book, giving up on trying to think of something else. My dad was gone because he was working today, even though it was a Saturday. He said we needed the extra money. I took a deep breath and decided I should take a walk outside. 
The breeze pushed my brunette hair behind my shoulders as I walked down the sidewalk. Tears started pooling up in my eyes. If memories made people feel miserable, why would God create them? I crossed my arms and continued down the street and into my favorite cafe. 
I ordered a hot chocolate and sat down in a booth in the corner of the cafe. I was sipping my drink when I heard someone slip down next to me. I looked up and saw Mrs. Glidorn, a little old woman from my church. She must have noticed my red eyes because she started to speak to me. 
" I know it's hard losing your mom, Cassie. I remember when I lost Drake. He was a good man. So was your mother," she said.
She seemed like a reliable source, so I asked her, " If they hurt so bad, Mrs. Gildorn, why does God give us memory?"
"Ya' know, that's quite a hard question," she chuckled, " but I think I know the answer. Tell me, Cassie, do you like roses?"
I nodded my head, thinking hard.
"Well," she continued, " Roses aren't around during the wintertime of course, so how do we still enjoy their beauty? We remember them."
My eyes grew wider as I was catching on.
" Your mother may be gone Cassie, and yes, it was a terrible tragedy. But without our memory, we wouldn't know how much of a wonderful person she was, the great times we shared with her, and how much God blessed us with her. She's in a better place Cassie, and she would be proud of how strong you're being."
Never had anyone talked to me like this before, and it made feel better almost instantly. We even continued talking until dinnertime, when I decided to go back home to my father. I thought he could use some words of wisdom too.

© 2017 Ella Hollysworn


Author's Note

Ella Hollysworn
This is not a true story, but I fully believe the moral is. I hope this can help and inspire those who are reading this. Have a nice day. (;

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on July 17, 2017
Last Updated on July 17, 2017